Normal Battery life?

Alter Poser

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
SIMPLE QUESTION:
Battery seems like a dud... am I wrong or right?

LONG QUESTION:
Okay.. so i got the phone at Tmobile as a vday gift for myself because why not? but as soon as I was handed the phone at the counter, I noticed that it had 98% battery life. That was only after it was set up with my Google account and testing to make sure my number worked. I also noticed how warm the phone was. It hadn't even been 5 mins since the device was turned on. Whatever maybe I was judging too soon. Took it home played on it none stop and it felt like that battery was dropping as fast as my LG's L9 does.. And because of the L9 I feel like I'm a master at conserving battery life. It was on airplane mode 90% of the time. So on the Z3, I turned on STAMINA mode right away.

wElCGmp.jpg

VcrqpXO.jpg

Same Phone different day, i get different result for different days, it's "fun".

76SuXOH.jpg

sVfgdRH.jpg

rspierenburg

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
It's showing that your screen is on approx. 75% percent of the time, this would eat battery power up for sure. What is your screen timeout set at?

Rob

Alter Poser

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
3 and a half hours on my phone and my screen is on 75% of the time? I don't really get that. But screen timeout is 30 sec but I always manually turn off my screen by habit.

calbrs04

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Either there is an app that's killing your phone, or you got a bad one that might need to be replaced. I would try to get it replaced.

Alter Poser

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Well how about this, can someone please screenshot the Power Management - Estimated batter time when they first unplug it from the charger at a 100%? How many hours is normal for it to say?

wfor1pilot

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
There is something way wrong w/ your phone: I get almost two days out of my Z3 w/ "active" use. I unplug my phone (6 A.M), use it all day and get home around 8:00 P.M. and it's still over 50 (if not 60)% ! I'd return it ASAP! -Davis

Alter Poser

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I went into Tmobile yesterday and they ran "diagnostics" and said everything was fine.

But here's a screenshot when I first unplugged. Gives me 22hr bat life estimation

Screenshot_2015-02-21-13-46-33.jpg

calbrs04

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
That 22 hours of battery life is usage time; phone calls, music, Internet, etc. Does not really take into account screen on time, usually between 5-7 hrs.
You should check the app power consumption in that menu to see if it is an app. After that I would turn off low power and stamina mode after a full charge and just use it as normal for a few days.

Alter Poser

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I've done all that already. No app is consuming my power, just the screen and I know that is completely normal. It was acting this was way when I first got the phone with standard app installed and already up to date. I updated installed apps, nothing changed.

I've done the option of taking it off stamina mode, and it lasted less than 10 hours with only 1 hr screen time and I only used to phone to check the time during work.

I keep getting the feeling that everyone is telling me to do all these special things to make the last longer than 15 hours but shouldn't this phone be able to do so much? Isn't this a powerful phone? It should be able to handle power users right? I feel like the only way I can get MAYBE get 22 hours is if I don't even touch the phone. What's the point in that?

I'm sorry if I sound frustrated but it's almost like no one believes me.. or it's just that I'm doing something silly. But I just want the phone that I payed for.

I'm going again into Tmobile on Tuesday to get it exchanged, I'll update if there's a difference in the bat life. but in the mean time if anyone has any questions about my phone, or wants more screenshots I'll be happy to share.

Thanks to everyone helping I really do appreciate it.

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I got my phone the same day as you and I'd say either something is wrong with the phone or you have a rouge app draining the battery.

A couple small things, is your screen brightness maxed out? How often is it checking for updates on email, Facebook and things like that? Do you have a solid signal or is it switching constantly between 4G Lte, 4G and 2g? You're phone appears to be rooted by the bottom icons, any chance something is running in the background you don't know about?

I'm getting 5+ hours of on-screen time very regularly. To me that falls into the category of really good battery life for a smartphone. I spent yesterday at legoland with my kids with 30% life and made it almost through the day. That was taking lots of pictures.

Sony Z3 via the Android Central App

Alter Poser

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
My screen is always on half. and with the adaption on. A few times in the evening I bump it to full but only if I know i'll be home and usually close to bed time so i know i'll charge it. Checking updates? pretty normal and only on WiFi. I keep my mobile data off because I only have one gig, use it on emergency mostly but since my carrier has a unlimited music streaming clause I took advantage of that twice for about 5 hrs during work, perfectly steady, never buffered. I don't know how to root. The first few screenshots are when I had a custom launcher, but since I reset the phone I haven't downloaded again. If I had an app the was consuming energy would that show up in the Battery usage menu? Is there another way to check?

rspierenburg

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
So just as a point of reference, I unplugged my phone about an hour ago its at 98%. Power management says that I should get 1day 10hours of use (not on stamina mode). My thought is that the only way you will know for sure if its the phone is to do a factory wipe and check again. But by everything you have said so far I concur that it would be the phone itself. In fact, looking over you screen grabs it shows that your screen is approx. 70% of your total discharge. Mine is usually more in the 40% range, less if I reduce the brightness.

Rob

There is a menu in power management calle App Power Consumption. It will tell you there if any apps are consuming more than usual amounts. But I figure you've already checked that.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463