Z2 vs Z3 ergonomics

jiggyb21

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I am looking for answers from people that owned the Z2 and have upgraded to the Z3. My question is solely to do with ergonomics. It's all over the internet that the Z3 is thinner, lighter and curved around the edges. How much does this improve one-handed usability?

As reference this is my story:

I have above average sized hands. I can not quite use the phone comfortably one-handed all the time. The problem isn't just the size, it's the materials and shape. When my hands are, for whatever reason a little extra grippy, I am fine. But most of the time it is ever so slightly unwieldy. It's too much to deal with and I LOVE the Z2 and because of this I have been considering a Z3 Compact. I want people's actual real world comparison to how the improvements relate to holding the Z2 vs Z3 with one hand.

I'm not trying to be a jerk but I'm really not interested in people's comparison to other phones. Thanks alot. I am waiting for some advice before pulling the trigger!!!

mush10

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I have had mine for half a day and have no experience with Z2, but figured I would share my opinion. I am a real fan of phones I can use with one-hand. I am constantly on the go and they help me be more productive (at least in theory). Small to me is now the Nexus 5. That phone is fine to use one-handed for me. I am 6'4" with above average hands I would guess for reference.

I am feeling this phone may be a little large to be my daily driver. It seems like the HTC M8. A little tall and slick. I will put a full body protector on which usually takes care of that issue on slippery phones.

The phone is fantastic though. Screen has amazing clarity and is probably the best constructed phone on the market. I am not sure if I will keep this and get the compact to be my main device (swapping between the two when I don't need one handed use) or try and make this work. (If I decide to sell rather than return I would give someone here a decent deal on a 6603).

Apologies for the rambling but wanted to give you some thoughts. I think it really comes down to personal preference, but I am happy to answer any questions.

Good luck with your decision.

tim2000s

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I have larger than average hands and have found that the Z3 is probably at the bounds of size that I would go to. I can still hold it comfortably, but people with smaller hands would struggle.

What I would note is that the slipperyness is likely to cause more issues. The very smooth glass front and back makes it surprisingly slippery and in both your hand and on a not quite flat (and I mean marginally sloped, like one degree) surface, it slides.

I bought a cheapish gel case and that resolves the slippery problem!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463