LavallavaL

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Probably depends on carrier. I'm with Bell, and I'm still at 4.1.2, and I honestly don't feel a need for an Android update so far. I wish Sony would update the Walkman software to add a folder browsing capacity on the phone itself, but otherwise, I'm happy as a clam.

zerospace-net

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
It isn't OTA, it's via the PC Companion software right now for what seems to be all factory unlocked ZL versions (6502, 6503, 6506). But, I think Bell is one of a very few carrier-branded versions of the ZL, so of course it's going to be up to them when this version is released ;).

canucks4life

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
*sniff*...I bought an unlocked Bell C6506 off Craigslist...just updated PC companion and plugged in...yup no 4.2 yet for me...oh well not a huge deal would be nice to eventually get some lock screen widgets.

kojisan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey Canucks,

Dont mean to hi-jack the thread but curious what network you're on. I'm with Rogers but am looking at getting a Bell locked ZL and unlock it.
You have not problems with your unlocked phone?

canucks4life

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm actually on Telus and works great...Bell model (C6506) is pentaband so it should work on Rogers EDGE and LTE Band4/1700MHz no problem but not sure about Rogers LTE max or whatever it is called you might need to get C6503 model which supports LTE Band7/2600MHz.

Anyways label on my C6506 box lists GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900 & UMTS/HSPA Bands 1/2/4/5/8 & LTE Bands 1/2/4/5/17

I was pretty sure Bell (C6506) model would work no problem on Telus since they both share the same network but also used the below site to make sure it had correct LTE frequency:

List of LTE networks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sony Xperia ZL - Full phone specifications

Hey Canucks,

Dont mean to hi-jack the thread but curious what network you're on. I'm with Rogers but am looking at getting a Bell locked ZL and unlock it.
You have not problems with your unlocked phone?

jeffreytz

Mayor of Awesometown
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
So I upgraded my unlocked red C6506 last night via the Sony PC Companion app and it was a pretty painless update. I usually hate vendor PC phone tools but the Sony one is very nice and has a few other features I plan to try out.

Anyway I now have my DashClock lockscreen widget back that I was missing from my Nexus 4. Sony's 4.2.2 implementation is very nice, I really like the ability to pick n' chose which "quick settings" show up in the notification panel and being able to put them in whatever order I choose.

My big fear with upgrading to 4.2.2 was regarding the Bluetooth stack - on my Nexus 4 there's a huge problem with Google's Bluetooth implementation where if I have my Pebble watch connected to the phone I can't reliably connect any of my Bluetooth headsets (Jawbone Era, Motorola S9 HD). I don't know if Sony is using their own BT stack or stock Android, but so far I'm not having any issues with Bluetooth on the ZL with 4.2.2, so that's a big relief.

I haven't spent a whole lot of time digging through the Settings menus but overall I haven't noticed too much else that's new. I did order a USB adaptor so I can hook up one of my PlayStation DualShock 3 controllers to the ZL, interested in seeing how that works. I also turned on the MyXperia device locator and tested it out, works perfectly.

One thing I'm having trouble with is figuring out how to set colors for the different calendars I have (Google, Exchange, HaxSync/FB Birthdays). HaxSync has its own setting and it seems to work on the Calendar widget, showing FB birthdays in blue, but when I go into the Calendar app those entries are the same color as Exchange (yellow). I can't find any color settings in the Calendar app itself. My Google calendar entries are showing up with a red tag. I'm sure this is somewhere obvious, if anyone can help out there I'd appreciate it.

Here are some 4.2.2 screenshots from my phone:

DashClock widget
2013-06-26%2011.20.21%20%28Small%29.jpg

DashClock widget expanded
2013-06-26%2011.20.44%20%28Small%29.png

Notification Panel with additional Quick Settings
2013-06-26%2011.22.38%20%28Small%29.png

Desktop showing transparent top/bottom panels
2013-06-26%2011.23.09%20%28Small%29.png

Last edited:

jeffreytz

Mayor of Awesometown
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed the ZL being a little sluggish after installing 4.2.2? I now have some serious lag at times when scrolling through home screens, the app drawer, etc. I had the same thing when I upgraded to 4.2.2 on my Nexus 4, it's like they broke Project Butter with this release.

LavallavaL

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
No joy yet. Had an online chat with my carrier's customer service, they have no clue. Then, I called my carrier's customer service, they also had no clue. Got transfered to tech support, still no joy.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo