Android Nougat on the Z5 Compact

Slipthejab

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
Anyone else here got android Nougat up and going on their Z5C?

I know Sony have retracted their roll out of it but I flashed the official Australian custom firmware yesterday and it works with seemingly no issues so far.

Anyone else tried it and had it run well/not so well?

Will report on battery life after I've used it for a full charge without reinstalling a backup/updating apps.

Slipthejab

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
After a few days use I can say the battery life is definitely worse than it was on marshmallow.
They new firmware they began pushing out yesterday has solved the 3rd party music player issue a lot had but photos in the gallery are still slow to load and battery life isn't great. Hopefully they fix that up.

Other than that, nougat is a very worthy upgrade on what was already a fantastic phone.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I got the update today... It took forever but so far it appears to be working well.. Will report back on my battery life after a few days..

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
After 2 days on 7.0 I am not seeing the battery issues that you are. Mine is about the same the best I can tell. I'll keep monitoring it though..

Slipthejab

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
The battery issues for me seem to stem from the 'phone idle' using more than I believe it should be. After the screen, it's always the 2nd biggest battery consumer as per the battery info in the settings.
I updated my Z4 tablet to nougat on the weekend and the issue seems to be prevalent on it also.

How about the gallery sluggishness? Do you find your photos take longer to load than they did on marshmallow?

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Here is mine from today's usage.. I only had one hour of screen on time but it only used 20% battery. I do have screen brightness set to MAX.... Phone Idle is high but it's not killing my battery... Based on today's one hour of screen on time and 20% used, I'd get about 5 hours of screen on time at that rate which is pretty darn good considering I have brightness set to max..

I have not noticed any gallary lag but I use Google Photos.. You might want to try a factory reset...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170220-203411.png
    Screenshot_20170220-203411.png
    85 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20170220-203452.png
    Screenshot_20170220-203452.png
    59.4 KB · Views: 11

Slipthejab

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
Great, thanks for your input.

I have done a factory reset but you're correct, the google photos app doesn't lag. Hope they fix the Sony gallery app as I much prefer it.

Battery life still seems a bit worse on nougat than marshmallow to me and I hope they sort that.

Slipthejab

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
A couple of months later and I can say with the last update everything has improved except for the gallery.
Battery life is going swell and performance is the quickest I've seen it. I was able to benchmark regularly just over 2000 on the slingshot extreme benchmark in 3dmark.

Just wish they'd sort out the Sony album as I am use to it.

Slipthejab

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
Anyone here updated to Android 7.1.1?

Any experiences to share thus far?

I'm getting a few app crashes but nothing too bad. Security patch is now June 1st.