So who decided to stay with the Z3v?

richard_rsp

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I see quite a few of the people who got the Z3v decided to jump to the Droid Turbo instead. I thought about it, but realized I really like the Sony - better than any Android phone I've used.

Anyway, So who decided to stick with it?

Also, it's odd that I don't see this phone recommended more -it really is quite a good phone that has almost everything anyone could ask for (unless they are a spec junkie). I guess everyone feels like it's outdated since the standard Z3 has some updated parts. *shrug*

Posted via the Android Central App on my Xperia Z3V

pchain

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I have the Z3v and am definitely sticking with it. I actually had my eye on the Turbo for months before it was launched - I couldn't wait for it - wanted it really bad. In fact I told quite a few friends I was planning on getting the Turbo when it launched. But then I bumped into this Sony Z3v and totally fell in love. It also had the LED and the great camera and very importantly a GREAT battery.

You can't make a bad decision with either of these phones.... they are both great devices.

The thing that I'm most impressed with the Z3v is that I seem to be getting the same and sometimes better battery life than the Turbo as I'm reading all the reviews of people in the Turbo battery threads.

I happen to think that the Z3v is the most underrated, underestimated, unknown, misunderstood, misreported, and non-marketed devices this year and most likely that will continue well into next year since all the focus is on the Droid branding. But that's just me. :).

I did go and spend a lot of time with the Turbo and do feel it is an awesome device too. But unless something catastrophic happens, I won't be giving up my Z3v anytime soon. It has what I need and I honestly think it looks classy sleek and professional.

Last edited:

richard_rsp

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Wow! Very well said. I have also wondered about the battery life. I'm getting awesome on screen time which sometimes sounds like it's better than the Turbo.

I happen to think that the Z3v is the most underrated, underestimated, unknown, misunderstood, misreported, and non-marketed devices this year and most likely that will continue well into next year since all the focus is on the Droid branding. But that's just me.
... It has what I need and I honestly think it looks classy sleek and professional.
I 100% agree. I wish I could explain to people just how great this phone is, but I think people just see me as a FanBoy who doesn't know what good is. Truth is I've tried lots of phones on every OS (except Symbian) and this is one of the best phone I've used.

I just hope it sells enough that Sony and Verizon continue to support it.

pchain

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I wish I could explain to people just how great this phone is, but I think people just see me as a FanBoy who doesn't know what good is. Truth is I've tried lots of phones on every OS (except Symbian) and this is one of the best phone I've used.

Exactly my experience. It's kind of sad really. I'm not a fan boy of anything. I see pros and cons to every device and OS. The tech bloggers and reviewers have pretty much focused on what the Z3v isn't rather than what it is and have totally written it off. The general public who doesn't know anything follow suit, and as I have learned on several forums, many forum participants write the device off as well as my comments. I am totally comfortable having something different than the masses, but it does come at the small expense of social tech acceptance. Lol

therabbitssing

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I love mine. The Turbo is nice, and coming from my last 3 phones being Motos, I thought I would just pick up the Turbo. But the Sony phone is amazing. I'm happy.

Andrew Best1

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I can't decide which to get. I relly wish the Sony had better cases available. Has anyone seen any?
My main priority is the best camera I can get. I also really could have fun with the Sony under water. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

richard_rsp

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
There are only two cases I have seen so far - an Incipio 2 piece case (which provides pretty decent protection but is big and a bit slick to me) and a Verizon TPU case (which isn't pretty, but it is small enough and serves my purpose of providing some protection).

I too wish there were more options... I think it keeps some people from picking up this awesome phone!

Edit: I took a few pics of the cases compared to the Z3v and posted it over in the post about cases.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

pchain

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Over on XDA forum I found quite a few folks that exchanged the Turbo for a Z3v, citing better battery life and speaker quality as reasons.

therabbitssing

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm happy with the Z3v. I considered the Turbo having loved my Droid Maxx, but I'm glad I went with the Sony. It's battery life is terrific, the screen is great, the camera great, and that PS4 remote play is awesome. Add in the waterproofing and dustproofness of the phone and its a no brainer for me.

Wobblin30

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Just returned my Turbo last night for the Z3V. I went back and forth for day's but for me, the hype didn't live up to my expectations. My main reasons for returning the Turbo were the battery and camera. The Turbo battery was not as good as my G2, especially when sitting at idle. The camera was okay but comparable to the 14' X which is a shame. Motorola needs to work on their camera's.

As for the Z3V, I'm liking it so far. The skin isn't bad although I run Nova and the customizations are a nice touch. Verizon went overboard on the bloatware as usual. I'll give it the weekend to see how the battery and camera are but I have no regrets so far.

I went with the only case Verizon had, the black tpu. Looks awful on a white phone it will have to do for now. Hopefully someone like Diztonic will put out a something better down the road.

pchain

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Just returned my Turbo last night for the Z3V. I went back and forth for day's but for me, the hype didn't live up to my expectations. My main reasons for returning the Turbo were the battery and camera. The Turbo battery was not as good as my G2, especially when sitting at idle. The camera was okay but comparable to the 14' X which is a shame. Motorola needs to work on their camera's.

As for the Z3V, I'm liking it so far. The skin isn't bad although I run Nova and the customizations are a nice touch. Verizon went overboard on the bloatware as usual. I'll give it the weekend to see how the battery and camera are but I have no regrets so far.

I went with the only case Verizon had, the black tpu. Looks awful on a white phone it will have to do for now. Hopefully someone like Diztonic will put out a something better down the road.

Congrats on the new Z3v! There are so many good phones right now, its challenging to find the right one for you sometimes. I originally was going to get the Turbo but I bumped into the Z3v and was blown away by it.

