Sony Xperia Z2 vs Samsung Galaxy S5

SwiftHax

May 25, 2014
Visit site
I just sold my iPhone 4S (ugh) a couple of days ago and I'm in the market for a new phone. Apple is out of the question, so I decided to dwelve into the Android market and came out with a couple of choices: Sony's Xperia Z2 and Samsung's Galaxy S5 and so I joined the forum looking for advice from the users.

Ok, this is what I'm looking for in a phone:

Decent specs to run today's most demanding games and apps smoothly

A phone that could last 2-3 years without becoming very outdated being able to run the latest apps and games and have an up to date Android firmware.

The one devs favour in terms of optimization.

Those were pretty much all my needs. Looking back at S5, it only has 2 gigs of RAM which is kind of petty because it's the same as the two-year old S3, but is it a huge difference between Z2's 3GB? Do you notice the lack of RAM when using your S5? Also, how are the onscreen buttons of Z2? Are they comfortable to use because that is my biggest problem with Z2.

Thanks for taking your time and posting your opinions :)

thatdennis

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
Yes the Z2's onscreen buttons are beautiful and comfortable to use (you can customise it).

Well bloatware, performance, design, ergonomics and camera wise, Z2 wins.

S5 wins in the removal battery and plastic design (though looks cheap, you can easily change it).

If you take care of your phone well, buy the Z2 since it is a strong contender in specs.

If you're rough with the phone, get a S5. Changeable battery + plastic casing, make your phone look always new! Though specs wise it's a bit lacking.

Sent from my Xperia Z2

Andyvalver

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I have the z2. It's the closest thing to an iPhone out of the two phones. Mainly because of its better build quality than the s5. It's just more delicate and breakable. Samsung phones feel like toy phones to me though. I moved from the note 2 to the xperia z2.

The ui in the z2 is clean and quick and it's a pleasure to use. I had the choice of the s5 or this and I'm happy with my choice. I can't imagine you will notice the difference between 2gb or 3gb of ram to be fair though so I wouldn't factor that in. Camera is great, screen is great, it's water proof and had great noise cancelling headphones. It's win win for me. But I'm biased.

Posted via Android Central App

SwiftHax

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Yes the Z2's onscreen buttons are beautiful and comfortable to use (you can customise it).

Well bloatware, performance, design, ergonomics and camera wise, Z2 wins.

S5 wins in the removal battery and plastic design (though looks cheap, you can easily change it).

If you take care of your phone well, buy the Z2 since it is a strong contender in specs.

If you're rough with the phone, get a S5. Changeable battery + plastic casing, make your phone look always new! Though specs wise it's a bit lacking.

Sent from my Xperia Z2
I'm probably getting a case either ways. I also heard that when heating up the Z2 slows down at lower temperatures compared to S5. Also, the CPU is clocked at a lower rate than the S5 counterpart, right?

I haven't tried holding the Z2 in my hands or using it since all the stores only have Samsungs to try out which is kiind of annoying. In the videos though, it looks kind of bothering.

Andyvalver

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
The z2 is quite boxy. It's a nice phone though and it's a small price to pay for what you get. If tour coming from an iPhone then I'd get the z2 as it's similar in build ect.. But the s5 isn't a bad phone at all. They just tend to full the os with loads of crap you don't want.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I have written my views and I have come from mainly Samsung's having owned the S3,S4,Mega & still own the Note 3.

The obvious is build and IMO it's far far superior, but this is a debate for another day lol

The Camera is Fantastic and the app itself is a joy to use.

The Ui is nice and light and again a joy to use. I more often than not opt for a launcher as of yet I'm still to install one.

Noise cancelling headphones are great and provide a nice balanced sound and do a great job at eliminating background noise.

Battery life is Superb and I read alot of articles, watch videos, take photos, and listen to music and I never fear of running low. Even if I do there are battery saving features.

I use knock on alot and although borrowed (it's good to share) is a great feature as is the built in answering machine (as UK carriers charge x amount to access)

The overall performance is fantastic runs so so smooth.

Call quality is clear although perhaps not on par with my previous but far far from terrible.

The front facing speakers are great nice and clean and loud enough.

It's also waterproof and dust resistant.

I would tell you to forget about the S5 and get the Z2 but I'm also biased lol

thatdennis

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
I'm probably getting a case either ways. I also heard that when heating up the Z2 slows down at lower temperatures compared to S5. Also, the CPU is clocked at a lower rate than the S5 counterpart, right?

I haven't tried holding the Z2 in my hands or using it since all the stores only have Samsungs to try out which is kiind of annoying. In the videos though, it looks kind of bothering.
Hmm, the Z2 does heat up if you use it intensively for long periods of time (like a 15min 4k video recording). If you did that though, definitely it will slow down. However for playing a demanding game for 1 hour would probably make it a bit laggy (personal experience). It will slow down, then get fast again after a few minutes.

