Which one should I get the Sony Xperia Z3 or HTC One M8?

strav22

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: Sony Xperia Z3 or HTC One M8

Which do you prefer as an Overall phone?

Tough call. I'm coming from a Nexus 5. Bought the z3 for battery life, if my nexus 5 could get z3 battery life I would have kept it.

HTC does a better job with their UI. Sony has better battery life, water/dust proof, better camera.

I would go with the z3 and use a launcher/icon pack.

Posted via the Android Central App

alfienoakes

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site

This is my dilemma too. M8 concerned about the camera, Z3 concerned about the glass back (whoever came up that idea?)

strav22

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site

This is my dilemma too. M8 concerned about the camera, Z3 concerned about the glass back (whoever came up that idea?)

I'm waiting for my rhino shield (front and back) until I switch to the z3. I'm still using my nexus 5 until the protectors and the case come.

strav22

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site

Get the GPE M8 or wait for the release of the Z4/M9.

No, wait for the Z5 or the M10, I heard the one plus three is coming out.

All jokes aside, get the phone you want. There will always be something on the horizon.

TheUnknownUser

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site

I've owned the Nexus 5, M8, and now Z3. I found I love the Z3 the best. Battery life it's easily the Z3. I had no issues with taking pictures using my M8 however I find the Z3 to be slightly better but the UI of the Z3 camera app I don't like in comparison to the HTC camera app. M8 and the Z3 are both slippery phones but I find the M8 with its curved back is easier to hold that being said I prefer the flat phone in the Z3 due to the fact I can put it on my tablet and I can use it without the phone wobblying. Sony UI is very minimalistic otherwise for the most part it reminds me a lot of vanilla Android. HTC uses Sense which is by far my favourite skin of all devices because it's not vanilla Android but it's not over bearing like say Touch Wiz in my opinion. I don't consider Sony Xperia a skin because it's so so minimalistic in comparison to HTC Sense, Touch Wiz, LG UI and so on. Again all this is my personal preference. Feel free to ask any specific questions if you guys like. Both are great phones. Both have amazing front facing speakers that sets them apart from all other phones for me when it comes to speaker quality.

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site

The M8 has that premium feel - probably still morso than any other flagship. The UI is excellent also. The camera does always seem to be the sticking point though - I guess it depends if you're just the casual snapper type, or need something a little more (although 4mp - regardless of apertures and gizmos - is pretty naff on a 2014 flagship phone, IMO).

I had an LG G3 for a few months - another great phone - but, depsite the ability to swap batteries, got fed up of having to do so and seeing my battery graph looking like a stair case (brilliant standby usage, then massive power drops anytime you had the QHD screen on for any length of time). I was lucky to get 12-14 hours usually. A friend lauded the Z3, so I got one.

3 weeks in, and it's easily the best phone I've owned. It's feels and looks premium. Yes, the glass 'sandwich' does make it a little slippery in the hand, and a bt scared to drop it, but I personally always use a case any way - I have a thin skin rubber type, which keeps the phone looking smart but is grippy also.

The display is sharp, and the Nits it hits with its brightness mean you can see it in all conditions, even on auto. The Sony skin is so minimalistic that it's the nearest I've used to vanilla android, that actually isn't. The camera is excellent, although I must say the G3 laser-focus was just a bit better, despite the lower MP count.

And then there's the battery. I just lasts. I unplug at 6am on weekdays, and really use the phone - SMS, EM, downloads, some streaming, Twitter, FB, gaming - the lowest it's gotten to at 11pm is 19%, and usually it's over 30%. It's a 3100mah battery, but whatever black magic Sony have put in to make it last just works. If you're a 'normal' user (whatever that is), it's quite possible to go way, way into a second day.

Indrajit Mitra

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
HTC One M8 - I got myself an Xperia Z3 right after it's launch in India - got swayed by the bright display, dust proof, clarity and lag-free gaming. It turned out to be a different game altogether when I started using it - the User interface is very dull and you will get bugged looking at it and using it on a daily basis. Loads of camera features and excellent quality as well, but you won't take pics everyday, will you? When it got to playing games, about around one hour of play, my cell phone started heating up! And yes, I bought myself the purple coloured model, looked good to hold but not that great. Battery life was pretty good. After around a month or so, I found that the price had dropped and I got bored of using the cell phone!! Android Central, Tech Radar, GSM arena and many videos on Youtube were highlighting HTC One M8 at their prime then - I decided to sell off my Z3 (a a very discounted price - didn't get a good deal) and bought one HTC One M8 (Gunmetal grey). This one is for the connoisseurs - the feel, the look, the built quality; everything. Lovely UI, amazingly fast (even more than the Z3, which used to slow down a bit on opening multiple programs together), no heating up problems, no lags for high end games like MC4, Asphalt 8. Yes, the camera is a bit 'bad' but the eye update and apps like Retrica and the in built editor does the job - like I said I dont click pics everyday. The battery drains a bit fast (likely around 18 hours after heavy use) - use the Stamina option to save it. Messaging, calling, setting up of icons, placing them and looking at them at times gives me goose bumps that yes, it is a 'good phone' to hold and to use! HTC One M8 - my say!

Indrajit Mitra

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
How could I forget it's sound - sound par excellence and no other phone on this planet probably beats the quality of sound and headphone playback the kind HTC One M8 offers - no other phone!

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I had the M8 for a few months and now I have the Z3.

I like the look and feel of the Z3 much better. As mentioned, both are slippery phones but for some reason I think the M8 is the more slippery of the 2. I also prefer the look of the Z3 when compared to the M8.

I didn't mind HTC Sense and it has some nice features but Sony is more towards the pure Android side of the fence. HTC has always been very slow with software / firmware updates so that may be a consideration as well. I'm not sure how fast Sony will be as this is my 1st Sony device but I believe they've already said the Z3 will be getting 5.0 update next month..

Overall both phones are fantastic and it's a tuff call which to get. I guess it depends on what's important to you. The Z3 has the much better camera and battery and the HTC has the better sound from the front speakers..

My only real gripe is the Z3 is a fingerprint magnet. After a few minutes of handling it, it has fingerprints and smudges everywhere. If you are OCD like me you;ll need to wipe the front and back off constantly..

Good luck with whichever you choose..

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
the User interface is very dull and you will get bugged looking at it and using it on a daily basis.

What you mean is that you, yourself, got 'bugged' looking at it.

The vast majority of people I have asked have liked the UI, and the fact that it does the job without having to have bells & whistles all over it.

Neub13

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site

I'm a music heavy user. So I would go with the HTC. I went from an htc one to a z3 and slightly regret it.

Only slightly. And only bc the volume controls suck. Other than that, I love my z3. The battery just gives and gives.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
i would get htc ive had the z2 htc his abetter phone

And you base this on what? The HTC has less RAM, a lessor processor and a much, much worse camera. The only thing I can see the M8 being better at is sound from the front speakers.

The Sony UI is also much better than Sense.

mikeyboy80

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the advice guys, i've done something you're all gonna think im stupid for but despite me trying the Z3 for a few days, im going to go back to the iphone 6 :(

Little things i missed my iphone for such as imessage and i find it so much easier to type :( Im gutted in a way cause i didnt want to go back to the dry-iphone but got no other option :(

TheUnknownUser

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the advice guys, i've done something you're all gonna think im stupid for but despite me trying the Z3 for a few days, im going to go back to the iphone 6 :(

Little things i missed my iphone for such as imessage and i find it so much easier to type :( Im gutted in a way cause i didnt want to go back to the dry-iphone but got no other option :(

iMessage no way around it unless you use other IM services, but the keyboard did you try out other third party ones?