Sony Xperia Z2 Camera Overheating Issue!

ILUMINATIUNDEAD

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
When I start to play with the other features of the camera such as AR, video, or anything besides the normal camera setting, it says it's overheating and shuts down!!! I just got this phone. Is this a common problem? How can I fix it and not get the problem again??

malt1977

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
There are many factors such as ambient air temp etc which need to be taken in to account also. Shooting footage in 4K will heat the phone up in a few minutes. Search the threads, this has been gone over a few times already, I'm sure you'll fine what you want to know.

ILUMINATIUNDEAD

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
I didn't even use video. I just used the normal camera settings on there, so far I haven't found a fix on this forum so that's why I'm asking!!

malt1977

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Ok, it's just a little confusing that in your first post you say you'd used video, now you're saying that you don't?. We can only try to help if we're given the correct info. Have you contacted your local sony centre?

Alex Man

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Yes it's a common problem. Using the camera even without video takes a lot out of the camera for some reason. You will not want to use it to take a lot of consecutive pics. The phone will overheat and subsequently shut down, and really drains the battery. It's just the way Sony made it.

Sent from my D6503 using AC Forums mobile app

darthhen

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
I finally made it to my local Sony store to try the Z2. I too noticed how the area near the camera heated up quickly. I was surprised that it heated up quicker than my Lumia 1020.

Side note.... I took some shots with Z2 and my Lumia 1020 at the store. Both phones set to auto, the color balance on the Z2 was confused. Came out a bit yellow on the shots. I had to set the WB manually to get the proper image.

Noah Evans

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I live in Alabama and it is currently august. The outdoor temperature is over 100 degrees (F) and my Z2 overheats pretty quick when outside. What conditions have you been using your phone in? I have yet to have any overheating issues indoors where the temperature is around 75 degrees.
My thoughts on the Z2 overheating issue is as follow:
1) this is a high MP camera with a large sensor. This creates a large amount of data to work through.
2) Sony does some pretty serious post processing on it's photos and video. This will obviously increase power usage and heat.
3) the viewfinder is quite responsive. One of the best and clearest I have seen on an android phone. This probably adds some additional processing strain.
4) I think the processor is located near the camera in the body of the phone. The repercussions of this design decision are pretty obvious.
5) the glass construction may not do a very good job of transferring the heat away from the body of the phone.
6) I would bet that Sony has picked a lower threshold for temperature tolerance than most other phone manufacturers. This may be because the sensor/other camera components are more susceptible to heat than other phones or Sony may simply be more careful than other manufacturers.

All of these factors combined seem to have created a pretty serious camera heat issue with the Z2. It makes sense that is would be much worse when the starting temperature is 25 degrees higher but it is disappointing nevertheless.

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
It's pretty poor, I agree. Mine kept overheating when I was taking photos (not videos) with filters applied! And this was under 30 degrees. Poor show, Sony.

To be honest, I am beginning to realise that the quality that Sony was famous for back in the seventies and eighties is now missing, and they seem happy to sell poorly tested hardware, riddled with irritating bugs. Not good enough!

Posted via Android Central App

anon(21022)

May 8, 2010
Visit site
To be honest, I am beginning to realise that the quality that Sony was famous for back in the seventies and eighties is now missing, and they seem happy to sell poorly tested hardware, riddled with irritating bugs. Not good enough!

You'll find this true of any manufacturer of consumer electronics these days, some of course worse than other on "quality control" (that's where it varies more than quality itself, IMO). I blame the drive towards ever-cheaper electronics and faster turnover rate (upgrading every X months instead of every Y years, means less quality control, cheaper components, less thinking about long-term durability or usability, and so on).

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
That's true, but Apple, for instance, seen to have excellent quackery control and thorough testing, and Sony have been, for me at least, the worst with the phones I have owned.

anon(21022)

May 8, 2010
Visit site
That's true, but Apple, for instance, seen to have excellent quackery control and thorough testing, and Sony have been, for me at least, the worst with the phones I have owned.

Things slip by Apple, too, but yes quality control is higher there. Why I also mentioned both quality and quality control in my reply ;)

Also, some people hit by lemons will bash Apple's poor quality and quality control, while I have barely had any problem with my Apple products over the years. It's quite hard to judge from anecdotes I suppose.

As for the worst with the phones, for me it has been Sharp and Fujitsu at the lowest, HTC at the top (haven't owned an Apple phone so far), Sony somewhere in the middle.

gloreth

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
I just bought this z2. And same thing, my fon is experiencing overheating problem when cam is used. Im from philippines where temp is hot. Please tell me there is already a solution for this.

knlkhtr

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
I came up with solution for overheating camera issue in Xperia phones.
Remove back panel of yiur phone
You will find metallic strip around camera sensor
You have to adjust this metaklic strip in such a way that it should ve in touch wid camera sensor from all sides(if all sides is not possible then get that metal strip as near as possible to camera)
That metal acts as heatsink for camera.
Sometimes it is not in touch with sensor.
Other option you can do us downloaf any other camera app from playstore
But it cant give high quality image capturing
However it wont show any temperature warning ;)
PLEASE Hit Like button if you find my solution is working for you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC