Considering getting a Z3 compact, but...

bworm

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
I'm looking for a new phone and really like what I've read about the Z3C. I have small hands and there just aren't a lot of smaller phones out that appeal to me. However, I'm hesitating because I've also seen a lot of reports of the phone being pretty fragile both on the front screen and the back and I'm a very clumsy person. I'm always dropping things or tripping. Just how fragile is it? If I get a good screen protector and case would that suffice, or do you think this isn't a phone you wouldn't recommend to a clumsy person?

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Glass screen protector and a back cover and you'll be fine. I gave my 12 and 13yo sons Z3c's and they have this setup. The backs they have are just thin hardshell cases. They have not broken their phones. They HAVE cracked the tempered glass screen protectors so I always recommend that. Or get front and back glass protectors. The fragility on these phones are overstated imo.

Posted via the Android Central App

ORA1

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
You can drop any phone, and if hit at the right place they will break or crack.
Like a glass, if you drop it, you know what will happen.
I just insure my phone and take precautions, but no get paranoid about it

ORA1

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
Ok, still waiting, the service provider phoned me and said they procured one from another branch mysteriously, but i must wait for the call. "Today"

ORA1

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
Got it in white.
came with approx 50 % power, they recon i must let the power go completely down before the full charge. They said i musnt overcharge, but how do you know this, must you keep on looking.
Fitted new nano sim, must wait a few hours for it to be activated. Then bombs away

Spirk

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I agree to let it drain before giving it a full charge. I don't think you have to worry much about overcharging it though. If you are worried then yes, you would have to keep checking. I plug mine in at night if it's below 40% and leave it charging while I'm sleeping. I wake up to 100% charge and it normally lasts 2.5-3 days of normal use. I've been doing this since I got it in October and I haven't noticed a drop in battery capacity.

Nexus to Xperia

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I should have read the manual (or forums) before my first charge... I didn't let it drain - but maybe should have?... Also, I charge it every night while sleeping, regardless of battery life... do you think that's a bad idea?

I'm not challenging your use, just wondering if I should let the battery drain more instead of charging every night. I haven't had any battery issues - but it doesn't seem to have the longevity that I keep reading about... however, I haven't gone below 50% either... since the battery isn't replaceable, I don't want my method of use to prematurely wear it out.

ORA1

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
There are lots of different opinions on the subject. But if you go the the Sony z3 compact user guide, it says nothing about draining the battery out before charging. It says basically when the battery is low yo must charge, and you can use the phone when charging,
We have had this argument before about battery life and charging. But if you are going away , must you wait for a couple of days for the battery to go down before you charge. I dont think so.
I do know that some batteries you can charge up anytime and makes no difference to the battery itself.
I was also told , not to overcharge. How do you know when you are over charging. I say any device at this level should have its own automatic cut out system when charged.

anon(5002059)

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Sturdy phone. I use tempered glass protectors and a simple tpu case. I bought a case that covers the flaps to access charging, memory and Sim but leaves the magnetic charging port exposed. I bought a Magtron adapter that goes on the end of your mini USB cable so I can charge the phone without disturbing the oring seals on the flaps.
Works well.
I have never had an issue with the battery life. I plugged it in when I got it and charged it before I used it. I am amazed at the battery life. I have never followed a ritual besides plugging the phone in at night. Though on this phone I have been able to make it through a second day.

Posted via the Android Central App on my Xperia Z3 Compact or Blackberry Z10

lindseybp

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I have dropped mine from chest high level and it did not get damaged. I had a glass screen protector and a krussell leather wallet case on it.

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
My phone was in a ringke TPU case with a glass screen protector when it fell off a chair onto a linoleum floor. No visible damage but the touch screen stopped working on the top half. Sony took care of it under warranty but I was without it for three weeks. I have solid concerns with this phones durability.

ryaninc

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
My wife and I have both cracked our Z3cs. Mine slid off the couch into the floor: screen had one crack, and it stopped responding to touch. Hers was IN A CASE and fell less than 2 feet onto CARPET: shattered, stopped responding to touch.

Yes, any phone can break. But I really believe that this phone is more fragile than others. Plus the fact that even one crack renders the touchscreen useless. If it kept working, just cracked (like all the cracked iPhone you see around) that'd be one thing. But it becomes totally useless with one crack.

I've started using the wrist strap on my replacement Z3c. And a thicker case. Be careful out there.

tkt2786

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I am extremely clumsy. (I once went with a friend to look at engagement rings for his fiancee, and I accidentally flung the diamond we were looking at across the jeweler's store.) I have had Otterbox cases on my previous 2 devices and they were perfect for me - I accidentally spilled half of a large water bottle on one device (totally fine after taking the case off and letting the device sit in rice overnight to absorb any excess water) and dropped the other device all the time.

One of my biggest concerns with the Z3C was that Otterbox doesn't make a case for it. I eventually got a tempered glass screen protector (PThink) for the front and settled on an Incipio case.

I have now owned the Z3C for a little under 3 months, have dropped it frequently, had no issues..until last night. I dropped it less than a foot off the ground onto a wood floor, which is less than I've dropped it before. It must have hit just wrong, because now there are two large cracks running across the screen or screen protector. The screen protector's surface is smooth.

I also have small hands, and there really isn't much choice out there. So at minimum, if you get this phone, you must get a screen protector for the front. I never used them before, because the Otterboxes come with their own cover, but they are vital for this phone. I've ordered a new one and will wait to peel off my current protector to see what the damage is until it arrives...because if it's somehow fine underneath, I WILL end up dropping it again!

tkt2786

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Maxburn - How did Sony take care of your issue under warranty - did you have the protection plan? Sony just told me that impacts aren't covered. :(

ibbyj

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Mine hit a nightclub dancefloor pretty hard last night, 100% unprotected. Bounced....

Not one mark. I was terrified. Haha

Posted via the Android Central App

ryaaaaaaaaan

May 23, 2011
Visit site
My mother has a Z3C and when leaning down to load the washer it fell out of her pocket. It fell at a very short height. It had a hairline crack in the screen, but also the touch stopped working, the phone was also in a leather cover case.

This may have been one of them times, it would only happen 1 in 1000 chances!

ORA1

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
I am sure if you drop most smart phones, depending how they hit the target, the screen will crack. Seen it with Iphones and Galaxys many times ,

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance