Sony Xperia z3v or LG G3?

briannamarie91

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys,

I purchased a z3v outright and I am loving it. It's a beautiful phone with great screen resolution, camera, and battery. It's thicker and heavier than I want and that is what is making me wonder is the g3 a better bet for me? It hurts my pinkys a bit with I hold it up. Is there any speculation of when the next g series or z series is coming out because I have an upgrade coming up next year and would like to compare those to the galaxy series. I also have a galaxy s5 that I wanted to get rid of as it feels cheap. The sony feels premium and is made of glass. Based on your experiences please let me know what you would recommend? . My other question is, does sony support the z3v? Say my screen cracks can I send it into sony to have it replaced? I have VZW service but they don't cover that. I have a glass protector on the front and am currently searching for a way to protect the back. It's so bulky with a case. But its so beautiful ugh I'm torn!! HELP! lol

Your fellow phone obsessor,

Bri :)

Update: I purchased the g3 as well and plan on returning one. As of now I am loving the feel of the g3. It is not heavy or a burden to hold. I like the interface of the Sony better but the bulk and thickness of it is making me think g3 is best fit for me until the next line comes out in spring and I can see than. These two deff beat out Samsung s series!!!

Last edited:

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys,

I purchased a z3v outright and I am loving it. It's a beautiful phone with great screen resolution, camera, and battery. It's thicker and heavier than I want and that is what is making me wonder is the g3 a better bet for me? It hurts my pinkys a bit with I hold it up. Is there any speculation of when the next g series or z series is coming out because I have an upgrade coming up next year and would like to compare those to the galaxy series. I also have a galaxy s5 that I wanted to get rid of as it feels cheap. The sony feels premium and is made of glass. Based on your experiences please let me know what you would recommend? . My other question is, does sony support the z3v? Say my screen cracks can I send it into sony to have it replaced? I have VZW service but they don't cover that. I have a glass protector on the front and am currently searching for a way to protect the back. It's so bulky with a case. But its so beautiful ugh I'm torn!! HELP! lol

Your fellow phone obsessor,

Bri :)

It's really a bummer that the Verizon Z3 is quite a bit thicker, heavier and taller than the Z3..

I think if my option was the Z3v that I would have went with something else..

In your case, I'd probably go with the G3 as for some reason (my opinion) Verizon decided to ruin the Z3,

TheUnknownUser

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Sony does offer insurance for cracked screens etc here in Canada. So I'm guessing you can purchase it, however I'm not 100% sure because sometimes insurance differ from country to country.

Posted via the Android Central App

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I had a G3, and traded it for a Z3 (albeit in the UK, so it obviously differs from the slightly bizarre Verizon 'part Z2, part Z3' version).

The G3 is a great phone. I'd say that it beats the Z3 with it's camera (fewer MP, but the laser focus is amazing), but the Z3 camera is still one of the best. The G3 screen is excellent, although it's debatable whether the quad HD screen is of any real use on comparatively small things like phones - the 1080p Z3 display seems every bit as sharp and clear as the G3's. I really like the way G3 have put the buttons on the rear of the phone. It works, and shows some real innovation.

However, overall, it's definitely the Z3 for me. The UI is a bit slicker (the G3 was showing some lag after a couple of months, and whenever I had a few apps open and went to the homescreen, I got redraws). The general feel is great, but I do have a case, albeit a slim one, as the Z3 is VERY slippery being a glass sandwich. Then there's the killer for me - the battery. Obviously this is personal preference, but, despite the G3 's 3000mah battery being removable, I was just getting a bit bored of watching a 100% charge hit less than 20% by 4pm most days. The Sony's 3100mah battery can't be taken out, but 100% at 6am is now usually about 30% by 11pm, with heavy usage. It's genuinely the first flagship smartphone I've used where I actually forget about checking battery usage.

From what I've read, a Z4 may be imminent in the first quarter of 2015. Sony did make noises about going down the more standard route of a new top-end unit every 12 months (instead of 6), but I hear that that will begin after the Z4... all speculation though.

briannamarie91

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
I couldn't agree more that the Z3 is the better phone however with Verizon I am forced to deal with the bulkier and heavier version. The battery is 10x better on the Sony but isn't a deal breaker for me I come from a long line of Samsungs I'm used to constantly charging and have access to a charger. What I love most about the z3 (z3v too) is the glass design and wish I could have that. I like the g3 shape and it's so much lighter it feels better in my hands. I wish I could have a hybrid of both. If the z3 was available for Verizon I would get that that as it's lighter and thinner. I don't like the z3v and don't care for wireless charging I'd rather have the sliker phone. I will see what the spring line brings. Thank you so much for your detailed response I appreciate it.

Also side note had given the option again I would of gotten the black Sony z3v... the Verizon version has different material around the edges and the white version is already getting yellow and I have had it for 3 days.

Keep the opinions coming I am interested!

DJ Sandman

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I don't think the LG G3 has wireless charging, so the Z3v has that feature, along with being "semi-waterproof" and dust-free.

I have the black Z3v and while I prefer it over the white version, it's more of a fingerprint magnet if you don't have a case. The Verizon clerk I dealt with first brought out the white Z3v by mistake, but I was intrigued afterwards that it hid fingerprint smudging better.

