Anybody have the Air Dock? A wireless charging car mount.

Roy Droid

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Happy Thanksgiving Everybody! Anybody have this? The Air Dock
Looks real interesting!
sony-057_large.png
20141123154056-Banner-Gif2_compressed.gif

Last edited:

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
What is the charging rate on these? Isn't it 640mA? If that is the case then the charge rate couldn't even keep up with battery drain while using gps.

Sent from my Samsung GALAXY Note Edge on AT&T

Roy Droid

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
What is the charging rate on these?
I'm not sure, but the original version required a 2 amp power supply so I'm assuming the newer version will require at least 2 amps. Will that be enough to charge during heavy use? I don't know, but here's a quote from Android Central's first look, "If you use — and I mean really use — your phone in the car, for navigation, or phone calls, or as a music player or to entertain the passenger with a video or two, this is what you need." First look: The Air Dock wireless charger | Android Central

xeene

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
All that driving with GPS and streaming music doesn't drain as much energy as playing graphics intensive games.

Rival knights from gameloft will drain my phone from full to empty in about 4 hours. At the same time I can be driving with GPS and streaming audio for 5-6 hours.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
All I know is that with my S4 using an inductive charger at 640mA driving from GA to FL the battery was still draining.

Sent from my Samsung GALAXY Note Edge on AT&T

Antony Cha

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I own the original kickstarter one and I stand behind the product (minus the price, LOL). I was using it with my Nexus 5 up until I got my Nexus 6. Here's my quick review...

Works well with any non-rubberized case TPU included. I use Ringke slim cases and the Nexus 5 stuck like it was glued on. I did have to clean the sticky foam every once in a while but sticky foam + magnets = really awesome!

Charging was great too. Using Google Maps my battery would charge albeit a little slower than using a plugged charger but it charged. I use Pandora in conjunction with Maps and while positioning does play a part in good Qi charging it was fine. Waze on the other hand was a little wonky, I had to have the positioning just right to charge. I'd say I got it right 60% of the time.

Needless to say I was disappointed when I tried the rounded back Nexus 6. The size of the phone, the irregular placement of the Qi receiver, and the rounded back didn't like the Air Dock 1.0.

The downsides I've noticed are:
The phone tends to get hot, not burning hot but enough for me to notice. This is usually when I'm using Maps/Waze. Then there is the sticky foam, I had to clean it at least once a week, to the Air Docks side I do smoke and I'm sure my car is insanely dusty. LOL

I'm using this right now:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M685JNW...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4101925
But I've ordered an Air Dock 2.0 anyway.

If you are worried about the charging I would recommend hitting up the guys making the Air Dock, they have been super responsive to my emails and my experience has been overwhelmingly positive. I can't say enough good things about the product.

I hope this helps!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

DMarie04

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
I own the original kickstarter one and I stand behind the product (minus the price, LOL). I was using it with my Nexus 5 up until I got my Nexus 6. Here's my quick review...

Works well with any non-rubberized case TPU included. I use Ringke slim cases and the Nexus 5 stuck like it was glued on. I did have to clean the sticky foam every once in a while but sticky foam + magnets = really awesome!

Charging was great too. Using Google Maps my battery would charge albeit a little slower than using a plugged charger but it charged. I use Pandora in conjunction with Maps and while positioning does play a part in good Qi charging it was fine. Waze on the other hand was a little wonky, I had to have the positioning just right to charge. I'd say I got it right 60% of the time.

Needless to say I was disappointed when I tried the rounded back Nexus 6. The size of the phone, the irregular placement of the Qi receiver, and the rounded back didn't like the Air Dock 1.0.

The downsides I've noticed are:
The phone tends to get hot, not burning hot but enough for me to notice. This is usually when I'm using Maps/Waze. Then there is the sticky foam, I had to clean it at least once a week, to the Air Docks side I do smoke and I'm sure my car is insanely dusty. LOL

I'm using this right now:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M685JNW...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4216303
But I've ordered an Air Dock 2.0 anyway.

If you are worried about the charging I would recommend hitting up the guys making the Air Dock, they have been super responsive to my emails and my experience has been overwhelmingly positive. I can't say enough good things about the product.

I hope this helps!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Would the AIRDOCK adhere to the Samsung Sview Wireless QI Charging case? I watched the video & saw the magnetic stickers but they won't be an option since it's a flip case & has to be folded back. I've also heard conflicting info. About the types of case materials it'll work with. What's a few good Cass choice that would definitely work with the Airdock? Thanks

Posted From MY Next Big Thing!!

DMarie04

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi, has anyone tried the TYLT QI VU Mount , I read in a review that its pretty big! If you're using it, what's your opinion on the size of the TYLT compared to other docks you may have had?

Roy Droid

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Our phones are perfect for the Air Dock! Testing at home before installing it in the car, but so far it charges through the case and holds on super strong. Sorry for the crappy ipod photos.
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG

BorisDDS

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
The Air Dock 2.0 doesn’t leave up to its hype. The phone with a very thin TPU case would not stay on securely. Every little bump on the road and the phone is flying off. The Small Magnetic Sticker that is placed on the back of the phone has 4 tiny about dime size metal disks. That doesn’t provide enough magnetic attraction to hold the phone securely, So the company realized and added a stickiness to the surface of the dock itself. Trust me it doesn’t work.

xeene

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
My air dock doesn't use magnets. It uses suction base and it holds very good. I do have to wipe the surface of my dock and phone every few months with alcohol wipe and it's like new.

HonestTruth

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
Yes. I have owned two.

The charging port on the first dock became loose. When I politely asked the company to stand behind their product, they said no. They did offer a 50% discount if I bought a new one (which should give you some sense of how enormous their markup is). I did buy a new one.

The entire front face of the new one came completely off the frame within 30 seconds of un-boxing. When I politely asked the company to stand behind their product, they said sure - but I would have to pay to return it to them. I declined on general principle. Why should I have to pay to return their defective product? When I asked them to reconsider, they did not bother to respond.

My overall impression is that this is a mediocre product that is easily damaged and rendered useless, and the customer service is three feet below the bottom of the barrel.

Find an alternative on Amazon.

Antony Cha

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Would the AIRDOCK adhere to the Samsung Sview Wireless QI Charging case? I watched the video & saw the magnetic stickers but they won't be an option since it's a flip case & has to be folded back. I've also heard conflicting info. About the types of case materials it'll work with. What's a few good Cass choice that would definitely work with the Airdock? Thanks

I know this is super late and I apologize been preparing for getting married next week and work has been uber stupid.

In my experience stick to hard gloss style cases. Anything with silicon/rubber/TPU doesn't stick right. I've had little success with silicon slip cases and the airdock. TPU kind of works but is still unstable.

I've had the best luck with the cheaper cases that don't offer any rubber like coverings. I also recommend keeping several alcohol wipes or a lint free cloth and water in the car. I live in an area with much dust and pollen and I'm constantly having to clean the sticky foam.

Would I buy another now? after buying two of them and having 6 phones spread in between the purchases of the airdock I don't think I will. Mainly for one big reason, charging. The phones charge well enough and the convenience factor is decent with the AirDock but using devices with Qualcomm Quick Charge (QC) 2.0/3.0 I'd rather have my phone be charged in a short amount of time than have the convenience of sticking it on and charging slower. Interestingly enough, if you are a DIY fan, I've read some posts on other forums where people are DIY'ing their own style airdock but using the Samsung version of QC. If I had the time I'd do it myself but alas time is something I don't have very much of lately. :/

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000