Transfering all data from non-functional Z5 to a brand new Z5 advice needed

Michael Trenton

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
Hi there,
So, a week ago I accidentally dropped my Z5 Compact from a height and the screen got smashed. The phone itself still works, but the screen is so ruined I can't operate the phone using the touchscreen at all.
So, due to repairs costing almost as much as a buying a brand new Z5 what I'm hoping to do is buying a new Z5 Compact and then 'clone' a system image or transfer all my data (text messages and photos/videos mainly) from my smashed up Z5 to the new one.
Now with the screen being smashed up I'm unable to operate the phone apart from turning it on so my question is whether such a transfer of data is possible and if it is what is the best way to go about it? I assume I'm gonna need some sort of software for Windows so that I can connect my old phone through USB cable and then somehow transfer a system image or data backup to my computer and then transfer that onto the new phone?
What would be the recommended way to go about this?

Any advice would be much appreciated. :)

Michael Trenton

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
See A quick guide to accessing a locked phone with a cracked screen. If you can't do that, you can't access the files (which is why ALL important files should ALWAYS be backed up).

Thank you for your reply. I read through your link and in that particular case the screen was apparently completely dead, unlike mine where I can actually see what's on the screen only it doesn't respond to touch at all. So in my case I should then most likely be able to connect a USB mouse through the phone's port and thus be able to operate my phone using the mouse is that right?
(I assume I'm gonna have to buy a mouse dedicated to the task or will a regular USB mouse with some sort of adapter work fine?)

And yes I completely agree with you on the importance of backing up important files. Usually I tend to have quite good routines on backing up my computer and memory cards from camera and smartphone. Unfortunately I didn't pay enough attention to the importance of backing up text messages, messages containing photos etc. Needless to say I'm not gonna repeat that mistake again and implement a good routine for backing up my entire phone in the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC