Anti-shatter film on Z1s

El_Sur

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Anyone tried removing the plastic film on the Z1s? I'm tempted to do so, but not sure if it is worth the hassle. Thanks.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Anyone tried removing the plastic film on the Z1s? I'm tempted to do so, but not sure if it is worth the hassle. Thanks.

I've read posts by people who have removed the film and it is generally NOT recommended. The major impact is that removing the film can void your warranty....Sony wants it on there.

The film is very soft, it is not a screen protector and scratches easily. When I got my Z1s I had a screen protector installed before I left the store. I am thoroughly enjoying my Z1s like this. I have not found or read of any value or benefit to removing the anti-shatter film. My 2 cents.

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I've heard and seen a letter from Sony that removing it does not void the warranty on it. I removed mine because I was tired of seeing all the scratches on the phone after taking it out of my pocket. I did put a matte screen protector on it and it does have a case.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I've heard and seen a letter from Sony that removing it does not void the warranty on it. I removed mine because I was tired of seeing all the scratches on the phone after taking it out of my pocket. I did put a matte screen protector on it and it does have a case.

Sorry....don't know who your sources are but from my perspective they are wrong.

Here are my sources. First, our very own Android Central where they published an article on removing the film and stated at the beginning as a qualifier that removing the film voids the warranty. Here is the link: How to rid your Xperia phone of Sony's anti-shatter film, and what to replace it with | Android Central

Second a thread from XDA Forums (another reputable web site) discussing the film and warranty issue. This thread contains a letter from Sony stating that removing the film does void the warranty. Again, here is the link to the thread: A few words about the Anti Shatter Film - xda-developers

People are welcome to do as they want but removing the film does void the warranty.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

I went to T-Mobile with my z1s which was having screen sensitivity issues especially when it started to get smudges. When I was there the csr said that it was because of the anti shatter film. He told me he could remove the ASF and replace it with a regular screen protector. I said wait a minute... Doesn't that void some kind of warranty? He said nope it doesn't and in fact there is a lot of complaints regarding the same issue I had. So as he was typing notes on my account. I asked him to notate that I was agreeing to let him remove the ASF under the stipulation it wouldn't affect my warranty or jump insurance coverage? Which he did. And showed it to me. He then took a x-acto knife a peeled a small top corner section of the ASF and peeled the rest away with his fingers. The ASF
Is not soft at all. It is thin but rigid plastic that not very transparent. As soon as it was off. I noticed the screen looked a lot sharper and brighter. Also, the viewing angles improved whole lot. Also noticed the screen doesn't seem to wash out to much anymore. Then after the csr installed a regular softer screen protector I tried to type. An what do you know? The key board now feels much more accurate and am able to type almost it seems as fast as my blackberry days. I am very happy without the ASF. But as they say YMWV.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Well, that's a very interesting story! I haven't had the screen sensitivity issues you have described but the story and your described results have me thinking about visiting my local TMo store and making some inquiries. Thanks for sharing.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Well, that's a very interesting story! I haven't had the screen sensitivity issues you have described but the story and your described results have me thinking about visiting my local TMo store and making some inquiries. Thanks for sharing.

I will say this... You will notice a sharper and brighter screen along with improved viewing angles. That is if you decide to get the ASF removed. Btw, the Sony logo will still be there.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

LuvMusic,

Per XDA site concerning ASF.

Hi everyone.

I asked Sony for a clear explanation on the ASF and the warranty concerns that we have. I tried looking through but couldn't see if anoyne else got an official reply from them but here's what they told me in an email:

Quote:
The purpose of the anti-shatter film (ASF) is to make the display on your Sony Xperia Z1 withstand being dropped from greater heights. The anti-shatter film has a positive effect on the sensitivity and accuracy of the touch screen. In the unlikely event of the glass cracking, the ASF can protect against cuts. If you peel off the ASF, the display loses its anti-shatter characteristics.

Removal of the ASF itself doesn?t void the warranty of the device. However, any physical or cosmetic damages to the display where the ASF is removed will void the warranty.

The ASF is unfortunately not scratch resistant, therefore it is not replaced within the warranty if it gets scratches. We advice you to apply a scratch resistant display cover on top of the ASF to protect it from scratches.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Another interesting post. The XDA link in my post above (#4) has a response from Sony which is the exact opposite.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Another interesting post. The XDA link in my post above (#4) has a response from Sony which is the exact opposite.

Hmm... Funny different answers per Sony.

Here is one that was asked over at yahoo answers that was answered by Sony support.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20140416001707AAn8IZq

Best Answer (Chosen by Asker)
Hi Al-nadir. The Xperia Z1 comes with an anti-shatter film over which you may add a screen protector or remove to install a screen protector of your preference. Removing the anti-shatter film will not void its warranty as long as no damage is inflicted on the actual screen, or other parts of the device, in the removal process. - Andr?s
Sony Xperia Support ? 1 month

jefzisgood

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
you mean the sony logo will not go with the asf? how about in the back..i got scractches on the back and i wanted to replace it but im afraid that the logo and prints will go with the asf..

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
you mean the sony logo will not go with the asf? how about in the back..i got scractches on the back and i wanted to replace it but im afraid that the logo and prints will go with the asf..

If you got a T-Mobile Xperia z1s? I can confirm the Sony logo
Will still be on the phone when you remove the ASF.

If you have an unlocked Z1? The Sony logo will peel off with the ASF

Lambertoid

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I had the z1s and they did say the asf would not void warranty if removed I had the same screen sensitivity issue

Posted via Android Central App

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37