I have been getting absolutely stellar battery life... Averaging between 8.5 - 9.5 hours of actual on screen time. I don't even have any battery saving modes enabled.

Like you I'm hoping for more case options. I did contact Diztronic and asked if they were going to make a case. Everyone wanting a case should go to their website open a ticket and request that they make a case. Just make sure you say Z3v and not Z3...most manufacturers haven't figured out there's a difference.

tsquare2112

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I returned the Turbo for the Z3v. I love the look af this phone. I've been wanting a phone that looks like this one for a long time. Nice straight lines, nice materials. I did pick up the incipio 2 piece case, and that's the same case I've had on my iPhone 6 and a couple of other phones. It's a shame to put this phone in a case and hide its beauty, but I feel one drop would do it in sice front and back are glass. All in all I am very pleased with it. The battery life is great, and the Sony skin is not too over the top.

Wano Fox

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
I have the Z3v and am definitely sticking with it. I actually had my eye on the Turbo for months before it was launched - I couldn't wait for it - wanted it really bad. In fact I told quite a few friends I was planning on getting the Turbo when it launched. But then I bumped into this Sony Z3v and totally fell in love. It also had the LED and the great camera and very importantly a GREAT battery.

You can't make a bad decision with either of these phones.... they are both great devices.

The thing that I'm most impressed with the Z3v is that I seem to be getting the same and sometimes better battery life than the Turbo as I'm reading all the reviews of people in the Turbo battery threads.

I happen to think that the Z3v is the most underrated, underestimated, unknown, misunderstood, misreported, and non-marketed devices this year and most likely that will continue well into next year since all the focus is on the Droid branding. But that's just me. :).

I did go and spend a lot of time with the Turbo and do feel it is an awesome device too. But unless something catastrophic happens, I won't be giving up my Z3v anytime soon. It has what I need and I honestly think it looks classy sleek and professional.

I am loving my z3v. Been wanting a sony for years since the z1. The last sony I had was the Orange and Black 580? Loved that little phone.

4truegrit

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Sold my iPhone 6 plus that I got on subsidized price so I could get the Sony Z3v. Just received it today got it for a great price brand new on Swappa. Loving it so far I have the white one. And I love the form factor. Very slippery though I initially almost dropped it when I went to use the camera for the first time. No cases for it, pretty much had to go with the Incipio Dual Pro from Verizon. Very good case .. Personally like the black on white look. And I've always liked the Incipio. I've had it on my note 3 and currently on my note 4 .. I would really like an OtterBox Commuter case for it though..still feels a little slick with the incipio. Wireless charging works with the Incipio on it.. connects easily to my Nokia wireless charger. I've always wanted a Sony phone never had one ..had to try it out. I have a sony tv and a Sony Vaio tap 20 .. I had been thinking about the turbo but based on all the reviews I've read and comments on users of both. Decided to go with the Sony and so far I am pleased.. Anyway I am still setting up. But I do notice. that 4g reception is actually better on it then my note4 .. sitting side by side. And playing Netflix on both at the same time I do notice the volume and sound on the Sony is richer more full bodied than the Samsung. Although the screen does look a tad better on the note 4.. Which was to be expected.

DJ Sandman

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Another Z3v keeper, although I previously had a Moto X Gen 2 and it was nearly flawless. I really liked the X, but it just got too hot and it doesn't mirrorcast. I returned it and then researched and tested pretty much all Verizon smartphones in the store this Fall. Honestly, you really can't go wrong with what's out there.

I tend to go for something that's off the beaten path... insert the Z3v. It may not be the ultimate phone, but it is a hidden gem that Verizon should have promoted more. Nice battery, nice camara, nice overall snappiness, decent screen, but it will show digitizer lines in the sun and angle views get dim a bit. And it is also a slippery phone, as I'll tell a funny story here shortly. I like the EQ settings and the output sound is decent. The Moto X's EQ didn't work at all and I hear that the Turbo's EQ doesn't work, either?!?

P.S. The SAR rating on the Z3v is pretty darn low as well... Head: .65 W/kg Body: 0.67 W/kg. And that funny story... the waterproofing feature works as advertised, as my "slippery phone" slipped out of my hand and landed right in my dog's water bowl last weekend lol.

Last edited:

Hemdroids

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
The Z3v is my first android phone, made the switch over from my iPhone 4s when I realized I wasn't making any use of any really specific Apple features. So far I love it, though I wish it was a little smaller. Really wanted the Z3c but of course Verizon wasn't getting that version. Hopefully the Z3v gets enough action that Verizon brings the next compact version along.

Really the only issue I've had with it so far is with the flap covering the charging port. I find that it pops open on its own sometimes, which can be dangerous if I'm taking it somewhere I want to go in a pool. Would be bad if it popped open when under water. Also the Remote Play has some issues, very laggy and disconnects me a lot.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I see quite a few of the people who got the Z3v decided to jump to the Droid Turbo instead. I thought about it, but realized I really like the Sony - better than any Android phone I've used.

Anyway, So who decided to stick with it?

Also, it's odd that I don't see this phone recommended more -it really is quite a good phone that has almost everything anyone could ask for (unless they are a spec junkie). I guess everyone feels like it's outdated since the standard Z3 has some updated parts. *shrug*

I definitely am looking at the z3v. Going to wait and see when lollipop hits since this is the first true high end sony on verizon, not sure how they will handle updates. I think lollipop will really enhance the already awesome parts of the z3v.

finoblitz

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
Has anybody had issues with their photos looking kind of grainy? When the phone is in camera mode it looks very poor, but when the pic is taken it looks better. Some of my photos look ok, some look grainy without detail. Could it be a defective phone?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams