Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Failed to update my Sony Xperia ZL ota

    Hi.. Im sorry if there were post b4 this on the same title...

    Here my question...
    Just purchased a 2nd hand unit Xperia ZL C6502.. Set in tip top condition n function. After 24hrs using it and install AVG anti virus, this apps suddenly detect that my device already rooted n advice me to go back to original set up.. No wonder i'm failed to update my ZL with latest 4.3 OTA...
    Full Unroot via SuperSU n check the bootloader still locked..
    Try again update via OTA but still failed to install.. Not yet try update via Sony PC Companion.
    Question here, why im having difficulties to update my ZL via OTA?

    Thank you...
  2. #2  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    19,442 Posts
    Global Posts
    19,859 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: Failed to update my Sony Xperia ZL ota

    Quote Originally Posted by jeff zen View Post
    Hi.. Im sorry if there were post b4 this on the same title...

    Here my question...
    Just purchased a 2nd hand unit Xperia ZL C6502.. Set in tip top condition n function. After 24hrs using it and install AVG anti virus, this apps suddenly detect that my device already rooted n advice me to go back to original set up.. No wonder i'm failed to update my ZL with latest 4.3 OTA...
    Full Unroot via SuperSU n check the bootloader still locked..
    Try again update via OTA but still failed to install.. Not yet try update via Sony PC Companion.
    Question here, why im having difficulties to update my ZL via OTA?

    Thank you...
    If a custom recovery was installed (Most of the time they are when rooting) that can be another factor in stopping an OTA. You may have to reflash a stock ROM in order to get it.

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Failed to update my Sony Xperia ZL ota

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    If a custom recovery was installed (Most of the time they are when rooting) that can be another factor in stopping an OTA. You may have to reflash a stock ROM in order to get it.
    Can I just update my ZL to JB4.3 via PC Companion? If yes.. This means my device will be back with stock OS right? Hope I can update my ZL via PCC as I dont know much about custom recovery..

    To do full unroot b4 I refer with Mr Google haha...

    Pls reply ASAP bout updating my device with PCC as im failed to update via OTA..

    Tq
  4. #4  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    19,442 Posts
    Global Posts
    19,859 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: Failed to update my Sony Xperia ZL ota

    Quote Originally Posted by jeff zen View Post
    Can I just update my ZL to JB4.3 via PC Companion? If yes.. This means my device will be back with stock OS right? Hope I can update my ZL via PCC as I dont know much about custom recovery..

    To do full unroot b4 I refer with Mr Google haha...

    Pls reply ASAP bout updating my device with PCC as im failed to update via OTA..

    Tq
    Unfortunately, I am not very proficient with Sonys. You might be able to flash the ROM with the PC companion, but I am not sure.

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Failed to update my Sony Xperia ZL ota

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    If a custom recovery was installed (Most of the time they are when rooting) that can be another factor in stopping an OTA. You may have to reflash a stock ROM in order to get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Unfortunately, I am not very proficient with Sonys. You might be able to flash the ROM with the PC companion, but I am not sure.
    I do check my device via Rom Manager and theres no Custom Recovery install.. So this means my device just have been rooted only b4 this without unlocking the bootloader or installed custom rom recovery.. And ive full unroot my device via SuperSU..

    Well I think im gonna give a try to updating my ZL via PCC
  6. #6  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    19,442 Posts
    Global Posts
    19,859 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: Failed to update my Sony Xperia ZL ota

    Good luck. I can try to help if I can.

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Failed to update my Sony Xperia ZL ota

    Don't do it. Updates up to 4.2.2 was all great. 4.3 is not. Ruined much of the UI, made the alarm clock less functional, my phone is now dropping calls, BlueTooth functions erratically, I get scratchy BT transmissions and a reduced BT range.

    Prior to updating to 4.3, this was the best phone I ever had. Now, it's a piece of post-digestive residue. Android 4.3, on this particular handset, with it's particular UI, in my humble opinion, is a serious downgrade in both reliability and functionality of the same handset running 4.2.2. On top of reduced functionality, it changed the UI to something that's aesthetically, rather bland and unimaginative.

    Sony's online "chat" support Did not offer a fix, and the first thing they wrote, when I mentioned I was thinking of changing my phone, was a bland pre-cooked threat of voiding my warranty if I "rooted", something I never even brought up. I'm probably going to get another handset just like the one I already own, or a Z1, because I really like these handsets, but with full knowledge that not all upgrades go smoothly, and will stick with the next one "AS-IS" until I've found an alternative to Android. (Moving to something else after 4.3, I can't live with the crippling of SDcard support 4.4 KitKat imposes. Leaning towards a WinPhone...)

    I've had two successful system updates, but the one to 4.3 did not, and neither Sony or Google gives a hoot. So go ahead if you will, but don't count on Sony if your phone goes awry, because just like other big corporate giants, they don't give a rats' hind about you, or you hard-earned money.


    - Alarm styles gone
    - Alarm require additional tap on a "DONE" button after being "SET", or it reverts the changes.
    - Alarm settings page is F-ing white! (Who's the moron ? When I'm half asleep and trying to change my alarm time, I don't want to be blinded!)
    - Throw function is now exclusive to Sony's crappy onboard media player (Walkman... What a sorry joke of a player that is...)
    - Serious BlueTooth issues (Not good for a truck driver in a place where holding the handset will get you a ticket )
    - Doesn't play well with my car's SYNC system any more.
    - Dropped calls.
    - App drawer just became bloated with a bunch of useless "features", unless your a geek "app reviewer" of sorts who spends his life installing/uninstalling apps..
    "All information is imperfect. We have to treat it with humility."
    - The Ascent of man.
    J. Bronowsky.

Similar Threads

  1. Is there anyway to remove Default Samsung Contacts Icons
    By Raajpoot in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-26-2014, 08:19 AM
  2. How to remove the OTA downloaded Kitkat firmware?
    By iron56 in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-11-2014, 09:37 AM
  3. Help me hack my own phone acer s500
    By justmedana in forum Software Development and Hacking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-16-2014, 05:03 AM
  4. found my Sony Tipo after a a few weeks in damp grass
    By Blumbertumb in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-18-2014, 08:56 AM
  5. What apps do you use to manage your databases on Android devices?
    By KateN in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-18-2014, 03:20 AM

Posting Permissions