Community Support

twon01

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site
Hello Everyone!

I have been trolling the forums reading all about the z3v for since it has come out. I am getting ready to use my upgrade to go from a Blackberry Z10 to a z3v. I am coming from a phone that has very little app support (the main reason i am switching) to an android phone. I have been a loyal BB fan since early 2000's and do not know anything about android (and know enough about iOS that I hate it). A few things that I am looking for in the phone: A great camera (which it has), great battery life (which it has), Work specific apps (I am in public safety and have several apps that I must be able to run while at work), Customization (i love some of the themes that you can download and install). So what this really all comes down to is this:

Will the z3v have the same community support as say the Turbo does? I am not talking about root, simply apps that are in the play store? Or am I buying another great phone that is not going to be able to do what I need it to in a year because no developers are supporting it?

Thank you for putting up with my long winded question!

Anthony

pchain

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Hello Everyone!

I have been trolling the forums reading all about the z3v for since it has come out. I am getting ready to use my upgrade to go from a Blackberry Z10 to a z3v. I am coming from a phone that has very little app support (the main reason i am switching) to an android phone. I have been a loyal BB fan since early 2000's and do not know anything about android (and know enough about iOS that I hate it). A few things that I am looking for in the phone: A great camera (which it has), great battery life (which it has), Work specific apps (I am in public safety and have several apps that I must be able to run while at work), Customization (i love some of the themes that you can download and install). So what this really all comes down to is this:

Will the z3v have the same community support as say the Turbo does? I am not talking about root, simply apps that are in the play store? Or am I buying another great phone that is not going to be able to do what I need it to in a year because no developers are supporting it?

Thank you for putting up with my long winded question!

Anthony
First of all I'd like to welcome you to Android! I'm actually a long term Blackberry user myself, but made the change 3 years ago.

Let me assure you that you really have nothing to worry about. Developers create apps for Android, so any phone that runs Android should be able to run the apps developed for it. There are standards that app developers must meet in order for their apps to be allowed in Google Play app store. While there may be some differences between phones most developers have tested multitude of devices, and if not they can be contacted directly.

As it relates to the Z3v, it is basically running stock Android with a very light UI over the top, so nothing out of the ordinary for a developer to worry about.

When I made the switch to Android, I was amazed at why it took me so long to do so. There's no comparison for the level of support from other android users in forums like this etc. I don't miss BB at all any more. Android just offers so much more. I'm sure you'll feel the same in short order.

And regarding the Z3v, it's an unbelievable device that hasn't given me one glitch or lag or app issue since launch day. You should feel confident in making it your first Android device. I don't have any hesitation recommending it.

Roy Droid

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. No need to worry about developer support for Android and the Z3V will definitely get Android 5.0 Lollipop in the near future. Plus, there's a BBM app for Android. Since you're new to Android, I recommend reading some articles on switching from Blackberry to Android.