Xperia Z2 on AT&T? Please?

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Since I'm due for an upgrade this summer and my One X deserves a break, the Z2 is looking really good right now. The S5, although still a great device, just isn't for me, and while I'm looking forward to what HTC has this year, I kind of want to try something new. Only thing is, I'm not keen of buying unlocked, and I haven't heard of a Sony device being on AT&T. I'm crossing my fingers that AT&T gets, though...

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: Z2 on AT&T? Please?

Since I'm due for an upgrade this summer and my One X deserves a break, the Z2 is looking really good right now. The S5, although still a great device, just isn't for me, and while I'm looking forward to what HTC has this year, I kind of want to try something new. Only thing is, I'm not keen of buying unlocked, and I haven't heard of a Sony device being on AT&T. I'm crossing my fingers that AT&T gets, though...

I'm on the verge of my upgrade as well and I hope AT&T gets the Z2 as well!

ddot196

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I was going to ask about this as well lol. I am on att and would love to have this phone. It seems however that Sony doesn't release their phones on US carriers often. Or they are exclusive. I'd take this one over the s5 though any day of the week! I hope it makes it onto att.

shook187

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site

Why don't you guys just buy the International unlocked version which I'm sure will support AT&T bands

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

jiggyb21

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site

Why don't you guys just buy the International unlocked version which I'm sure will support AT&T bands

Yeah that's my plan. I assume it will be available unlocked at launch, right? I can't remember how soon the Z and ZL were available. Immediately I thought.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site

I'm tempted. But I'm just a student, which means money is pretty tight for me. Considering I go to college soon, I should probably be saving a vast chunk of my money for that. I want to get a new phone, but have money leftover for stuff as well. :p

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site

I've never bought an unlocked phone, so I have a couple of questions. I would plan to use this on AT&T.

Do you have to import these or can you buy the Z2 direct from Sony?

Also, what if you have issues, can the phone be returned as you would if you bought it from the carrier?

I'm assuming it would also be tougher to get support from the carrier since it's not a phone designed specifically for AT&T.

shook187

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site

I'm tempted. But I'm just a student, which means money is pretty tight for me. Considering I go to college soon, I should probably be saving a vast chunk of my money for that. I want to get a new phone, but have money leftover for stuff as well. :p

When I was in your shoes what I did was brought the latest flagship on contract, even if It wasn't the one I wanted. Then sold it on eBay in turn I was able to get the phone I want with the money.

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site

Awww man i started reading about this phone and got all excited, then didn't even realize till i came here that it probably won't come to the US. That sucks a LOT. This looks like an amazing phone =(

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

I'm actually using a NET10 SIM, so the unlocked/international version would be just what I need, without AT&T's special CarrierIQ add-in, not to mention that annoying AT&T address book, and having the thing grab onto every AT&T WiFi hotspot it sees, without being able to disable it.

I love my LG G2, but the AT&T software is REALLY annoying when you don't have AT&T anymore.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site

Interesting. I took my LG G2 from Verizon over to AT&T and told it to forget the AT&T hotspots. It worked.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

Interesting. I took my LG G2 from Verizon over to AT&T and told it to forget the AT&T hotspots. It worked.

That's a Verizon build, that's different. On the AT&T software build the AT&T hotspots are actually part of the software, just like all the other bloatware.

Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk Pro.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site

^ So do you feel the International version of the Xperia Z2 will work OK on Verizon's LTE network?

My only concern is that if the Z2 is similar to the Z1, there were several different versions available. If you got the wrong one, it might work internationally, but not on the AT&T LTE network. You might get it to work on their HSPA+ network, but not necessarily LTE.

I'm pretty sure that AT&T uses channels 4 & 17 for LTE.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

Loaded question. The answer for all intents and purposes is no, because there is no CDMA support, and I think Verizon voice service still goes over CDMA.

Yeah LG is the same with the different models. So is Samsung. No one has created a universal device yet. The person who does is going to be so effing rich....

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

^ So do you feel the International version of the Xperia Z2 will work OK on Verizon's LTE network?

I think you mis-typed this part then. The international version should work fine on AT&T though.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site

You're right, I'm losing it, thanks.

But my concern is in getting the right model (if there actually is more than one). Last year's Z1 had something like 3 or so different models with subtle differences in the frequencies covered. Some people ordered the phone and wound up getting one that didn't work quite right on their carrier.

I'd like to see if there will be that same model diversity or if Sony decided to go with one model encompassing all the frequencies.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site

You're right, I'm losing it, thanks.

But my concern is in getting the right model (if there actually is more than one). Last year's Z1 had something like 3 or so different models with subtle differences in the frequencies covered. Some people ordered the phone and wound up getting one that didn't work quite right on their carrier.

I'd like to see if there will be that same model diversity or if Sony decided to go with one model encompassing all the frequencies.

Doesn't the Snapdragon CPU support CDMA and GSM bands?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiaara