Z3 Compact - is it really that fragile?

sdc1

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
These are great value now but the stories about fragility are really putting me off.

How are you finding it? Is the screen prone to cracking?

Posted via the Android Central App

BenL

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I've had my Z3C since November. So far, no problems. Having a TPU (gel) case has probably helped for the few times I've dropped it.

mlbrowninsc

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I have had mine since March and am using it with no case and no screen protector. I keep it in my front pocket by itself but have had no issues. Have dropped it a couple times but it has held up well. It is a slick phone. I have been really impressed with it. Plan k. Getting the z5 compact when it comes out.

ORA1

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
Also had mine since March, use a wallet type case, dropped it a couple of times, but not from far. no problems at all.
I think that Sony might have changed its manufactures of certain parts that were troublesome.

jhazey

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
I got one of the first batch and the (very slippery) phone dropped out of my pocket when I sat down and the screen cracked from a 2 foot fall onto concrete. I had it repaired by Sony and since then it hasn't left its TPU case. It hasn't cracked since then, but I have had to send it back for a non-functioning headphone jack which is a known issue with this phone.

Also, the speakerphone has terrible feedback for people on the other end of the call. It feels like it is always something!

samd102

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes, it seems a major problem. My 2 month old Z3 Compact developed a hairline crack at the bottom of the screen rendering the whole phone useless. I'm furious & gutted as I really do love this phone. It's just fragile and needs real protection. Mine is under warranty and I'm hoping that it will be fixed free of charge as, despite what they say, IT IS a well known and common issue. There's even a Facebook page set up with 3,000 members already!! And other news stating:

"On smartphone forum XDA-Developers more than thousand Sony Xperia Z3 users report cracks in the front and back of their phone. It’s not the first time Sony has issues with the screen of Xperia phones, also the Xperia Z suffered from similar problem.

About 25% of the Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact owners that filled in a survey started by an XDA user have issues with broken glass. Some suffer from just a single crack horizontally, vertically or diagonally but 12% of the complainers report to have multiple cracks and even ‘spiderweb’ resembling cracks.

A user has also started a Facebook page for users with cracked screens, a post asking for users to report cracks in the screen of their Z3 resulted in a long list of comments with pictures of damaged phones.

Also on the Sony Forums dozens of people complain about the glass cracking for no apparent reason. Unfortunately for many users it’s hard to proof the glass hasn’t cracked by falling. Continuing to use the phone is for most users not an option as the touch screen becomes unresponsive even with small cracks."

Such a shame as everything else in this compact little phone is awesome in my opinion. Quick, responsive, great screen resolution, awesome camera, waterproof (untested yet!) and guess what? Nice and compact. Just fragile glass screen issues.

I would advise a tough glass tempered screen protector and then a durable, hard, shock absorbing case that allows for magnetic docking charge and properly protects all of it's somewhat delicate framework. Still haven't found a 5 out of 5 one yet.....

If Sony don't treat me with a decent level of customer service I will be forced to make a complaint and let this well known issue even more 'well known' for users choosing whether a Xperia Z3 / Z5 / Compact is right for them.

ORA1

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
I am one of the lucky ones i think, had the phone for 8 months, dropped a couple of times loaded all the latest updates and no problems at all.
You can drop any phone and if it connects in the right place it will cause damage or crack.
But i have worked Sony out here. Not all the parts of the phone is made by the same manufacturer. I think Sony has different company's making the same parts for the phone, and some company's are taking short cuts and short changing Sony. This is just my opinion, Reason..why do some people have problems where others have none......

stuness

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
Mine has just suffered from bending, after 9 months of ownership, which resulted in a corner of the back cover coming away from the frame. No cracking of glass. However, it survived a pocket drop onto a tiled kitchen floor unscathed, about 6 months ago.

I keep it in my front jeans pocket, was aware there was some pressure on it but wasn't aware of potential bending issues. Never used a case or cover of any sort. Willing to risk a drop (I'm usually careful in handling phones) but now I'm very disappointed that it can't survive the jeans pocket, unlike my old, cheapo Huawei G300. Especially as Sony want £115 to repair it.

It's a great phone in terms of speed and battery life and, like many, I chose it for the smaller size for pocketability, ironically enough!

I suppose I'll have to treat it with kid gloves from now on but won't be buying any more expensive, slim phones with metal frames.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a tough case that might prevent the bending problem without making the phone much more bulky?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol