File Naming Issues...

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
As there's no way to actually move or create photo folders on the Z3 seemingly, I have to use file commander. This is OK, but whenever I move a few photos that I've have taken to a folder, the next set I take are also named DCM001, 002 and so on, so when I cut and paste, it says that there's a clash as they've been used before, so I have to rename every individual photo before I cut and paste it. This is OK for the odd snap, bur a a real pain if I've taken lots of pictures.

Anyone got a solution or workaround?

Posted via the Android Central App

JudH

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't appear to be using a stored starting number--looks like it just uses the highest file name as the template. In other words if DCM008 is the last file the next pic will be DCM009. It doesn't fill any gaps. So you can just leave a copy of the LAST photo (and remember to delete it instead of copying it again) and the next photo will be correct.

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Doesn't appear to be using a stored starting number--looks like it just uses the highest file name as the template. In other words if DCM008 is the last file the next pic will be DCM009. It doesn't fill any gaps. So you can just leave a copy of the LAST photo (and remember to delete it instead of copying it again) and the next photo will be correct.

Cheers.

I see what you're saying, but it's not even not just filling gaps - If, for example, I take 5 photo's, and the Z3 calls them DCM001, 002, 003, 004 & 005, and I move them to A N Other folder suing File Commander, when I take the next 5, they are also then called DCM001, 002, 003, 004 & 005, as the first five are then filed in another folder. So you can imagine what a pain this is if I take 100 pictures one day on a day out somewhere, and then another 100 the next which I wish to then put into the same folder.

This whole issue seems to stem from the fact that the Sony Z3 is the first smartphone I've used that only allows the creation & naming of folders within a the actual files using a file manager, as opposed to the photo/video/gallery app. itself. I never had this issue on the LG G3 or indeed the Blackberry Z30 before that,

Hopefully there's a way around this? Starting to think not!

JudH

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Not sure you did understand me. I'm saying DON'T MOVE the highest numbered photo (DCM005 in your example)--COPY that one to where you want it but LEAVE it in the DCIM folder. As long as there is no file present the camera is going to restart at 001. If there is one photo DCM005 the next photo will be 006. You'll just have to remember to delete the first photo the next time you move photos.

Here's another way. Use OfficeSuite or an editor to create a one character DCM005.TXT file in the empty DCIM folder. Rename it DCM005.JPG. The next 3 photos will be DCM006 thru DCM008. When you go into File Commander to move the photos the thumbnail for DCM005 will be very visible so easy to exclude from the move. Once the others are moved RENAME DCM005.JPG to DCM008.JPG so the next photo will be DCM009 and etc. renaming to the highest number each time.

Incidentally I'm seeing DSC_0005 instead of DCM005. Odd.

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Not sure you did understand me. I'm saying DON'T MOVE the highest numbered photo (DCM005 in your example)--COPY that one to where you want it but LEAVE it in the DCIM folder. As long as there is no file present the camera is going to restart at 001. If there is one photo DCM005 the next photo will be 006. You'll just have to remember to delete the first photo the next time you move photos.

Here's another way. Use OfficeSuite or an editor to create a one character DCM005.TXT file in the empty DCIM folder. Rename it DCM005.JPG. The next 3 photos will be DCM006 thru DCM008. When you go into File Commander to move the photos the thumbnail for DCM005 will be very visible so easy to exclude from the move. Once the others are moved RENAME DCM005.JPG to DCM008.JPG so the next photo will be DCM009 and etc. renaming to the highest number each time.

Incidentally I'm seeing DSC_0005 instead of DCM005. Odd.

Gotcha. You're right... I didn't get you first time. I'll try the first option, although I still find it astonishing that the Z3 doesn't have an option to create files and move stuff outside of a file manager app.

Posted via the Android Central App

ysbg

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
For those of you interested in having photo names in date and time format (e.g. 201411240941 or something of the sort), dropbox does it automatically if you have auto upload on. You can then take your photos from the dropbox folder and you won't run into that problem again.

N_LaRUE

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Noob here...what app is recommended in order to create Folders in the album program?

You shouldn't hijack another thread but I'll answer your question anyway.

I hear QuickPic is good but it doesn't work with SD Cards.

If you want to create folders you can use File Commander (found in your app list). You can tap either the internal memory or the external.

In either case you go into DCIM and create a folder there or you can go into 100ANDRO and create one there. You can then move things around in File Commander or the Album app.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2