| || |
Re: Failed to update my Sony Xperia ZL ota
Don't do it. Updates up to 4.2.2 was all great. 4.3 is not. Ruined much of the UI, made the alarm clock less functional, my phone is now dropping calls, BlueTooth functions erratically, I get scratchy BT transmissions and a reduced BT range.
Prior to updating to 4.3, this was the best phone I ever had. Now, it's a piece of post-digestive residue. Android 4.3, on this particular handset, with it's particular UI, in my humble opinion, is a serious downgrade in both reliability and functionality of the same handset running 4.2.2. On top of reduced functionality, it changed the UI to something that's aesthetically, rather bland and unimaginative.
Sony's online "chat" support Did not offer a fix, and the first thing they wrote, when I mentioned I was thinking of changing my phone, was a bland pre-cooked threat of voiding my warranty if I "rooted", something I never even brought up. I'm probably going to get another handset just like the one I already own, or a Z1, because I really like these handsets, but with full knowledge that not all upgrades go smoothly, and will stick with the next one "AS-IS" until I've found an alternative to Android. (Moving to something else after 4.3, I can't live with the crippling of SDcard support 4.4 KitKat imposes. Leaning towards a WinPhone...)
I've had two successful system updates, but the one to 4.3 did not, and neither Sony or Google gives a hoot. So go ahead if you will, but don't count on Sony if your phone goes awry, because just like other big corporate giants, they don't give a rats' hind about you, or you hard-earned money.
- Alarm styles gone
- Alarm require additional tap on a "DONE" button after being "SET", or it reverts the changes.
- Alarm settings page is F-ing white! (Who's the moron ? When I'm half asleep and trying to change my alarm time, I don't want to be blinded!)
- Throw function is now exclusive to Sony's crappy onboard media player (Walkman... What a sorry joke of a player that is...)
- Serious BlueTooth issues (Not good for a truck driver in a place where holding the handset will get you a ticket )
- Doesn't play well with my car's SYNC system any more.
- Dropped calls.
- App drawer just became bloated with a bunch of useless "features", unless your a geek "app reviewer" of sorts who spends his life installing/uninstalling apps..