Help with model 6603 on AT&T

pmr6644

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
So I just got my z3 model 6603 and went to AT&T to get it set up, everything seems to be working great except for its only showing hspa+ when I connect to mobile network instead of 4g or 4g lte, is this normal? I had the guy use an AT&T phone imei number but still isn't showing lte or 4g. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

hanime

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried to change the APN settings on the phone for AT&T? I don't know what else, it should support the data frequencies for 4G and LTE.

mush10

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
It sounds like you are not receiving or are not in an LTE area. The phone will show 4G for LTE and HSPA/+ for 3G. Do you happen to have a phone with a nano sim prior to this? The best way is to get activated and just take the SIM out and put it in the Z3. If not the way you described should work.

mush10

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried to change the APN settings on the phone for AT&T? I don't know what else, it should support the data frequencies for 4G and LTE.

That actually reminds me. You can go into the settings and have it pull down AT&T's settings or as mentioned above just pull them off your current device.

pmr6644

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm definitely in LTE area as all of my previous phones have supported 4G lte here without a problem. I came from an s4 and a G3 so unfortunately neither of those take a nono sim for me to try it in. That's a good idea though. The guy at att put the apn settings in, maybe I need to try downloading them through the phone I didn't know that was possible.

pmr6644

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Just tried it without success, still only showing hspa+. Can anyone who has the 6603 working on att post me their apn settings? I would really appreciate it.

pmr6644

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Man do I feel foolish, I had to go into mobile networks> network mode> then choose lte as preferred network. Thanks for the help though. First time using an unlocked device.

JudH

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Man do I feel foolish, I had to go into mobile networks> network mode> then choose lte as preferred network. Thanks for the help though. First time using an unlocked device.
Good to know they're there unlike on ATT branded phones. What are the exact options available?

LTE at my house is VERY weak. Our Samsung S3 kept switching off the strong H+ signal because it was seeing LTE but then almost immediately switched back. Result--shot the battery life to hxxx. Thanks to ATT removing the network options there was no way to fix it. Luckily I finally found a post with instructions to pop the sim while the phone was on and then you could access a network menu and disable LTE. But too hard to do on an ongoing basis so we've been doing without LTE on that phone.

I need to upgrade my Atrix2 but the missing Network options has been one of my unknowns.

mush10

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Are you sure you have the D6603? I didn't see the LTE option, but I guess if you do not have a UK version it could. Where did you buy it from?

Glad or worked out.

Posted via Galaxy S5

Sango02

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site

That is a bit strange because you typically don't have to change that. I wonder if its one of the firmware customizations.

Could you let me us know the firmware customization number the phone is?

Sango02

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Are you sure you have the D6603? I didn't see the LTE option, but I guess if you do not have a UK version it could. Where did you buy it from?

Glad or worked out.

Posted via Galaxy S5

It should be there. Its not nornally something that needs to be set.

In your case it will most likely show it as 4G because of it being the UK version.

Of course, you do have the option of flashing it to the US version so you have the LTE icons.

mush10

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
It should be there. Its not nornally something that needs to be set.

In your case it will most likely show it as 4G because of it being the UK version.

Of course, you do have the option of flashing it to the US version so you have the LTE icons.
Can you change the firmware with the Sony Bridge for Mac and can it be done without unlocking the bootloader?

I can't tell if the Mac software mimics the flash tool or not. I am concerned about having to unlock the bootloader due to losing drm functionality in the camera, etc.

Thanks for your help with this.

Posted via Galaxy S5

Sango02

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Can you change the firmware with the Sony Bridge for Mac and can it be done without unlocking the bootloader?

I can't tell if the Mac software mimics the flash tool or not. I am concerned about having to unlock the bootloader due to losing drm functionality in the camera, etc.

Thanks for your help with this.

Posted via Galaxy S5

The XperiFirm and the FlashTool is for PC.

As for unlocking the bootloader, wait until an exploit is found so you can back up the TA partition, then your concerns will be gone since you reload them back.

mush10

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks again. So I can flash without unlocking the bootloader or ate you saying to wait all together? Last question - it can only be done with a Pc and you cannot use a Mac?

Thanks for all the help.

Posted via Galaxy S5

Sango02

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Thanks again. So I can flash without unlocking the bootloader or ate you saying to wait all together? Last question - it can only be done with a Pc and you cannot use a Mac?

Thanks for all the help.

Posted via Galaxy S5

Yes, you need a PC to do it. Flashing the firmware does not depend on the bootloader.

mush10

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Sango - I appreciate all of your help with this. I downloaded the tool from the Sony site and downloaded Xperifirm. When I try and connect the device to Emma, I get a message stating the bootloader is locked and I cannot access the device. Am I doing something wrong or does the bootloader need to be unlocked? I was hoping to avoid doing that due to some camera issues I have read about. I guess the other option is to use Androxyde and relock the bootloader if that works.

I appreciate any insight you have on this. If there is a way to do this without unlocking that is really what I am looking for. Thanks again.

Sent from my Xperia Z3

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Sango - I appreciate all of your help with this. I downloaded the tool from the Sony site and downloaded Xperifirm. When I try and connect the device to Emma, I get a message stating the bootloader is locked and I cannot access the device. Am I doing something wrong or does the bootloader need to be unlocked? I was hoping to avoid doing that due to some camera issues I have read about. I guess the other option is to use Androxyde and relock the bootloader if that works.

I appreciate any insight you have on this. If there is a way to do this without unlocking that is really what I am looking for. Thanks again.

Sent from my Xperia Z3

I don't know if the Mods will remove this, I hope not as I'm not trying to promote any Forum, just trying to help you and others that may have problems and before you do something that can damage your phone, its better to read VERY WELL this and any other you may need.

Sango02

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site

Sent from my Xperia Z3

Oh it's not Emma. I mean this FlashTool.

Flashtool - Xperia device flashing

Please make sure you check the MD5 which is listed on the site after you download from one of the mirrors. I say this because one of the links if I recall is bad and has spyware/virus in it, as you'll know because it will not match the MD5.

The guides on how to use both XperiFirm and Flashtool are on xda which I'm also a member of.

mush10

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks to both of you. I will head over there. I have same screen name, but the info you guys gave should allow me to get this done today. I really appreciate the help.

Sent from my Xperia Z3

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Try going to Mobile Network settings and make sure LTE Preferred is selected

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1413898266614.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1413898266614.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 14

Forum statistics

Threads