Battery Life Rapidly Decreasing

Tmel14

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
Having been really impressive so far, my battery life appears to have dropped drastically over the last week or so. Previously my battery would comfortably last the whole day, I'd could even leave the house at the start of the day at about 60% and be confident it would easily last the whole day, now I leave the house on 100% and I'm down to 20-30% by the time I'm home from work. In particular, whenever I'm down to 14% my phone seems to drop pretty much instantly to 8% .

I can't think of anything I'm doing differently, only thing that comes to mind is I updated my phone via my computer a few weeks ago but no idea if that's connected to the problem. Only thing which is showing up as significant on Battery Usage is Screen at 46% , then just a bunch of apps around 9%.

Any ideas?

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Screen is typically the biggest draw on a battery, especially on devices with larger screens. If you haven't already, try installing an app such as Better Battery stats or GSAM Battery Monitor. Both apps tend to give you a better idea of what's using your battery over the stock battery app. Personally I prefer GSAM, but I haven't used Better Battery Stats in quite a while. After a few charge cycles you should have a better idea of what's eating up your battery.

One thing to keep in mind - typically when these apps report "Screen 46%", that means of whatever amount the battery has been used, 46% of that usage is due to the screen. For example let's say you check your usage when your battery is at 70%. That means 30% of your battery has been used, and of that 30% the screen used 46% of the amount that has been drained. It doesn't mean that your screen has used up 46% of your battery itself.

Once you've had a couple charge cycles with either of these apps, post screen shots back here with your top usage and someone will help you figure it out from there!

Tmel14

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
Screen is typically the biggest draw on a battery, especially on devices with larger screens. If you haven't already, try installing an app such as Better Battery stats or GSAM Battery Monitor. Both apps tend to give you a better idea of what's using your battery over the stock battery app. Personally I prefer GSAM, but I haven't used Better Battery Stats in quite a while. After a few charge cycles you should have a better idea of what's eating up your battery.

One thing to keep in mind - typically when these apps report "Screen 46%", that means of whatever amount the battery has been used, 46% of that usage is due to the screen. For example let's say you check your usage when your battery is at 70%. That means 30% of your battery has been used, and of that 30% the screen used 46% of the amount that has been drained. It doesn't mean that your screen has used up 46% of your battery itself.

Once you've had a couple charge cycles with either of these apps, post screen shots back here with your top usage and someone will help you figure it out from there!

Thanks, I have downloaded GSAM today and will report back when I have some stats :)

Tmel14

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
So having used GSAM for the best part of a week I haven't really been able to pinpoint where all my battery is going, my phone has continued to show a lot less battery capacity than before and also seems to be taking longer than usual to charge.

As expected Screen and App Usage are the main drain on the battery both tend to be somewhere in the 40%-55% region. The only thing which surprised me is that Facebook (which I don't excessively use) is pretty much always at the top of my app usage, often at about 20%-30% of the app usage. So I can uninstall and reinstall this to see if it helps but it doesn't really account for why my battery is dying so much quicker than before. I could also dim the screen a bit to help but I kind of don't feel like I should have to as I've never changed it the whole time I've had the phone so it shouldn't be a cause of why my batter has suddenly got worse.

Issemann

May 20, 2010
Visit site
So having used GSAM for the best part of a week I haven't really been able to pinpoint where all my battery is going, my phone has continued to show a lot less battery capacity than before and also seems to be taking longer than usual to charge.

As expected Screen and App Usage are the main drain on the battery both tend to be somewhere in the 40%-55% region. The only thing which surprised me is that Facebook (which I don't excessively use) is pretty much always at the top of my app usage, often at about 20%-30% of the app usage. So I can uninstall and reinstall this to see if it helps but it doesn't really account for why my battery is dying so much quicker than before. I could also dim the screen a bit to help but I kind of don't feel like I should have to as I've never changed it the whole time I've had the phone so it shouldn't be a cause of why my batter has suddenly got worse.

I have the Z3 Compact and noticed a big difference over the past week or so as well. I suspect it's the latest version of Google Play Services, but not 100% sure.