Preliminary Thoughts on the Sony Z2

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
*Sony Xperia Z2... Forgot the Xperia part*

Just received my Z2 this morning.
I purchased a black variant from Genuine-only on eBay on Monday morning. Received tracking info on Wednesday and it was delivered Thursday morning at about 9am. Everyone has praised the shipping of these guys, and I'll echo that sentiment....2-3 days to get this all the way over here from Taiwan is impressive. I don't feel so bad paying $850 considering shipping must have been a ton.

So being a variant from Taiwan, I received the noise-cancelling earbuds (which I've yet to try), the magnetic dock (which is awesome!) and the standard will adaptor.

Here's some early thoughts:

- This thing feels nice. Maybe not as nice as the M8 I returned, but impressive nonetheless. People have complained about size and shape, but I love it. I never feel like it will slip from my hands.

- Lots have complained about hardware issues, but it appears mine is pretty well-made. I have no gaskets or anything showing. However, I have an ever so slight gap on the top right corner. Not something that bothers me (and I am OCD -- I returned the M8 for loose buttons, twice).

- Battery seems legit. Came with a 60% charge. Been using nonstop today and I'm at 6% now with 3 hours and 20 minutes of onscreen time.

- Software is nice. I've owned about every flagship this last year, and this might be the simplest and cleanest skin.

- Speakers are pretty good. Obviously not as loud as the M8, but they are perfectly clear and provide a nice listening experience.

- The vibrator on this is no joke. I had to tone down the vibrations on the Google keyboard for fears of hurting myself.

- Best smartphone camera I've used. I haven't delved to deep into it, but it's better than the M8, G2, Note 3, N5, Moto X, M7 (which I've all owned in the last year).

- The notification light is great. I'm coming off using the M8 for a little bit, so having a multi-colored LED that is very visible is a big plus. It also looks great.

I'll post more thoughts as they come.
Let me know if you have some questions or anything!

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

rjl2

May 4, 2010
Visit site
What carrier are you using it on?

I'm also curious to hear your thoughts after you have used the phone for a few days.

I'm seriously considering the Z2, but that's a lot of coin for a phone.

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
What carrier are you using it on?

I'm also curious to hear your thoughts after you have used the phone for a few days.

I'm seriously considering the Z2, but that's a lot of coin for a phone.

I'm using it on T-Mobile. I'm still in the honeymoon and setup phase obviously, but everything is going very well so far.

Is it worth the $850 so far? For me yes... I sold my Note 3 for $530, so I'm looking at it as paying $300 more.
It's a ton of money straight up, but if you value nice, well-built devices I can say I already recommend it... I haven't found a spot yet in which it is lacking.

Posted via Android Central App

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Nice quick review. Tell me more about the LED! And I'm hopnig someone will post up some photospheres from Google Camera on the Z2..... :)

RicKaysen

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
About the LED....I'm coming from an LG G2 and I had to turn off the notification LED at night because it was so bright, it would light up my bedroom. I like the Z2s less obnoxious LED much better.

Andyvalver

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I'd say the led is ok. It does its job and looks nice when a notification comes in. The vibration for notifications on mine are not that strong. Sometimes I don't even notice them. Overall I love my z2

Sent from my D6503 using AC Forums mobile app