Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By raziel
  • 1 Post By Jdane07
  • 1 Post By raziel
  • 1 Post By lontano
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default TheVerge review of Z2 up and says screen brightness is deal breaker

Kind of surprised as they describe the dim screen as a huge flaw, and I've never read that critique before. Did they use a defective device?

Xperia Z2 and Z2 Tablet review: One Sony, two devices | The Verge

Global Posts
    379 Global Posts

Default Re: TheVerge review of Z2 up and says screen brightness is deal breaker

Quote Originally Posted by quietlybrilliant View Post
    Kind of surprised as they describe the dim screen as a huge flaw, and I've never read that critique before. Did they use a defective device?

Xperia Z2 and Z2 Tablet review: One Sony, two devices | The Verge
    I disagree with the Verge review. First off, what kind of a-hole combines two different devices into a single review? That is just pure laziness and it shows on how it is written. And finally I live in Southern California where the sun shines bright and I have no issues using the phone outdoors under direct sunlight. It is no worse nor any better than its competitors such as the iPhone 5S, HTC One M8 and the Nexus 5 which I own all of them.
    Macbook Pro Retina 15" 2013 | iMac 27' 2011 | iPhone 6+ 128GB | Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    ectoren likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by raziel View Post
    I disagree with the Verge review. First off, what kind of a-hole combines two different devices into a single review? That is just pure laziness and it shows on how it is written. And finally I live in Southern California where the sun shines bright and I have no issues using the phone outdoors under direct sunlight. It is no worse nor any better than its competitors such as the iPhone 5S, HTC One M8 and the Nexus 5 which I own all of them.
    I agree with the two-in-one review. The Z2 deserves its own review.
    I don't have mine yet to speak on the brightness issue, but I've owned about 8 phones this last year... all of them are the same in direct sunlight.
    Very unfair review and critiques from the Verge.
    raziel likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks. I'm not too surprised as The Verge reviews have deteriorated dramatically in recent months, both being biased by individual testers without any cross checking by others, and being horribly sloppy (e.g., they destroyed the Moto X and Nexus 7 phones because of the camera firmware, which was dramatically improved right after these reviews came out without the editors ever correcting the poor scores they gave these phones.

Global Posts
    379 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by quietlybrilliant View Post
    Thanks. I'm not too surprised as The Verge reviews have deteriorated dramatically in recent months, both being biased by individual testers without any cross checking by others, and being horribly sloppy (e.g., they destroyed the Moto X and Nexus 7 phones because of the camera firmware, which was dramatically improved right after these reviews came out without the editors ever correcting the poor scores they gave these phones.
    I agree. They have gotten sloppy as their reviews are inconsistent. Plus, you don't see them review the iPhone with the iPad so I don't know what the logic was behind the Z2 reviews...
    Macbook Pro Retina 15" 2013 | iMac 27' 2011 | iPhone 6+ 128GB | Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    ectoren likes this.

I have the z2 and it's set at half brightness on auto adapt to lighting. Just turned that off and put the brightness up to full and it's insane. Id never have it that bright.

Posted via Android Central App
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I wouldn't be surprised if the Verge guy didn't know that there was a brightness setting.

Don't understand that...brightness is more than adequate. I have to turn it down in all but the brightest lighting.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I wonder if it is crazy to imagine that TheVerge was paid by Samsung/Apple for this review. It is already odd that Sony is avoiding the US market with their phone. Could it be that there is pressure on them from the big players? It's just so crazy to give the Z2 a bad overall rating because of its screen and camera. It's like giving a Bugatti Veyron a bad overall rating based on its "performance" sub-rating.

Ya, this phones better in sunlight here in northern California than any other phone I've owned. Last phone being the s4

Sent from my D6503 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    198 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by darigaaz12 View Post
    Ya, this phones better in sunlight here in northern California than any other phone I've owned. Last phone being the s4

Good to know. I really struggled with the s4 in the bright CO sun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Still waiting for mine, but The Verge are usually too busy slapping themselves on the back and telling each other how cool they are to do anything meaningful. I mean, have you listened to their podcasts? Painful! It's the Josh Topolsky Show! Starring a number of fawning lickspittles who kiss his arse and laugh at his meandering and aimless stories... listen to Android Central podcasts then the Verge if you want to see how it should be done, and what happens when people become so self-important that they think everybody wants to hear anything they say...

The claim said that "practically unusable" under sun light is a false statement. I have used mine outside for couple days without any issue. I admit that the screen is not that bright as the M7, but still usable. Don't worry and enjoy your phone.
    Thanked by:

This video was just posted comparing the outdoor performance of the Z2 to the other major flagships. It hardly supports the "deal-breaker" claim.

Global Posts
    198 Global Posts

I have the s5 and the z2 and they perform about the same in direct sun. Not sure what the problem is with the verge unit or review. Seemed like an afterthought in general.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

That review is crud. I took my Z2 out yesterday in the sun on a walk in the country, the screen was perfect and comparable to my HTC one. Guy is a retard.

Really, really weak. This is more of an initial impressions piece than an actual review. The writer seems to rehash popular opinions about competing devices and just run with that instead of telling us what they really think. The list of cons has me laughing.

I'm constantly using mine outside. Is it the best in direct sunlight? No.
    But is it perfectly usable? Yes.

The notion of this being a "deal-breaker" is ridiculous.

The article (not going to give it the title of 'review') is a complete joke.

Only time I find the screen hard to use in sunlight is when watching YouTube and other darker videos but how often do people actually do this outside in the direct sun?

Here's a new video comparing the Z2's screen to the iPhone 5S's in direct sunlight. The Z2 is brighter. I don't recall The Verge saying the 5S had such a serious problem with outdoor visibility.

I realize almost everyone in this forum suspects that that review was biased and unfair already but this should put to rest any lingering doubts.
    Thanked by:
    Andyvalver likes this.

Indeed, The Verge review of Xperia Z2 is biased and unprofessional.

I have Z2 for a week now, I've made a shot of Xperia Z2 and iPhone 5S outdoors both set to auto brightness (max). They look pretty the same for me in terms of reflections and brightness.

TheVerge review of Z2 up and says screen brightness is deal breaker-img_6965.jpg
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Naos View Post
    Indeed, The Verge review of Xperia Z2 is biased and unprofessional.

I have Z2 for a week now, I've made a shot of Xperia Z2 and iPhone 5S outdoors both set to auto brightness (max). They look pretty the same for me in terms of reflections and brightness.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6965.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	250.9 KB 
ID:	117763
    Thanks for that pic, I also own the Z2 and have no difficulties in seeing the screen in sunlight and I don't have the screen at max brightness, so the verge are well off the mark with that claim.