Sony Z5 compact: overheating

Kins69

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
I was very excited at the idea of buying the Z5 compact to replace my iPhone 5s. I had been wanting for a while to get out of the Apple environment for several reasons, but I also don't want a phone larger than 5".

As a result, the Z5 Compact seemed the most natural choice to make. I had read about the overheating issues of the processor that Sony chose to equip the smartphone, but all the hands on reviews that I read before buying it mentioned that the phone remained within acceptable temperatures.

Well, let me tell you that the one that I bought yesterday get hot, and gets hot fast. Within 10 minutes of using it, while I was just setting it up a couple of email accounts and downloading a few apps, the phone got so hot that it made my hands sweat (and you don't want that with this phone as it's back is quite slippery even with dry hands...)

I tried to get familiar to it for 24 hours, but no matter what I do (and so far I haven't even done anything heavy on it), within 5 to 10 minutes the phone gets hot (and I do mean hot, not just warm)

So that's it, on Monday it'll go back to the shop where I bought it, which moreover does not offer full refund but just a voucher of the value of the phone...

I'm kicking myself for believing all these hands on reviews and being just too optimistic...

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I would suggest a factory reset and re-setup the device. Keep in mind that downloading apps, even a few but large sized apps, over mobile network or a strained WiFi network could cause it to heat up. I don't think it's going to get as hot as described, so it's worth a try to reset it and see if that fixes any underlying software issues running in the background when it shouldn't have.

Let us know how it goes.

Kins69

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
The phone is brand new and just came from the factory and you're suggesting a factory reset to solve the overheating issues? I'm sorry but that just can't be right :confused: How will installing everything again, in a similar manner as the first time, change anything?

Sorry if it's a dumb question, I'm just new to the Android world (although I did give it a try a while back with a Galaxy S4, which I abandoned after a week)

lindseybp

May 7, 2010
Visit site
phone arena reporting same issue from other users. That snapdragon 810, regardless of version, just seems to be a disaster. Bad move by Sony to use it. Should have gone with 808.

yubeie

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
sorry about your experience.. i was so looking forward to this device.. i think I'll give up and wait for z6..good luck!

AC@OPO

warmonked

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
The phone is brand new and just came from the factory and you're suggesting a factory reset to solve the overheating issues? I'm sorry but that just can't be right :confused: How will installing everything again, in a similar manner as the first time, change anything?

Sorry if it's a dumb question, I'm just new to the Android world (although I did give it a try a while back with a Galaxy S4, which I abandoned after a week)

"Do a factory reset" is the default answer in every android problem thread. This is the first time I've heard someone suggest a factory reset on an out of the box, new device though.

Kins69

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
"Do a factory reset" is the default answer in every android problem thread. This is the first time I've heard someone suggest a factory reset on an out of the box, new device though.

Haha ok thanks, so I'm not totally crazy :) I'm going to return the phone this week, too bad I don't get money back but only a voucher...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lindseybp

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm waiting on the z6c. My z3c is running great and will get marshmallow so I'm good.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Actually they are threatening to leave the phone biz if sales aren't good this year..but we've heard that before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roerisi

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
I found the fix for the Acting Weird and the Overheating for the our Xperia Z5c, You need to perform a simple step, if you go on settings option and activated developer and go to the item by deactivating FORCE MSAA 4X the telephone to 100% will not suffer...
The big solution......
OR
Everything must be disabled

Last edited:

laxu

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
It's pretty common for phones to get hot when downloading all your apps. After that it's usually not that bad.

That said, today I sent my Z5 Compact back. I didn't like that it got noticeably warm during everyday tasks like web browsing. Basically if the phone was used to do anything for about 20 minutes then it got warm from the back and from the touchscreen. It didn't seem to even perform any better than my old Galaxy S4, just ran hotter.