Sony Xperia Z3 Accidentally deleted misc file - important?

Tmel14

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
big error...

The storage on my phone suddenly got really low so I looked at where it was all allocated and in Misc. there was almost 4GB taken up by semc-mtpbackuptransport, I ticked it to see if it was deletable and ended up deleting it by mistake. Is this an imperative file on my phone that I shouldn't have deleted?

The storage warning which alerted me to this occurred when I was trying to do an Xperia Transfer from my IPhone via desktop. I don't know if it was coincidence and the file was already on my phone or if it was created while I was attempting this transfer (which didn't work anyway). My phone was super slow for a while after I deleted it (may have just been due to deleting such a big file).

I just wanted to make sure my phone isn't going to die without it?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Accidentally deleted misc file - important?

The downside to the Misc. file is just about anything can be in there. Unfortunately, without knowing more details about the file, I can't say what the consequences are for deleting it.

How long has the file been deleted?

Tmel14

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site

The downside to the Misc. file is just about anything can be in there. Unfortunately, without knowing more details about the file, I can't say what the consequences are for deleting it.

How long has the file been deleted?

I only deleted it a couple of hours ago. Haven't used my phone much since as I've been worried about what might happen, seems like such a big file to not be important. I've listened to some music and gone on Play Store and didn't encounter any problems.

Not sure whether to just carry on using my phone as normal or if there's anything I should try and do first?

JBeef

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site

I only deleted it a couple of hours ago. Haven't used my phone much since as I've been worried about what might happen, seems like such a big file to not be important. I've listened to some music and gone on Play Store and didn't encounter any problems.

Not sure whether to just carry on using my phone as normal or if there's anything I should try and do first?

There's nothing you can do now really so you might as well use the phone normally. You're only going to know if something isn't working when you try and use it. You might be lucky and everything is fine.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

JBeef is probably right. Not much you can do now, except use the phone, and see.

Tmel14

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site

There's nothing you can do now really so you might as well use the phone normally. You're only going to know if something isn't working when you try and use it. You might be lucky and everything is fine.

Will do. Should I back everything up now?

Don't know if this makes a difference but my phone isn't rooted or anything like that. It wasn't like it was a hidden file I had to search for in file explorer, it was just right there on Storage in settings - surely there'd be a warning message pop up of I tried to delete something really important? If not, those files really shouldn't be available for beginners to delete!

Benjymann

May 5, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

Was just wondering whether your phone worked ok since you deleted this file? I'd like to delete it too but not if it's going to bugger up my phone!

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1