Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Does Unlocked Work on Verizon?

I am not familiar at all with how an unlocked phone works. On Amazon I see there is a "FACTORY UNLOCKED International Verison" for the Z2. If I live in the US and have Verizon would this phone allow me to connect to the Verizon Network?

My contract expires in August and I'm trying to weigh all options for my next phone. The obvious disadvantage to buying an unlocked phone, even if it does on my carrier's network, is the non-discount price. And I'm not sure what superior phones will be released in the next few months.

Global Posts
    7,228 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Default Re: Does Unlocked Work on Verizon?

Typically not. It is possible to have network ineteroperability on a device and have it still not work, although most "unlocked" devices lack hardware and/or software necessary to work on Verizon's voice network. For a device to work on Verizon's network it must be white-listed (model and device). It can be slightly more nuanced than that, but if you're not going to be doing a lot of modifications to your device, including convincing it that it is a different device, it'd be better to buy a Z2 from Verizon, assuming they carry it. In that case, it would work on Verizon and you'd be able to get voice and at least 3G/HSPA on most other networks (LTE is uncertain, depends on supported bands).