Any reviews yet on the Z3v?

brybelle22

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Are there any decent reviews online yet? Have review models been made available to tech reviewers? I'm ready to get some insight on actual time with this model. We all know the specs, but I'm ready for some real life usage reviews.

eao1991

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I think review units have barely been shipped out. The first unboxing video was uploaded today on PhoneDog's YouTube channel. So more videos are likely coming out the next few days

Edit: looks like the unboxing video has been pulled. Guessing Sony still hasn't given the green light for sites to begin their Z3v coverage.

Sent from my LG G3

Last edited:

pchain

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I keep searching but haven't found any real reviews. I think the phone becomes available on 10/23 so reviews should be available a day it two before I'd imagine.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I saw the video before they pulled it, looked fairly nice even though it doesn't really look like a Z3, looks more like a phone that shares general design language with the Xperia Z-series.

It doesn't have the magnetic dock connector, but it does have Qi charging. Frankly my experience with Qi charging hasn't been wonderful, I'd rather see the magnetic dock connector.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I think review units have barely been shipped out. The first unboxing video was uploaded today on PhoneDog's YouTube channel. So more videos are likely coming out the next few days

Edit: looks like the unboxing video has been pulled. Guessing Sony still hasn't given the green light for sites to begin their Z3v coverage.

Sent from my LG G3

That unboxing and the associated story is still on PhoneDog's facebook page but when you click on it is says "file or directory not found".

Weird.

brybelle22

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site

Sent from my LG G3

Hopefully they'll repost soon.

anon(7743380)

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Can anyone confirm if what "mobileburn" is stating about the Z3V variant is accurate? I know about the big differences between the Z3 and Z3V but what about some of the smaller points, like the camera, screen, etc.

I would post link but as since this is my first post, not able to.

Site: mobileburn
Article: "Sony's Xperia Z3v is actually an Xperia Z2 variant"

Thanks!

eao1991

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone confirm if what "mobileburn" is stating about the Z3V variant is accurate? I know about the big differences between the Z3 and Z3V but what about some of the smaller points, like the camera, screen, etc.

I would post link but as since this is my first post, not able to.

Site: mobileburn
Article: "Sony's Xperia Z3v is actually an Xperia Z2 variant"

Thanks!

Yes, it's accurate. Though the screen is still a mystery, the consensus from most posts is that it's using the less battery efficient screen tech found in the Z2. The camera sensor is also the older one found in the Z2.

Sent from my LG G3

eao1991

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Tom's Hardware updated their hands-on and it looks like the display is indeed the older one from the Z2.

726d7fbf03bda13242a6a2e9993ab6cb.jpg

Sent from my LG G3

brybelle22

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Tom's Hardware updated their hands-on and it looks like the display is indeed the older one from the Z2.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/22/726d7fbf03bda13242a6a2e9993ab6cb.jpg

Sent from my LG G3

This phone is such a disappointment. I was so excited for the possibility of the Z3C, but had talked myself into being excited for the Z3v instead. Unfortunately, as I've learned more about this phone, I've pretty much taken it out of consideration for my next phone. I was ready to go non-contract the day the Z3C or Z3 was made available; pretty much decided on the Nexus 6 at this point. The capacitive buttons and the Verizon bloatwear are keeping me at bay with the Droid Turbo.

eao1991

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
This phone is such a disappointment. I was so excited for the possibility of the Z3C, but had talked myself into being excited for the Z3v instead. Unfortunately, as I've learned more about this phone, I've pretty much taken it out of consideration for my next phone. I was ready to go non-contract the day the Z3C or Z3 was made available; pretty much decided on the Nexus 6 at this point. The capacitive buttons and the Verizon bloatwear are keeping me at bay with the Droid Turbo.

Nexus 6 for me too. Not really a fan of what Sony/Verizon did with the Z3v.

Sent from my LG G3

anon(7743380)

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Word for word the exact same feeling man. Had my mind made up that this is what I was getting and then everything I read about it was a disappointment when compared to the Z3 Proper. N6 I guess for me as well.

therabbitssing

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I was bummed when I found out it had some Z2 parts and body, but after playing with it in the store, I took it home! It's a great phone, despite the changes.

pchain

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Yep... I've had it for 24 hours now. Awesome device. First full charge today I got 8 hrs 41 minutes screen time. I know every tech enthusiast is "disappointed" in this or that, (we do like analyzing everything to death you know) but taking the phone on its own merits this is a winner. I also happen to like the slab form factor. I'm convinced there is no way you would be able to tell a difference in the 805 vs the 801 in everyday usage. Its fast, it's smooth, not a single lag or glitch. The camera is absolutely great - and love the camera shutter key. My radio reception is consistently 4 dBm better than my Samsung's side by side. Probably not as good as Motorola radio/antenna hardware but definitely better than Samsung. Solid and stable WiFi connection. Earpiece sounds good to me from a landline. Overall a solid device. Unless you hate the slab factor, this is definitely something to be considered. Personally I was going to get the Turbo, but I really didn't want to give up my LED notifications so I got the Z3v instead. After a full day of use I'm glad I did.

richard_rsp

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
^ Congratulations! Glad you decided to pick one up!

And I completely agree with everything you said!

Posted via the Android Central App on my Xperia Z3V

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21