Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Mayor of Awesometown

Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Jelly Bean

Default Saw Sony's price today for the ZL unlocked: $759.99

Checked their US website today and saw they finally put a price. Ugh. I was really hoping this would be under $600. Yes that would be a good deal for what's in this phone, but I thought Sony would be aggressive to gain some traction here. If you get a Sony credit card when you buy it you get a $100 credit, but that's still $659.99. The HTC One developer edition is going to be priced at $649, so to me $760 seems high for the ZL.
    JT
    Nexus 5, Nexus 7 LTE, Sony Xperia Z1 Compact
    AT&T, T-Mobile

Global Posts
    1,776 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

Default Re: Saw Sony's price today for the ZL unlocked: $759.99

Quote Originally Posted by jeffreytz View Post
    Checked their US website today and saw they finally put a price. Ugh. I was really hoping this would be under $600. Yes that would be a good deal for what's in this phone, but I thought Sony would be aggressive to gain some traction here. If you get a Sony credit card when you buy it you get a $100 credit, but that's still $659.99. The HTC One developer edition is going to be priced at $649, so to me $760 seems high for the ZL.

That's a very steep price for any phone... wow.
    If my post helped you out...PLEASE be kind and hit the THANKS button.

Global Posts
    156 Global Posts

Holy cow that is expensive! Thanks for the head's up on the price (Sony hasn't notified me yet of the price being announced).

I agree that is way too steep for this phone. I was hoping at the worst low $600s. Guess I won't be checking out this phone when it comes out here.
    Get rid of all the randomness in the world and you will have a world without hamsters.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    Mayor of Awesometown

Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Jelly Bean

Not sure if this means anything, but today on the store.sony.com website the price has been removed and it just says "coming soon". Maybe it was a mistake
    JT
    AT&T, T-Mobile

Global Posts
    156 Global Posts

Oh Sony, you big tease you.

That would explain why Sony never sent out an e-mail saying that the price was announced.

Seriously hoping they reprice it to $449.99 like the TL, but doubting it.
    Get rid of all the randomness in the world and you will have a world without hamsters.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    Mayor of Awesometown

Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Jelly Bean

So it's up for pre-order on Store.Sony.com, ships in two weeks, still has that insane $759.99 price tag. I wanted one of these, but there's no way I'm paying that.
    JT
    AT&T, T-Mobile

Global Posts
    156 Global Posts

Same as you. Was tempted to give Sony a try but will just wait for the price to drop way down before looking (or by then probably looking at another manufacturer). Makes me wonder if the US Carriers are screwing with them thus the price tag.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  
    Mayor of Awesometown

Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Jelly Bean

So I did end up placing an order for a Red ZL today with shopblt.com, they have it at $574.74 delivered so I figured it was worth a shot. They don't charge until shipped so we'll see what happens. Under $600 has always been my price point. If you're interested here's the link (hope this isn't a violation of the forum guidelines).
    JT
    AT&T, T-Mobile

Global Posts
    156 Global Posts

Hmm, tempting at that price. I did want to see it in person before buying it, but that much of a discount might make me get it sight unseen.
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,582 Global Posts

Sounds in-line with "normal" full-retail pricing for similar phones.
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts

So I did end up placing an order for a Red ZL today with shopblt.com, they have it at $574.74 delivered so I figured it was worth a shot. They don't charge until shipped so we'll see what happens. Under $600 has always been my price point. If you're interested here's the link (hope this isn't a violation of the forum guidelines).
    I ordered a Black ZL from them today. it had an estimated ship date of 4/12. Just like you my limit was $600 so this was perfect. My only fear is with the SD Card cover. I hope it closes tight and it flush with the back.
    Last edited by rkgriffin; 03-28-2013 at 06:21 AM.

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts

Just got a confirmation email from shopblt.com that my black Xperia ZL has shipped to me. Shocking since it had an eta of 4/12.

There are a bunch of them on eBay (both the Z and ZL) from what looks to be reputable sellers for much lower. They apparently have stock and are ready to ship. I was thinking about pulling the trigger on one.

These are "Buy it Now" listings from US sellers for the Z and ZL:

xperia z in Cell Phones & Smartphones | eBay

xperia zl in Cell Phones & Smartphones | eBay

I saw the comparison between the Z and ZL but what's the real differences that we would see in normal day to day use?

Global Posts
    156 Global Posts

If you are buying one of these off of eBay might want to check to make sure that good deal has the USA LTE bands if that matters to you.

So after debating wanting to see one in person before buying, I went and ordered a black one since they are the only ones will in stock. Wanted the red but don't really care at this time.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  
    Mayor of Awesometown

Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Jelly Bean

Quote Originally Posted by rkgriffin View Post
    Just got a confirmation email from shopblt.com that my black Xperia ZL has shipped to me. Shocking since it had an eta of 4/12.
    Wow that's awesome. I got a note from them that they they expect the red model to be in stock 4/22, so a way's to go for me still
    JT
    AT&T, T-Mobile
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  
    Mayor of Awesometown

Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Jelly Bean

Quote Originally Posted by scorpiodsu View Post
    I saw the comparison between the Z and ZL but what's the real differences that we would see in normal day to day use?
    For me it's a couple of things - I've had a Nexus 4 since November and while I really like it, the glass back is a pain in the ***, it slides off everything and gets little scratches that aren't really that noticeable, but I know they're there. So I'm not really interested in another phone with a glass back. Also I use my phone a lot for taking pictures and the shutter button is something I really liked about the ZL design. Lastly I like the compact dimensions of the ZL compared to the Z, and I'm tired of "black slabs" and wanted something "different", so the Red model option really appealed to me.

Update: just realized you probably meant functionally from a software/operational standpoint - as far as I know the Z and ZL should work exactly the same, processor and memory-wise they're identical. The ZL does give you the IR blaster as well, but one shouldn't be faster than the other.
    JT
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Thanked by:

For me it's a couple of things - I've had a Nexus 4 since November and while I really like it, the glass back is a pain in the ***, it slides off everything and gets little scratches that aren't really that noticeable, but I know they're there. So I'm not really interested in another phone with a glass back. Also I use my phone a lot for taking pictures and the shutter button is something I really liked about the ZL design. Lastly I like the compact dimensions of the ZL compared to the Z, and I'm tired of "black slabs" and wanted something "different", so the Red model option really appealed to me.

Update: just realized you probably meant functionally from a software/operational standpoint - as far as I know the Z and ZL should work exactly the same, processor and memory-wise they're identical. The ZL does give you the IR blaster as well, but one shouldn't be faster than the other.
    Thanks for the info. I think I may go with the Z but still not sure. I'm also using a Nexus 4 at the moment and I really like it but I got the "itch" for another device. I like getting devices that a lot of people don't know use around me. Of course I hope the Z line catches on but now everyone I knows is either using a SGS3 or an iPhone.
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini

The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts

My Xperia ZL just got delivered. I am also coming from a Nexus 4. Very quick first impressions... I love the backing and the SD card cover seems very flush. Way better than the glass on the Nexus. It does feel a little warm but I am busy downloading all my apps. It isn't connecting to my 5Ghz wireless so running on 2.4Ghz right now. The ZL's touch vibration is a lot more harsh than the Nexus so I had to turn it off. But that might be better for notifications since I never felt the Nexus vibration when a call comes in. Haven't done much else yet. Actually need to go insert my SIM still.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  
    Mayor of Awesometown

Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Jelly Bean

Great let us know your thoughts after a few days. Also if you're using T-Mo or AT&T how's the LTE?
    JT
    AT&T, T-Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by rkgriffin View Post
    I ordered a Black ZL from them today. it had an estimated ship date of 4/12. Just like you my limit was $600 so this was perfect. My only fear is with the SD Card cover. I hope it closes tight and it flush with the back.
    Can now buy the ZL on Amazon and Ebay for around $575
    And, I'm thrilled to know that it will accept a 64 GB MicroUSB card. You just have to reformat it to FAT32 in one easy step on the phone. See link for instructions:

3 reasons I'm getting this over the HTC One: A) Cheaper B) Camera Shutter button C) MicroSD card support D)Available now

Amazon.com: Sony Xperia ZL C6502 Black 3G Factory Unlocked - International Version phone UMTS/HSPA Bands 1/2/4/5/8: Cell Phones & Accessories
    Sony Xperia ZL C6502 Black Factory Unlocked 13MP Snapdragon S4 Pro 5" HD 3G | eBay

Formatting 64 GB Micro SD card
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  
    Mayor of Awesometown

Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Jelly Bean

Quote Originally Posted by just.garet View Post
    Can now buy the ZL on Amazon and Ebay for around $575
    Be careful you're getting exactly what you want, though - the ZL's I currently see on Amazon are not C6506 models (with US LTE bands), they're CS6502s. If that's what you want, then go for it
    JT
    AT&T, T-Mobile

Global Posts
    156 Global Posts

If you're on AT&T I would highly suggest getting the C6506 model. I really appreciate that they have the LTE radios in it.