Why can't I transfer files from my laptop to my Sony Xperia Z3?

A

AC Question

Cannot transfer files from laptop to sony xperia z3

Hi, I have an HP laptop and a sony xperia Z3.
I am trying to transfer a number of media files and pdfs (some Spanish language learning software) from my laptop to my Z3 with a USB cable.
When I am in MTP mode on my phone, the files fail to transfer with the error message "cannot transfer files, either the phone has stopped working or has been disconnected".
I tried switching to MSC mode on my phone, but when I do this, the phone does not appear on my computer even though I can see that it is charging via the USB.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Jack

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Cannot transfer files from laptop to sony xperia z3

Welcome to Android Central! Does Windows Explorer otherwise see the phone normally? Can you use it to explore all of the user directories on the phone? Try using a different USB cable, or a different USB port on the computer. Make sure you're not plugged into a USB hub.

If you still can't transfer files, then use a wireless solution like AirDroid or Wi-fi File Explorer.

BenL

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Re: Cannot transfer files from laptop to sony xperia z3

Is your phone unlocked when you attempt to transfer? As a security measure, the phone won't let people access the phones files via a USB cable while it's locked.