Anyone tried playing hi-res audio with either the compact or the full-size Z3?

smileman

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Frustratingly, none of the reviewers are touching on this capability.

Would also be curious to hear which DAC people would recommend using with the Z3. Right now I'm eyeing the Meridian Explorer USB DAC which just saw a big price cut in the U.S.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm waiting to get my hands on TMo's Z3, so, I'll be waiting for a bit longer to try the USB / DAC functionality. The result is I can't directly answer your question. However I am curious like you.

If you want to educate yourself on DAC's and all things around portable audio, this is a good place to go, a very active community. Hope this helps.

Equipment Forums

smileman

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the forum link, will check that out.

I'm a little confused about what exactly is required to play hi-res audio on Z3. It sounds like some type of hardware has been added from the Z2 to the Z3 to enable hi-res, but I also keep reading about how you still need an external USB DAC?

Also, what exactly is meant by 'hi-res compatible' headphones? Are these also required to hear hi-res audio files on the Z3, or is the term 'hi-res compatible' headphone simply code for a really high quality set of headphones.

I understand that Z3 requires special compatible headphones to take advantage of the Z3's noise canceling technology, but I am only trying to find out more info about the hi-res music capability and what is required to enable this.

Thanks.

Last edited:

aculyizfrozen

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
I have a FiiO e17 portable amp for smartphones. I use the USB connection, and let me tell you, this thing really works. It was **** on my galaxy s4 lol. The hi res and USP options do make a difference. I use sol republic on the ear headphones, and munitio billets earphones. Both listening experiences have been improved!

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the forum link, will check that out.

I'm a little confused about what exactly is required to play hi-res audio on Z3. It sounds like some type of hardware has been added from the Z2 to the Z3 to enable hi-res, but I also keep reading about how you still need an external USB DAC?

Also, what exactly is meant by 'hi-res compatible' headphones? Are these also required to hear hi-res audio files on the Z3, or is the term 'hi-res compatible' headphone simply code for a really high quality set of headphones.

I understand that Z3 requires special compatible headphones to take advantage of the Z3's noise canceling technology, but I am only trying to find about the hi-res music capability and what is required to enable this.

Thanks.

A little of apples and oranges going on here. First, you can play hi-res music files without an external DAC or special headphones. Every smartphone has a DAC and amp built-in otherwise you would not be able to listen to your digital music collection. Not all phones are capable of playing h-res files.The Z3 is capable of playing FLAC files which are hi-res. More on file types coming.

Due to power, space and weight limitations in a smartphone, the internal DAC's (Digital to Analog Converter) and amps may not be be the "best" in terms of sound quality which is why people who are really into music may elect to use an external DAC and amp. A quality external DAC and amp are one piece of the signal chain if you are trying to get a better music listening experience from your smartphone.

People may also elect to use an external power amp to get more volume from their smartphone output. This is more important if you are using high quality headphones with higher resistance (bigger Ohm numbers) These types of headphones generally require more power to produce an acceptable amount of volume. Using high quality headphones is another piece of the signal chain. A quality DAC / amp will not produce the results you are hoping for if you are using lower quality headphones. This brings us to the third piece of the signal chain, the source file.

The most common form of digital music file is MP3. The problem with MP3 is you "loose" some of the music fidelity during the encoding process. The advantage is MP3 files are smaller so you can store more of them on your phone (more music). There are other types of digital music files (for example FLAC) which are "loseless"......you don't loose as much fidelity (sound quality). However, FLAC files are much larger than MP3 files since they store more "music information." FLAC (and there are others) files are often referred to as hi-res files. BTW, your Z3 will be able to play FLAC files "out of the box."

I have a FiiO e17 portable amp for smartphones. I use the USB connection, and let me tell you, this thing really works. It was **** on my galaxy s4 lol. The hi res and USP options do make a difference. I use sol republic on the ear headphones, and munitio billets earphones. Both listening experiences have been improved!

The FiiO e17 is a good choice for a DAC / amp combination. Reasonably priced and good performance. Many people who are entering the high quality / hi-res smartphone arena use this piece of equipment and are happy. There are others from other manufacturers and they can run from $100.00's USD in to the $1000.00's USD. I think you should also be aware that there are external amps that do not have a DAC. For example, I use a FiiO E11, which is just an amp. This helps when I'm using a device that may have a weaker power amp.

Also, as mentioned above, you DO NOT have to use Sony headphones to get a hi-res experience. With the Z3, Sony does provide a set of settings especially designed for their headphones. Not sure what they do yet, but, use whatever type of headphones you enjoy. As I suspect you know, a good sounding headphone is a personal experience and you should use headphones (or in-ears, or whatever} that sound good to you.

I've rambled enough. I hope this helps. Good luck in your search! It's a fun adventure and be warned.......if you really get into hi-res / high quality sound, it can become a very expensive adventure! :D

smileman

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the detailed thoughts. A couple follow-up questions:

1. Since my Nexus 5 already can play 24-bit/192khz what from a hardware and software standpoint is the Z3 offering beyond DSEE HX? DSEE HX seems to have gotten a pretty lukewarem reception but most reviewere don't bother mentioning what headphones their using (I have a set of B&W P7s).

2. Can anyone say whether DSEE HX only works in the Walkman app, or whether it will work if say I'm playing music through Plex? I thought I read somewhere that it works for all music played regardless of the app.

3. On DACs, I've seen a few mentions of the FiiO. However, I've also read that it doesn't hold up very well to something like the Meridian Explorer that appears to be significantly smaller and more portable (and there are other USB DACs that are even smaller still). What is the best overall DAC for the Z3 then?

Some what related, I was reading about USB Audio Class 1.0 and 2.0 (apparently the Meridian is 2.0) and was wondering how/if this needs to factor into any decisions? See more below thread and the guy's comment I pasted below, which I don't full understand.

HRT MicroStreamer vs. Meridian Explorer... help me choose ? - Page 2

"Does anyone know how the Meridian Explorer would fare with a 32 ohm headphone like KEF M500 or B&W P7? I would just get the HRT Microstreamer, but my purpose for this is to connect directly with my phone via USB On-The-Go technology for mobile use, and I'm pretty certain USB Audio Class 1.0 devices don't support USB OTG because I've tried the Audioquest Dragonfly and it didn't work. Also doesn't work with my Schiit Modi which is also USB Audio Class 1.0 and the HRT is unfortunately USB Audio Class 1.0. Of ultra-portable DAC/amp combos, I only found the Meridian Explorer to be USB Audio Class 2.0. If anyone else know of any other ultra-portable DAC/amp combos like these products, please let me know!

Edit: Found this: Native DSD on iPhone and USB Audio on Android with HERUS | Resonessence
Anyone know if it's any good?

Edit 2: Nvm it looks to be DAC only, so back to the question on Meridian Explorer paired with 32 ohm headphones.

Edit 3: I believe it's more a matter of power the DAC/Amp needs. Ended up ordering the Audioengine D3.

malamute63

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I guess i'm about a year too late to be of any help to you, but i have the Z3 Compact and it does play Flac lossless files. I've done a lot of research before committing to any dac, but the best one in the market is the Dragonfly. An award winner and great price. Ver 1.2 is the latest and greatest. Cheers!

I'm also using the headphones of Bose Quiet Comfort 15,,and the flac files sound amazing!!

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm also using the headphones of Bose Quiet Comfort 15,,and the flac files sound amazing!!

I use QC 15's when I'm flying so I'm familiar with them, best noise cancellation out there. However, if you ever want to "melt your ears," try a pair of B&W's. You'll be amazed by the amount of detail you loose with the Bose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX