Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    194 Global Posts

Default Initial thoughts

I I've only had the z2 for 24 hours at this point so these are pretty preliminary. I updated my software straight away yesterday from .55 to.69 and noticed that you only get 4G icon instead of LTE that was on .55. No big deal though at first I thought I was on HSPA--I'm on att by the way. On setup the device was able to download the relevant apn for att(use internet settings right below mobile network in the settings) as I purchased the unlocked version from Taiwan. I can't comment on reception at this point as my home is in a strong area--the test will be this week in my office as it's a marginal 1-2 bar at best and the z1 I owned really struggled to hold one and would often cycle from no signal through hspa and lte. Other att devices don't have this issue, but unlocked, unbranded ones seem to.
    I have had no issues seeing the device in direct sunlight so far--I also own the m8 and s5, but I'll update once I spend more time with it.
    I like the build quality--it feels surprisingly lightweight, but very solid. I don't feel like I'm going to drop it like I do the m8 so that's a nice feeling. I have no gaps near the speakers and my device looks perfect. The device doesn't feel as fluid the m8 or s5 and there are some micro stutters switching among the home screens and such, but maybe that's the new software--not sure. I disabled the xperia live wallpaper and that seems to have helped a bit, but I'm not sure yet. The sony skin in general doesn't bother me and is way less intrusive than touchwiz--similar to sense it can mostly get out of the way. I prefer stock android, but am easily able to live with it. I'll post some photos from in a few. Very promising device that is right there with the other flagships.

All of the photos were taken in superior auto. I also added the spigen clear anti glare no fingerprint screen protector--it came with a front and back and I'm not sure I like it. I typically would use their oleophobic or crystal version or just sans protector, but I'd read this one was a fingerprint magnet so I thought I'd give it a go. It makes a ridiculous whooshing sound when you rub your finger across it--oh well.
    Last edited by cdd543; 04-27-2014 at 03:55 PM.
    Thanked by:
    tpags 

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts

Default Re: Initial thoughts

I too imported a Z2 and couldn't be happier. I'm also using mine on ATT and I get the LTE symbol.

The latest software version is the 55 build. That is the update I got right away as soon as I booted up. That is also what the Sony site is showing as latest software.

Posted via Android Central App
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    194 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tpags View Post
    I too imported a Z2 and couldn't be happier. I'm also using mine on ATT and I get the LTE symbol.

The latest software version is the 55 build. That is the update I got right away as soon as I booted up. That is also what the Sony site is showing as latest software.

I downloaded sony bridge for mac and it prompted me to download the .69 update which changed the logo from LTE to 4G.

Global Posts
    867 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 7.1 / Tiamat 3.3.7

How is the battery life on the Z2? Thanks

Sent from my Coconut Wireless Sony Xperia Z1S
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    194 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HawaiiD View Post
    How is the battery life on the Z2? Thanks

It looks like it's going to be great, but it's still too soon to tell. So far it looks a lot better than the M8 or S5--bigger battery so it should.

Global Posts
    867 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 7.1 / Tiamat 3.3.7

Is the LTE symbol really small?
    The LTE symbol on the Z1S is super small you can hardly tell its there

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts

Hmm, I'm gonna have to check this out. Was there a changelog for the update? Did your phone come with 55 installed or did you get that via ota?

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    194 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tpags View Post
    Hmm, I'm gonna have to check this out. Was there a changelog for the update? Did your phone come with 55 installed or did you get that via ota?

I received it via ota when I booted the first time.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    194 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HawaiiD View Post
    Is the LTE symbol really small?
    The LTE symbol on the Z1S is super small you can hardly tell its there
    I don't remember as it's only 4G after the latest update. Oh if your asking if it's too small to see, then that's not it. It's 4G only and mention of it in the mobile network preferences is totally gone.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    194 Global Posts

Update on signal--it seems to pull the exact same signal as the z1 I owned which in my office is lower than ATT branded phones. It seems on par with any unlocked, unbranded device not tuned by ATT(excluding n5 which was better) . Luckily I have a microcell and it jumped on that.
    Also--the knock on feature is crap and barely works for me--takes 5 or 6 taps to activate.
    Last edited by cdd543; 04-29-2014 at 08:54 PM.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    194 Global Posts

couple more

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    194 Global Posts

A comment on call quality. It's mediocre at best. Calls are somewhat static and crackly sounding. I can hear others and they can hear me, but it's not the best.

Yeah. I'd say call quality is average. It's not a massive deal though. I mean, who uses a phone to call people these days? Lol

14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    194 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andyvalver View Post
    Yeah. I'd say call quality is average. It's not a massive deal though. I mean, who uses a phone to call people these days? Lol

Yes that's true.

How is the screen time on this phone?

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dizfunctions View Post
    How is the screen time on this phone?

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
    5-6 hours heavy use. Probably another hour or two with mixed use.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdane07 View Post
    5-6 hours heavy use. Probably another hour or two with mixed use.

Awesome!

I must be the only one who actually uses my cell phone for having actual conversations. I average 2 1/2 hours per day (sometimes over 4) on my phone. If the Z2 is average at best then it will not be on the top of my list when I replace my current device.

Any other comments on voice quality? I don't want to purchase something from Asia and not be able to easily replace the device.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Global Posts
    194 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by doublestack1 View Post
    I must be the only one who actually uses my cell phone for having actual conversations. I average 2 1/2 hours per day (sometimes over 4) on my phone. If the Z2 is average at best then it will not be on the top of my list when I replace my current device.

Any other comments on voice quality? I don't want to purchase something from Asia and not be able to easily replace the device.
    I actually still use mine as well though not as much as you. I changed some of the presets under call settings so maybe that'll make some difference. I will try it tomorrow.

The battery life is amazing. I have an HTC one and it outlasted that even though I was using it heavily. - photos, videos, music and run keeper whilst running etc and my HTC one was just sitting there with light use only. . Even with heavy use it easily goes from 7am to midnight

I see mine go from 4.30am until 11th ish when I go to bed easily. Usually got around 20%25% left. That's with average usage I guess. I've had the phone since April 19th and usage varies. Sometimes 3 hours screen time and sometimes 5 hours plus. It's always made it through the day on one charge so far.