Verizon Z3V looks different than normal Z3?

Cajun_Mike

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm really bummed out.

My current 2 yeAR Verizon contract is up Nov. 20. I am using a Samsung Galaxy S3.
I dont want a S5 because i know a S6 is coming in March or April.
LG G3 was my phone of choice but after reading forums, i was hoping for something better and realizing i dont want a phone that big.

The Z3 compact was ideal as i am not wanting a huge phone. However, I was going to go ahead with the bigger Z3 anyways but now that Verizon as screwed the pooch i dont know what to do. HTC One M8 is not an option because of that crappy camera.

Note 4 is too damn big and I am not switching to Apple.
I guess i will wait until the spring and see what the Galaxy S6 looks like. I am so sick of my S3, you have no idea.

Switching from Verizon is not an option. It's not even close how much better their service is here in Louisiana.

I want to know who the VP of devices is at Verizon and his email address so i can send him an email about these jcackass decisions. Screwed up this launch and no compact.

brybelle22

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I agree with everything you've said. I can't tell you how many times in the last few days I've considered switching to AT&T so I could get the Z3C. Again, though, I'm "stuck" with Verizon because they have better service and I am still holding onto my unlimited data.

I was definitely ready to pony up the no-contract cost for the Z3C, but now I have to consider looking at the Turbo since my only options are 5+" screens. I hate to compromise with the Z3v.

rews

Banned
Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
They shouldn't be branding this phone as a Z3. I agree with you guys, this is dishonest of Verizon. Unfortunately nobody at the US division of Sony mobile put a stop to this. It's too bad the real Z3 doesn't work on verizon's messed up LTE bands because I would actually pay full price for the Z3 and give up a subsidy rather than this "Z 2/3 V"

eao1991

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I was upset at first with the direction Verizon took with the Z3. However, after watching the recent promo videos Sony has uploaded to YouTube for the Z3v, I'm probably going to end up getting it. Seems like a great device and it'll be a nice break from the typical Android OEM skin since I've never owned a Sony device before. I wonder how good Sony is though when it comes to providing software updates.

Sent from my LG G3

rews

Banned
Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I was upset at first with the direction Verizon took with the Z3. However, after watching the recent promo videos Sony has uploaded to YouTube for the Z3v, I'm probably going to end up getting it. Seems like a great device and it'll be a nice break from the typical Android OEM skin since I've never owned a Sony device before. I wonder how good Sony is though when it comes to providing software updates.

Sent from my LG G3

That's going to be interesting to see. The regular Sony branded Z series get updates to the carriers really fast, so that the carriers can work on releasing them. I wonder what kind of priority this Z3V will get though from Sony.

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site

Sent from my LG G3

I've never had the chance to own and use a Sony device either. Tried em all other than pantech. I like the capability to link and play PS4 games on the z3v. I liked my g3 in the beginning but development just isn't there. I've got an upgrade sitting on my line but I will not give up my unlimited data. I'm also looking forward to the z3v camera.

53N7 9R0M M4 G3

eao1991

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I've never had the chance to own and use a Sony device either. Tried em all other than pantech. I like the capability to link and play PS4 games on the z3v. I liked my g3 in the beginning but development just isn't there. I've got an upgrade sitting on my line but I will not give up my unlimited data. I'm also looking forward to the z3v camera.

53N7 9R0M M4 G3

Sicario? Nice haha. Definitely need to hold onto that unltd data and yeah the G3 dev scene was dry due to the lack of a bootloader bypass. One was recently released though so development will likely pick up soon. I've been enjoying my G3 unrooted but I get tired of devices fairly quickly. The new Nexus 6 coming to Verizon though has me interested.

Sent from my LG G3

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Sicario? Nice haha. Definitely need to hold onto that unltd data and yeah the G3 dev scene was dry due to the lack of a bootloader bypass. One was recently released though so development will likely pick up soon. I've been enjoying my G3 unrooted but I get tired of devices fairly quickly. The new Nexus 6 coming to Verizon though has me interested.

Sent from my LG G3

I think I get tired of my devices way too fast. I havent had my G3 very long and I'm already looking for the next ride. It's a bad habit. I'm rooted and waiting for development.

53N7 9R0M M4 G3

Last edited:

Sango02

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I agree with everything you've said. I can't tell you how many times in the last few days I've considered switching to AT&T so I could get the Z3C. Again, though, I'm "stuck" with Verizon because they have better service and I am still holding onto my unlimited data.

I was definitely ready to pony up the no-contract cost for the Z3C, but now I have to consider looking at the Turbo since my only options are 5+" screens. I hate to compromise with the Z3v.

It depends on your needs. If you don't plan to use it worldwide and only in US, then it should be still fine. Keep in mind, CDMA is phasing out in most of the world. For instance, Canada has is mostly GSM as CDMA networks are mostly shutdown and will be completely gone by 2017.

I left CDMA network in favor of GSM years ago because it's CDMA is dated and the phone variety is limited. Also one other good reason was that, if I used it in Canada, the battery dies within hours of roaming up there before I knew it. When I switched to GSM, that problem was gone.

Last edited:

eao1991

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
It depends on your needs. If you don't plan to use it worldwide and only in US, then it should be still fine. Keep in mind, CDMA is phasing out in most of the world. For instance, Canada has is mostly GSM as CDMA networks are mostly shutdown and will be completely gone by 2017.

I left CDMA network in favor of GSM years ago because it's CDMA is dated and the phone variety is limited. Also one other good reason was that, if I used it in Canada, the battery dies within hours of roaming up there before I knew it. When I switched to GSM, that problem was gone.

Verizon LTE phones can still be used around the world since they ship factory unlocked. That said, device selection is limited though since Verizon has to approve phones to be used on their network, unlike GSM networks.

Sent from my LG G3

Sango02

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Verizon LTE phones can still be used around the world since they ship factory unlocked. That said, device selection is limited though since Verizon has to approve phones to be used on their network, unlike GSM networks.

Sent from my LG G3

Thanks for the heads up. I just decided to have a look at the specs of the Z3v. Interesting to see that there is nano-SIM; that would make a difference so it would also work with GSM.

Back when I was on CDMA using a flip phone, there is no SIM which can be inserted, so if it were to roam it would drain super fast.

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Reviewers usually get units a week before they're released. More Z3v videos will likely begin popping in the next few days

Sent from my LG G3

There may not be a single soul that cares about my review but I'll gladly accept one device please to review

53N7 9R0M M4 G3

derrick_m

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Just noticed a couple interesting things on Sony's website.

On the Z3V page they don't even LIST camera and battery life (even though those sections are on the T-Mobile Z3 page).

The parts missing for the z3V are the "Our brightest screen yet", the entire camera section, and the entire battery section.

This would seem to confirm that the Z3v is closer to the Z2 in terms of Camera (12800 ISO), battery life, and screen brightness.

(Apparently I cannot post links. Go to Sony's product page)

Attachments

• Z3Features.png
    Z3Features.png
    59.1 KB · Views: 18

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC