My Z3C Has Arrived - First Impressions (share yours as well)

ktcred

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
My Z3 Compact just arrived from Handtec (man, that was fast). I'll share more, but here are my initial impressions:

* A tad heavier that I expected, but no complaints. Has a quality feel
* I love the size. I'm using an S4 right now and the Z3C is considerably smaller
* Feels great in the hand, but I have to get used to its smaller size
* As many have noted, the volume buttons are in an awkward spot (middle and under power button )
* The glass front and back are awesome and give it a great look (a case will ruin that, however)
* It is as appealing as I hoped

Now I need to turn it on....

Posted via Android Central App

Attachments

• 20140926_112321.jpg
    20140926_112321.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 691

FSRBIKER

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm very interested in this phone, having a 2013 Moto X I had hoped the new X would have a much better camera and battery life and keep the size small...none of that really came true with the 2014 X.

So the Z3c looks on paper and some reviews as THE replacement for the Moto X.

Let us know how the camera is, speed and taking pics, quality, etc.
What carrier are you using it on, can you run a speed test vs your S4 and post the results.
Does it charge faster with a different charger, either 1.5 or 2 amp?
How is the screen for reading, have you adjusted the colors with the built in controls, how is it in sunlight?
Have you used the built in Theme Changer?

ktcred

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm very interested in this phone, having a 2013 Moto X I had hoped the new X would have a much better camera and battery life and keep the size small...none of that really came true with the 2014 X.

So the Z3c looks on paper and some reviews as THE replacement for the Moto X.

Let us know how the camera is, speed and taking pics, quality, etc.
What carrier are you using it on, can you run a speed test vs your S4 and post the results.
Does it charge faster with a different charger, either 1.5 or 2 amp?
How is the screen for reading, have you adjusted the colors with the built in controls, how is it in sunlight?
Have you used the built in Theme Changer?

I was interested in the Moto X (2014) as well, but the size and battery life turned me off. I'll need to configure my Z3c and report back with additional thoughts. I am using AT&T as a provider, but the phone is only on WiFi at the moment.

DJCBS

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Clove only dispatched mine today (argh!) so I should only get it by the end of next week (since I'm counting on the slowness of Royal Mail when matched with the incompetent of the Portuguese post offices).

I'll share my opinions on it as I have it though I'm sure size won't be a problem. I'm actually eager to get rid of the 5" phone I have not. Kind of sick of not being able to use the phone with just one hand (and I have fairly big hands).

I never got the logic on the volume buttons though. I guess it was really a hardware necessity, not a design choice. 'cause if it was a design choice, someone at Sony should be fired =P

FSRBIKER

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Ktcred and NYC_rock please run a Speed Test, I'm interested since I'm on At&t as well. Did you tell them you switched phones or just switch the SIM from your old phone?

FSRBIKER

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I would test for LTE before leaving the store, some users on At&t over on XDA are not showing an LTE signal. Could be a simple change to the APN that gets set automatically when you pop in your SIM.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

ktcred

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
Ktcred and NYC_rock please run a Speed Test, I'm interested since I'm on At&t as well. Did you tell them you switched phones or just switch the SIM from your old phone?

I'm on my way to AT&T to get my Sim now. I usually walk in, grab it and leave. I never mention I am switching a phone, etc.. I usually know more about their products than the store associates.

Posted via the Android Central App

ktcred

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
Clove only dispatched mine today (argh!) so I should only get it by the end of next week (since I'm counting on the slowness of Royal Mail when matched with the incompetent of the Portuguese post offices).

I'll share my opinions on it as I have it though I'm sure size won't be a problem. I'm actually eager to get rid of the 5" phone I have not. Kind of sick of not being able to use the phone with just one hand (and I have fairly big hands).

I never got the logic on the volume buttons though. I guess it was really a hardware necessity, not a design choice. 'cause if it was a design choice, someone at Sony should be fired =P

I didn't think there would be much of a difference between 4.6 and 5, but it is definitely noticeable. My S4 screen seems huge now. I'm not stating a preference, but rather an oberservation.
Will share as I use it more.

Considering I've been slammed at work today, I haven't had time to mess with it much. I have plans tonight and then the Georgia game tomorrow (will be using my new 20.7 camera), so time is going to be tight.

I will say, this is a good looking phone and some coworkers have commented the same.

Last edited:

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I would test for LTE before leaving the store, some users on At&t over on XDA are not showing an LTE signal. Could be a simple change to the APN that gets set automatically when you pop in your SIM.

Yeah I've never done this before so thanks for the heads up.

ktcred

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I've never done this before so thanks for the heads up.

I took your advice and guess what...LTE didn't (and still doesn't) work. I tried serval APN configurations and no luck. The device has an option to download the settings automatically if you have an internet connection (i.e., Wi-Fi). The settings download, but I still can't connect via LTE. I can only get the H+ Cingular APN settings to function. I'm pretty bitter right now, but have ran out of time to research. I need to jump over to XDA and see if a solution has been found.

@bnfj, have you heard of any luck?

DJCBS

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I didn't think there would be much of a difference between 4.6 and 5, but it is definitely noticeable. My S4 screen seems huge now. I'm not stating a preference, but rather an oberservation.
Will share as I use it more.

Yeah it shouldn't be that much of a difference but then you remember the bezels. I'm currently on a Nokia L930 which has 5" from a L920 with 4.5". The phone is just a hair taller, but the extra screen becomes noticeable when one tries to do something as simple as pushing the notifications tray.

Which reminds me...with the ever increasing size of the phones, perhaps it's time the Notification trays on Android and WP get out of the top of the phone and placed, perhaps on the left screen. I wonder how long will it take for Google and Microsoft to realize that the top of the phone is no longer the best place to put something people access a lot.

FSRBIKER

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Are you using the phone number that you had your S4 on? The line needs to be provisioned(have a IMEI #) of a LTE phone AND a LTE SIM card. Now all their SIM cards are probably LTE now but I had to have them make a IMEI change when I switched from my N4 to the Moto X to get LTE to work. This was mentioned on XDA also today.