I don't know about the CPU, as I have no S5, but here's a link to it Samsung Galaxy S5 vs Sony Xperia Z2 - Which One Sports The More Powerful CPU?
Says the S5 wins in CPU, but isn't tested yet to show if there's any significance in the differences.

Bottom line, let me say this to you:
- Do you prefer removable or non-removable battery?
- Are you bothered by bloatware?
- Long-term wise, what do you use for your phone - are you looking for a specific or utility phone?
- Do you like Japan or Korea more? (just kidding :p)
- Will you use accessories, such as bluetooth mp3 players, smart watches or smartband?
- Do you like a classic or modern feel?
- Is camera, waterproof, dustproof a concern?
- Do you care about gimmicks, such as magnetic chargers?
- Do you have a particular color you like on a phone, say black?
- Will you root your phone? (For the UI)

Answer all these, and I can direct you to which phone.
BTW have you considered the M8?

thatdennis

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
I have written my views and I have come from mainly Samsung's having owned the S3,S4,Mega & still own the Note 3.

The obvious is build and IMO it's far far superior, but this is a debate for another day lol

The Camera is Fantastic and the app itself is a joy to use.

The Ui is nice and light and again a joy to use. I more often than not opt for a launcher as of yet I'm still to install one.

Noise cancelling headphones are great and provide a nice balanced sound and do a great job at eliminating background noise.

Battery life is Superb and I read alot of articles, watch videos, take photos, and listen to music and I never fear of running low. Even if I do there are battery saving features.

I use knock on alot and although borrowed (it's good to share) is a great feature as is the built in answering machine (as UK carriers charge x amount to access)

The overall performance is fantastic runs so so smooth.

Call quality is clear although perhaps not on par with my previous but far far from terrible.

The front facing speakers are great nice and clean and loud enough.

It's also waterproof and dust resistant.

I would tell you to forget about the S5 and get the Z2 but I'm also biased lol

This is not a biased review, to the general user most of these points are relevant. To tech-concerned people though, then it could be subjective and biased.

SwiftHax

May 25, 2014
Visit site
I don't know about the CPU, as I have no S5, but here's a link to it Samsung Galaxy S5 vs Sony Xperia Z2 - Which One Sports The More Powerful CPU?
Says the S5 wins in CPU, but isn't tested yet to show if there's any significance in the differences.

Bottom line, let me say this to you:
- Do you prefer removable or non-removable battery? I couldn't care less. Does it have any perks?
- Are you bothered by bloatware? Yup, they're not a big downer, but still.
- Long-term wise, what do you use for your phone - are you looking for a specific or utility phone? Calls, texting, internet, youtube and some games. Nothing overly specific.
- Do you like Japan or Korea more? (just kidding :p) Lol, can't say. Both are great.
- Will you use accessories, such as bluetooth mp3 players, smart watches or smartband? I don't think so
- Do you like a classic or modern feel? I'm more towards modern
- Is camera, waterproof, dustproof a concern? Not a big one, but sure a nice thing to have
- Do you care about gimmicks, such as magnetic chargers? Not too much
- Do you have a particular color you like on a phone, say black? Not really, I usually go by the colour that suits the phone best which is often white
- Will you root your phone? (For the UI) I don't think so, it voids the warranty and is not a must have for my casual needs.

Answer all these, and I can direct you to which phone.
BTW have you considered the M8?
Answers in the quote. I didn't really think about M8 a lot because the only appealing things about it are the speakers and the design. Everything else I prefer in these 2.

thatdennis

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
Ok so you don't care about the battery removablility, bothered by bloatware and like the camera, waterproof and dustproof. You also won't root. So Z2 it is. Why?

The S5 has a lot of bloatware and the UI is a bit complex. Without root you can't edit this. Also camera, waterproof and dustproof the S5 loses out. You also don't care about battery removablility (which is a must for some).

Basically the tradeoff is you're sacrificing 0.2 worth of CPU (S5) for a more premium feel, a better camera, better RAM, better waterproof and dustproof, and a longer battery. With less bloatware and a simple UI for your casual needs (Z2).
Sent from my Xperia Z2

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I have both and I still can't make up my mind.

Magnetic Chargers is not a gimmick. It's convenience, although I bought it you don't have to spend $40+ for wireless charging. I spent $10 for Sony's magnetic USB cable.

Let's not forget how fragile Samsung's USB cover is.

Sony's UI may be lighter but Samsung has this Slide to Call/Text I love. On top of my head I can't think of one feature I like from Sony.

The only feature missing on the Z2 is an IR Blaster but Sony also has dual front speakers.

All this evens out. Which is why I think it boils down to how important is build quality to you.

Pro S5

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
The S5 has a few good features and has improved upon the S4 and quite well if you look past aesthetics. The water resistance, processor, and things like the camera and download booster are great. Of course it retains the removable back cover and battery which to some is a must as has been mentioned.

The Z2 is in my own opinion the more focused device and because of this, what it does it does it well.

The end decision is obviously yours and you won't feel bad for either or you might if you buy the S5 over the Z2 lol

Seriously though the S5 is good but the Z2 is gggggreat :)

SwiftHax

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Ok so you don't care about the battery removablility, bothered by bloatware and like the camera, waterproof and dustproof. You also won't root. So Z2 it is. Why?

The S5 has a lot of bloatware and the UI is a bit complex. Without root you can't edit this. Also camera, waterproof and dustproof the S5 loses out. You also don't care about battery removablility (which is a must for some).

Basically the tradeoff is you're sacrificing 0.2 worth of CPU (S5) for a more premium feel, a better camera, better RAM, better waterproof and dustproof, and a longer battery. With less bloatware and a simple UI for your casual needs (Z2).
Sent from my Xperia Z2
You made lots of good points there, but I still feel like I should try the Z2 in my hands and mess around a bit before deciding.

thatdennis

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
You made lots of good points there, but I still feel like I should try the Z2 in my hands and mess around a bit before deciding.
Yes, you should. Try the feel first, then decide. Sadly in my case you can't have the phones tried due to limitations of the providers. But by all means please feel it first, you must like it first before buying it first, right?

sdc1

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I looked at the S5 but it felt very cheap and plastic. The feel off the dimpled back is horrible. The build quality of the Z2 is incomparably better.

SwiftHax

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Yes, you should. Try the feel first, then decide. Sadly in my case you can't have the phones tried due to limitations of the providers. But by all means please feel it first, you must like it first before buying it first, right?
Wow, unlucky for you. Yesterday I've been to a couple of stores looking at some phones, but haven't found a Z2 to try out yet. However I'm quite certain I'll find one.

I don't really mind the build quality though, I kind of prefer the cheap plasitc of the S5 because I'm not the kind of guy who babies his phone that much, so I just buy a case or something, so all that beauty of Z2 will probably hide under a case if I get one.

thatdennis

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
Wow, unlucky for you. Yesterday I've been to a couple of stores looking at some phones, but haven't found a Z2 to try out yet. However I'm quite certain I'll find one.

I don't really mind the build quality though, I kind of prefer the cheap plasitc of the S5 because I'm not the kind of guy who babies his phone that much, so I just buy a case or something, so all that beauty of Z2 will probably hide under a case if I get one.

Mine too, I hide it in a case and a screen protector, just for safety. Just when I open my case sometimes for a picture, I always am mesmerised by the glass slab on the back.

Hmm if you live in the US then I'm sorry to say it's coming soon but not yet

Sent from my Xperia Z2

SwiftHax

May 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm seriously torn between the two phones. The Z2 is a nice piece of both: hardware and software, but let's face it - it's far less popular than S5 and M8, so doesn't it mean that future apps (in 2-3 years) will perform far worse on Z2 compared to S5 and M8 due to poor optimization? Looking at Samsung, even the 3 year old Galaxy S2 can run most today's apps and games at an acceptable FPS and speed.

Also, how are those Sony noise cancelling earplugs that come with the phone?

I'm from Europe (Lithuania) and the Z2s are being sold here. I just couldn't find a store that had a test one to hold and mess around.

thatdennis

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
I'm seriously torn between the two phones. The Z2 is a nice piece of both: hardware and software, but let's face it - it's far less popular than S5 and M8, so doesn't it mean that future apps (in 2-3 years) will perform far worse on Z2 compared to S5 and M8 due to poor optimization? Looking at Samsung, even the 3 year old Galaxy S2 can run most today's apps and games at an acceptable FPS and speed.

Also, how are those Sony noise cancelling earplugs that come with the phone?

I'm from Europe (Lithuania) and the Z2s are being sold here. I just couldn't find a store that had a test one to hold and mess around.

Well if the S5 and M8 could perform apps well after 2-3 years, I see no reason why the Z2 can't. I mean they all use a quallcomm snapdragon 8. Something. Their ram is similar too, basically the specs are mostly similar between the 3 phones.

The noise cancelling earphones I haven't tried due to no need of it (I use bluetooth earphones), but based on other's review it blocks all ambient noise. Ask Duncan for clarification, since he uses it

Sent from my Xperia Z2