There are some really good phones out there, including the G3 and Z3v. I'll also throw this out there - if you want the best specs for the same exact price, it's tough to beat the Droid Turbo.

I tend to go with the "Underdog" so that's why I picked the Z3v. No major issues and it's never acted up or shutdown during my 2 month experience with it!

And for future reference, keep an eye out for the Xperia Z4, LG G4 and Galaxy S6 in 2015.

Last edited:

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I don't think the LG G3 has wireless charging, so the Z3v has that feature, along with being "semi-waterproof" and dust-free.

I have the black Z3v and while I prefer it over the white version, it's more of a fingerprint magnet if you don't have a case. The Verizon clerk I dealt with first brought out the white Z3v by mistake, but I was intrigued afterwards that it hid fingerprint smudging better.

There are some really good phones out there, including the G3 and Z3v. I'll also throw this out there - if you want the best specs for the same exact price, it's tough to beat the Droid Turbo.

I tend to go with the "Underdog" so that's why I picked the Z3v. No major issues and it's never acted up or shutdown during my 2 month experience with it!

My G3 charged wirelessly.

Not phone is totally waterproof, in the sense that you have to stay within the parameters (30 mins at 1 metre, and all that kind of stuff), but I wouldn't say it's semi-waterproof as such. If you submerge it in fresh water, it works. You can video underwater also - I'd say that's about as waterproof as you can get currently.

I looked at the Droid Turbo too (not available in the UK, but was thinking of getting one shipped). Looks like a great phone, with the only battery that can challenge the Z3, but the lack of SD card support stopped me. I guess that depends on what space you need.

DJ Sandman

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
My G3 charged wirelessly.

Not phone is totally waterproof, in the sense that you have to stay within the parameters (30 mins at 1 metre, and all that kind of stuff), but I wouldn't say it's semi-waterproof as such. If you submerge it in fresh water, it works. You can video underwater also - I'd say that's about as waterproof as you can get currently.

I looked at the Droid Turbo too (not available in the UK, but was thinking of getting one shipped). Looks like a great phone, with the only battery that can challenge the Z3, but the lack of SD card support stopped me. I guess that depends on what space you need.

Sorry for the mistake on the LG G3 wireless charging. My bad! On the waterproofing, I concur with your statement.

FWIW - my Z3v got "submerged" in water by accident for just a few seconds. Even the USB flap was open, but luckily there was no damage!

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Just saying......you guys do know there is a separate forum here for the Z3v. You might connect better there with other Z3v owners. While the Z3v does share some similarities with the Z3, there are differences.

briannamarie91

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
I had a G3, and traded it for a Z3 (albeit in the UK, so it obviously differs from the slightly bizarre Verizon 'part Z2, part Z3' version).

The G3 is a great phone. I'd say that it beats the Z3 with it's camera (fewer MP, but the laser focus is amazing), but the Z3 camera is still one of the best. The G3 screen is excellent, although it's debatable whether the quad HD screen is of any real use on comparatively small things like phones - the 1080p Z3 display seems every bit as sharp and clear as the G3's. I really like the way G3 have put the buttons on the rear of the phone. It works, and shows some real innovation.

However, overall, it's definitely the Z3 for me. The UI is a bit slicker (the G3 was showing some lag after a couple of months, and whenever I had a few apps open and went to the homescreen, I got redraws). The general feel is great, but I do have a case, albeit a slim one, as the Z3 is VERY slippery being a glass sandwich. Then there's the killer for me - the battery. Obviously this is personal preference, but, despite the G3 's 3000mah battery being removable, I was just getting a bit bored of watching a 100% charge hit less than 20% by 4pm most days. The Sony's 3100mah battery can't be taken out, but 100% at 6am is now usually about 30% by 11pm, with heavy usage. It's genuinely the first flagship smartphone I've used where I actually forget about checking battery usage.

From what I've read, a Z4 may be imminent in the first quarter of 2015. Sony did make noises about going down the more standard route of a new top-end unit every 12 months (instead of 6), but I hear that that will begin after the Z4... all speculation though.

Did the over sharpening on the g3 annoying you? It's driving me crazy but I'm not sure if there's a way to get rid of that without rooting and I haven't tried to rooting yet.

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Did the over sharpening on the g3 annoying you? It's driving me crazy but I'm not sure if there's a way to get rid of that without rooting and I haven't tried to rooting yet.

Personally, I never found it an issue, but other than ones that are very low spec., screen quality is conceptual as everyone sees things differently.

makie

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I would pick the Z3, just because it looks different, copper and green are just AWSOME!

2k resolution is nice to have, but not needed. I went from a G3 to a 1+ to a iPhone 6 and all screens where pleasent to watch! Now I'm back on 2k phone (note 4) and trust me, it drains the battery kinda fast!

I would seriously recommend the Z3 even tho I never owned 1.

Posted via the Android Central App

briannamarie91

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Just to follow up almost a month after the switch from z3v to LG I do not regret it one bit. I loved the z3v but the LG g3 has blown it out of the park in regards to feel and screen size. The bezels are so nice And thin. The z3 was much better than the z3v but still lacks the large screen. It will be a tough debate between the New models lol

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech