Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Gap in speaker grill?

Hey everyone,

Left a post over on XDA and the sony forums but no real response yet. I know a few people here order the phone as well.

Looking at the phone head on it's hard to tell but at a slight angle I see a small gap between the bezel and part of the speaker grill. Just wondering if other have seen this as well. I don't want to take my phone in the water knowing I may have a defect especially since sony usually doesn't cover water damage.

Take a look at the picture and let me know if you see something similar please
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gap in speaker grill?-photo.jpg  

Default Re: Gap in speaker grill?

Quote Originally Posted by darigaaz12 View Post
    Hey everyone,

Left a post over on XDA and the sony forums but no real response yet. I know a few people here order the phone as well.

Looking at the phone head on it's hard to tell but at a slight angle I see a small gap between the bezel and part of the speaker grill. Just wondering if other have seen this as well. I don't want to take my phone in the water knowing I may have a defect especially since sony usually doesn't cover water damage.

Mine doesn't have that

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So what is wrong with the picture, kinda hard to tell.
    And anyone else who ordered here with an issue like this?

I've returned my M8 due to build issues, and am looking at the Z2.

Global Posts
    9,143 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Quote Originally Posted by Jdane07 View Post
    So what is wrong with the picture, kinda hard to tell.
    And anyone else who ordered here with an issue like this?

I've returned my M8 due to build issues, and am looking at the Z2.
    I haven't heard of this being an issue. It's likely specific to this device or a small percentage of devices in the market.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Hey everyone,

I didn't have a gap in my speaker grille, but I did have a small speck of what appeared to be metal underneath the glass surface of the phone. I didn't even notice it for the first few days, and it was EXTREMELY minor... but once I knew it was there, my eyes always noticed it. I did an exchange with the seller.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    I haven't heard of this being an issue. It's likely specific to this device or a small percentage of devices in the market.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    A small percentage of the small percentage of Xperia Z2s on the market???
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Got a replacement, new ones great

Sent from my D6503 using AC Forums mobile app

I can't really tell what you mean. Mine look like little slits top and bottom

Posted via Android Central App

Got a replacement, new ones great

Where did you order yours from?

It is very hard to tell if you have a black device. IMHO, this issue is very minor.

Quote Originally Posted by AirSupply View Post
    It is very hard to tell if you have a black device. IMHO, this issue is very minor.
    Good to hear. I'll be having my black variant coming soon.

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by AirSupply View Post
    Looked like it was a gasket for waterproofing, very major if this thing hits water, got a replacement unit tho, all good

12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by Jdane07 View Post
    Where did you order yours from?

Genuineonly on eBay

Genuineonly on eBay

That's who I ordered from as well.
    So you just sent him a message listing the issue and he agreed to send a replacement?
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Ya, sent him some pics, showed him the Sony chat I had where they said it shouldn't be like that and sent it back. You do have to pay return shipping to Taiwan tho so be prepared for that lol

Ya, sent him some pics, showed him the Sony chat I had where they said it shouldn't be like that and sent it back. You do have to pay return shipping to Taiwan tho so be prepared for that lol

Well I'm hoping I won't face that issue in a couple days...
    How much was the return shipping? Can't imagine cheap. lol

Got my Z2 early this morning.
    Been playing with it all day so far. Don't have any issues with the gasket or whatever showing in the speaker grill. My Z2 does have an ever so slight gap in the top right corner however, but not anything I'm worried about.

