Almost bought the xperia z3 until i compared the 20mp camera to my note 3 13mp camera

Chitown28

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
So i was so in on buying the sony xperia z3 i was checking it out at the store and ready to tell the worker go get it for me im ready to buy but when i turned the camera on and turned the camera on my note 3 then compared my note 3 with a 13mp camera took way better pics and the pics were alot more focused what a damn shame when sony claims there camera is 20mp yet my 13mp takes better pics.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
So i was so in on buying the sony xperia z3 i was checking it out at the store and ready to tell the worker go get it for me im ready to buy but when i turned the camera on and turned the camera on my note 3 then compared my note 3 with a 13mp camera took way better pics and the pics were alot more focused what a damn shame when sony claims there camera is 20mp yet my 13mp takes better pics.

Megapixels doesn't necessarily mean better pictures....a lot of factors come into play such as how and where you focus, lighting, etc...but to each his own I guess

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes it's not all about the MegaPixels. That being said, the Z3 doesn't take bad pictures usually. Maybe the demo unit was defective or it had some protective film that kept it from focusing properly?

The Note 3 DOES take amazing pictures... as long as they're well lit and with no moving subjects. Samsung phones have very capable cameras but suffer from a slow shutter problem. So unless you're in a very well lit place (and I mean sunbright light) and your subject is not moving, you'll get potentially blurry pictures with the Note 3.

Chitown28

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
The one i tested the camera with was brand new and just put on display at the tmobile store and there was no protective film on it i even wiped the lens clean it was just horrible to me.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, too bad. I've seen some awesome pictures taken with Z3's but yeah, I also took very good pictures with my Note 3 when my subject wasn't moving (impossible to get a good shot of my I'mNeverQuietOrStill puppy).

cjtraas

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
My Z3 is in the mail so I don't know for sure... but doesn't the Z3 have it's camera taking pics in 8 megapixels as default, and you have to change it to 20 in the settings?... Or am I off on this one? If so, maybe this is a reason the Z3 pics did not look quite as good as expected.

JBeef

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site

Why are you posting here then? Your note 3 is better in your opinion so you've saved yourself some $. And Sony claims it's 20mp because it is. However, other factors such as image processing also have an effect on image quality.

scoty024

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I'm betting the demo unit was on superior auto. Took me half a day to realize that I had to change it to manual. For some reason I haven't been impressed by superior auto at all, but switch it to manual and I couldn't be happier, and that's without manually changing any of the settings.

That being said, is there a way to ensure that the camera opens to manual each time it's loaded? Currently the only time I use superior auto is if I have to take a quick pic and then it's hit or miss. If it always opened to manual I'd have more confidence in the quick shots.

Posted via the Android Central App

techaddict2

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm betting the demo unit was on superior auto. Took me half a day to realize that I had to change it to manual. For some reason I haven't been impressed by superior auto at all, but switch it to manual and I couldn't be happier, and that's without manually changing any of the settings.

That being said, is there a way to ensure that the camera opens to manual each time it's loaded? Currently the only time I use superior auto is if I have to take a quick pic and then it's hit or miss. If it always opened to manual I'd have more confidence in the quick shots.

If you leave the camera in manual and close the app when you open again it will be in manual. I like it this way .

techaddict2

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site

Agree manual is good but I'm OK with auto too and my z3 focuses just fine and I'm happy with the pictures nice and alaot of details I use it in 15 mp mode.

scoty024

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
If you leave the camera in manual and close the app when you open again it will be in manual. I like it this way .

I would love it this way, but sadly this is not always the case. It's as if it resets on a nightly basis. If it's within an hours or so then yes, but if I haven't taken a picture for a couple hours it will be back to superior auto... Just checked, it's on superior auto... Last pic taken was on manual.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Idk why you arguing about the camera...your experience is not the law of the land...Many people have taken great pics with the Xperia Z3....I have been on the Note 4 forums and people are complaining about how bad the camera is...what your eyes see is different than what someone else's eyes see...to me the Z3 is one of the best camera's I have ever had, and I have posted pics in the "Pictures" thread to prove it

If anything, you should bring your own proof of what you see instead of arguing the Z3 camera is worst than the Note 3 camera without showing anything for it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs