Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Your feedback on overheating

Hi,
    Im considering this phone, but the reports from overheating and crashes of the camera app when using it because of that overheating are making me a bit unsure about it.
    From what i have heard this seems to be a bit more of a problem using 4k, but im wondering if it has issues with general use or regular camera use and if those heating issues, even in 4k, have been truly improved. I read about an update, but i don't know if it solved a lot or not.

Thank you.

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts

Default Re: Your feedback on overheating

Personally, I've not experienced these issues. Please take in to account that ordinarily you'll only see posts/reviews about the negatives from a small percentage of people that have had a bad run. On the whole, I'd say a majority of people are more than happy and have had no real issues....it's just that we don't always post about that.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thank you for feedback!

People should post more about the good things, because people that are searching like me find the bad things quicker and in bigger number unfortunately :/ About the overheating, Sony has aparently aknloaged it in the 4k but said that users shouldn't record in 4k more than a few minutes, which is not a solution for this issue. From what i have read, phones produced from week20 and up are not giving as much problems as other, but i have read some horror stories still related to overheating like the phone heating so much that the back glass cracked =/ So, that's not good. It doesn't seem to be a very common issue, but it has happened to a couple of users.

Im actually undecided between this (z2) and the m8, and the z2 wins in camera department,extra ram and battery life, but the stuff i have been reading have been making me a bit unsure about it, which is a shame because it seems to be a good phone and Sony should have sorted some of this stuff out before putting it on the market.

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts

I really favour the Z2 over the M8. I prefer Sony overlay as u fine it less obtrusive. I've used both and still feel that the Z2 is a clear winner, especially with it being waterproof.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

The Sony does seem to outspec the M8, and specs is pretty much what i can go for as far as making a decision. I did try both of them and felt that the m8 fit a little better in my hands, but thats because it's a bit smaller but the side buttons on the z2 are much more well thought for ergnomics. I still can stretch my finger for the screen horizontaly on the z2( vertically/top of the screen requires more hand gymanstics on both), just not as easily as the m8.

The biggest fear i have with it is the overheating. Does it still overheat even at 1080p or just really in 4k? I have been told and read a bit on it that other phones, like the s5, don't overheat as much but also have a time limit on 4k recording to prevent that, so 4k still ends up being limited.

Other thing a bit unreleated to the overheating but how are you finding the volume for the notifications to be? Some people seem to complain about that and that is too low but the speakers i tested out on the store seemed to get lound enough so im a bit confused about that.

Take a look at my z2 and Vegas post, only time the camera ever overheated on me was there when it was over 110 degrees out. Also I highly doubt this phone will Crack from the heat, again read the Vegas post, dropped this thing in ice water multiple times to cool it down and it's 100% good to go, no cracks

Sent from my D6503 using AC Forums mobile app
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I checked out your post and the photo taken with the z2 looks nice. Glad to hear you didn't had much problems, even though it overheated but those temperatures don't help any phone.
    Im curious about the overheating you experienced, was it during normal use of the camera and phone to take picture or even make a hd video or was during a 4k recording?

I don't think i would be to brave to put the phone on water even though its water resistant lol but maybe a little dip in not ice cold water wouldn't hurt lol Although i read some of the z2 have problems with gaps and that affects the water resistance, but i think does were just for the early batches

It was the regular camera. I think all of my friends cameras were pretty hot too but Sony has that warning at a lower temperature point than other manufacturers. I did do some 4k later when it was around 95 degrees out, got about 1.5 minutes out of it before the warning came up. I rarely ever use 4k though

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I guess considering it was a hot day, it can have a pass for that situation!
    Do you have any heating problems doing regular use of the phone (apps/navigation/internet/video/music/etc)?

None what so ever. On a regular day I stream video for 3+ hours (charging or off of battery). I used GPS and Pandora while charging the phone on my Vegas road trip for 9 hours with no issues as well.

Here's my feelings.... Bought the phone 3 weeks ago and to be honest only purchased it because of the camera. The camera is the jewel in the crown with regards to this model. My phone is week 14 build. Now to the bad news. The camera gets hot and does shut down at the most infuriating times. Yesterday spent the day at the zoo. Granted it was a very hot day. Shut down twice. However, this was under heavy usage, camera (manual mode) video (1080p/4k) plus faffing with various apps within the camera.

Here is what i dont understand... 14mins of 4k recording everything okay.... seemed to shut down when i least expected it!!

Still a very capable phone though...