I purchased a Sony z2 from phones for you on the 9th of may that phone had a speaker at the bottom out of alignment so I got it exchanged a week later I noticed the trimming along the side coming away from the phone so I took it back and got another exchange a few hours later when I get home I looked over the phone and noticed a massive gap in the lower left of the phone so I phoned phones4u and explained that this is my 3rd one now with a fault and they said I could go down to a store anyone and pick which Sony z2 I want out of the available ones in store and I do not lie every one of the phones had miss aligned screens and/or trimming around the edge of the phone coming away, I looked at 3 white z2 and 3 black z2 that makes a total of 9 faulty phones in a row.
    I wasn't happy with this so I didn't want a replacement again and upon asking to cancel my contract I get told that I don't have a choice basically I can either have a faulty Sony z2 or a phone to the same value but pay an extra £60 which I do not want, as I would of picked a different one instead of the z2 in the first place, with not much choice I try to decipher the phone with the least amount.of gapping and trimming coming loose, I shouldn't have to be doing that on a 550 pound handset. With no luck from the retailer I tried to get hold of Sony and they basically told me that they are not aware of this and they can not help with the problem I can send my device in for a repair if they deem it under warranty if not I will have a handling charge and have to pay repair costs If I want it repaired, but after hours of discussing with them I gave up and they in a nut shell told me that my best luck is with the retailer who will only supply me with another faulty z2.
    I can send the phone in but I am under no understand if they will accept that to be under warranty and not be funny about it
    I'm pretty stuck tbh with what to do all I can say is please avoid this phone.
    Hey everyone,

Banned

Global Posts
    1,730 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cial bedford View Post
    I purchased a Sony z2 from phones for you on the 9th of may that phone had a speaker at the bottom out of alignment so I got it exchanged a week later I noticed the trimming along the side coming away from the phone so I took it back and got another exchange a few hours later when I get home I looked over the phone and noticed a massive gap in the lower left of the phone so I phoned phones4u and explained that this is my 3rd one now with a fault and they said I could go down to a store anyone and pick which Sony z2 I want out of the available ones in store and I do not lie every one of the phones had miss aligned screens and/or trimming around the edge of the phone coming away, I looked at 3 white z2 and 3 black z2 that makes a total of 9 faulty phones in a row.
    I wasn't happy with this so I didn't want a replacement again and upon asking to cancel my contract I get told that I don't have a choice basically I can either have a faulty Sony z2 or a phone to the same value but pay an extra £60 which I do not want, as I would of picked a different one instead of the z2 in the first place, with not much choice I try to decipher the phone with the least amount.of gapping and trimming coming loose, I shouldn't have to be doing that on a 550 pound handset. With no luck from the retailer I tried to get hold of Sony and they basically told me that they are not aware of this and they can not help with the problem I can send my device in for a repair if they deem it under warranty if not I will have a handling charge and have to pay repair costs If I want it repaired, but after hours of discussing with them I gave up and they in a nut shell told me that my best luck is with the retailer who will only supply me with another faulty z2.
    I can send the phone in but I am under no understand if they will accept that to be under warranty and not be funny about it
    I'm pretty stuck tbh with what to do all I can say is please avoid this phone.
    You can't say based on your misfortune to avoid this phone.

I also ordered from phones 4u around the same time give or take and mine is fine no gaps other than what is meant ie the speakers lol

I do feel for you and that you have encountered this but I find it hard to believe 9 phones in a row were faulty. Not saying it's impossible by any means.

Obviously I can't disprove this nor approve it as legitimate.

All I can say is mine is fine, coming from the same company at around the same time.

I understand it's hard to believe but I have had 4 replacements and being offered a 5th because of this as phones 4u r saying there is nothing else they can do than offer me a replacement again as the guy I saw at the store near me went over 6 different z2's for me to pick this one which everyone of them had miss aligned screens some not so noticeable but others very bad, I did try different stores, I got 2 exchanges in Neath and 1 in Swansea and 1 in Bridgend maybe I'm really unlucky, would be nice to hear what Sony has to say about it though.

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cial bedford View Post
    I understand it's hard to believe but I have had 4 replacements and being offered a 5th because of this as phones 4u r saying there is nothing else they can do than offer me a replacement again as the guy I saw at the store near me went over 6 different z2's for me to pick this one which everyone of them had miss aligned screens some not so noticeable but others very bad, I did try different stores, I got 2 exchanges in Neath and 1 in Swansea and 1 in Bridgend maybe I'm really unlucky, would be nice to hear what Sony has to say about it though.
    Sounds pretty amazing to have such a luck.

Can you provide us with pictures of the faults you mention with the phone you have now?
    I'm one of those cursed people who notice others don't, so I'm kind of curios...
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

My replacement is perfect, no gaps and water proof as expected