Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 25 of 25
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By worldspy99
  • 1 Post By Wireless Gadget
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default lollipop is here!

    Anyone else??

    Posted via the Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lollipop is here!-1673.jpg  
  2. #2  

    Default Re: lollipop is here!

    Cool beans!
    ImmaGhost likes this.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: lollipop is here!

    Very cool!

    Now, can you write to your external sd?

    If so, what's the procedure?

    Stan
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: lollipop is here!

    Quote Originally Posted by Standroid43 View Post
    Very cool!

    Now, can you write to your external sd?

    If so, what's the procedure?

    Stan
    I don't have an SD card at the moment but I can try to get one and check.

    Posted via Android Central App
  5. #5  

    Default Re: lollipop is here!

    Quote Originally Posted by mchockeyvette27 View Post
    I don't have an SD card at the moment but I can try to get one and check.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Please do...that is the only thing that would hold me back from an update
  6. #6  

    Default Re: lollipop is here!

    Kewl yeah, got the Lollipop update notification just now for my Sony Xperia Z Ultra gpe over here in Ontario Canada!

    Posted via the Android Central App on my Xperia Z Ultra
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lollipop is here!-5577.jpg  
    mchockeyvette27 likes this.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: lollipop is here!

    OK, I heard the call a few hours ago and plunged right in with the OTA update. All very smooth including all installed apps.

    But, I'm still unable to create a new folder on my external SD with ESFileExplorer.

    I emailed the developer and they replied with a cryptic message to just follow the example in the attachment. The attachment was a zip file of five png images. They appear to be random images with no relation to the obvious problem we're all trying to solve!

    Has anyone figured out how to write to the external sd under 5.0?
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaGhost View Post
    Please do...that is the only thing that would hold me back from an update
    So I just wrote a test folder to my external SD. I used es file explorer. Doing the same process on my kit Kat device, I got an error. But in lollipop it allowed it. Hope that was what you're looking for.

    Posted via the Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lollipop is here!-2931.jpg  
  9. #9  

    Default Re: lollipop is here!

    Quote Originally Posted by mchockeyvette27 View Post
    So I just wrote a test folder to my external SD. I used es file explorer. Doing the same process on my kit Kat device, I got an error. But in lollipop it allowed it. Hope that was what you're looking for.

    Posted via the Android Central App
    That's almost exactly what I was looking for. But, I would really like to be able to reproduce the same result!

    I'm also using es file explorer, z-ultra GPe and 5.0 lollipop. But, when I attempt to create a new folder on the external sd I get the message, "Sorry, operation failed". Attempts to copy a file from internal storage to the external sd result in a similar failure.

    What are you doing that results in a successful write to the external sd? Did you change any system settings? What version of ES File Explorer are you using?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: lollipop is here!

    Quote Originally Posted by Standroid43 View Post
    That's almost exactly what I was looking for. But, I would really like to be able to reproduce the same result!

    I'm also using es file explorer, z-ultra GPe and 5.0 lollipop. But, when I attempt to create a new folder on the external sd I get the message, "Sorry, operation failed". Attempts to copy a file from internal storage to the external sd result in a similar failure.

    What are you doing that results in a successful write to the external sd? Did you change any system settings? What version of ES File Explorer are you using?
    Hmmm I didn't try to actually move a file there...but I would assume it would work since creating a blank file worked.

    I was using the very latest version. I would have to check again when I can. That's not my daily phone, so I gotta switch the SD from my htc to that.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: lollipop is here!

    So I was able to move an existing file from my internal to external SD. No problems what so ever.

    Posted via the Android Central App
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default Re: lollipop is here!

    lollipop is here!-10277.jpg

    Posted via the Android Central App
  13. #13  

    Default Re: lollipop is here!

    Quote Originally Posted by mchockeyvette27 View Post
    So I was able to move an existing file from my internal to external SD. No problems what so ever.

    Posted via the Android Central App
    What app are you using to move and create files on the external SD?

    And, please confirm that you are NOT rooted?
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

    Default Re: lollipop is here!

    Quote Originally Posted by Standroid43 View Post
    What app are you using to move and create files on the external SD?

    And, please confirm that you are NOT rooted?
    I'm using es file explorer, the latest version. And I am not rooted.

    I simply turned the phone on, opened the app, and created/moved a file to my external SD.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: lollipop is here!

    Quote Originally Posted by mchockeyvette27 View Post
    I'm using es file explorer, the latest version. And I am not rooted.

    I simply turned the phone on, opened the app, and created/moved a file to my external SD.
    OK, please help me figure out what I am doing wrong.

    I too am using the latest version of ES File Explorer, 3.2.3.1, from Google Play.

    I open ESFE.

    From the ESFE home window I select drive "emulated, 0", the internal storage (advertised as 16gb, in reality I get 11.79gb available).

    I select a file, a 265byte text file named test.txt, by long-pressing on the file name.

    a) I tap copy. I switch to the window for my external sd, "storage, sdcard1". I tap paste. ESFE opens the task info box, but instead of seeing the progress of the paste task it announces, "Copy task failed".

    b) Alternatively, I tap more, then copy-to, and select sdcard1. Again, ESFE opens the task info box and announces, "Copy task failed".

    As you know, the internal storage can be found in ESFE identified at least three different ways, "emulated, 0", "storage, sdcard0" and "emulated, legacy" and perhaps more. They all show all the same directories and files. I have tried the two versions of the test above with all.

    Similarly, attempts to move rather than copy differ only in that the message says, "Move task failed".

    If I start by selecting the sdcard1 window and use the ESFE "+" button to create either a new folder or a new file, the message is "Sorry, operation failed".

    So please tell me if you can make this sequence work, or tell me what you are doing differently.

    And please, anyone else who has received their OTA update to Android 5.0 on a z-ultra GPe or any non-rooted device that has an external sd... Please speak up! Can you write to your external sd with any file manager app? If so, how?

    BTW, I also have an LG g-pad 8.3 GPe that received its 5.0 update a week ago and all the problems described above are perfectly reproducible on it. Two lollipops, both with external sds and no joy on either!

    I have also attempted this test with Astro and x-Plore... No joy!

    Thanks,

    Stan
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

    Default Re: lollipop is here!

    Quote Originally Posted by Standroid43 View Post
    OK, please help me figure out what I am doing wrong.

    I too am using the latest version of ES File Explorer, 3.2.3.1, from Google Play.

    I open ESFE.

    From the ESFE home window I select drive "emulated, 0", the internal storage (advertised as 16gb, in reality I get 11.79gb available).

    I select a file, a 265byte text file named test.txt, by long-pressing on the file name.

    a) I tap copy. I switch to the window for my external sd, "storage, sdcard1". I tap paste. ESFE opens the task info box, but instead of seeing the progress of the paste task it announces, "Copy task failed".

    b) Alternatively, I tap more, then copy-to, and select sdcard1. Again, ESFE opens the task info box and announces, "Copy task failed".

    As you know, the internal storage can be found in ESFE identified at least three different ways, "emulated, 0", "storage, sdcard0" and "emulated, legacy" and perhaps more. They all show all the same directories and files. I have tried the two versions of the test above with all.

    Similarly, attempts to move rather than copy differ only in that the message says, "Move task failed".

    If I start by selecting the sdcard1 window and use the ESFE "+" button to create either a new folder or a new file, the message is "Sorry, operation failed".

    So please tell me if you can make this sequence work, or tell me what you are doing differently.

    And please, anyone else who has received their OTA update to Android 5.0 on a z-ultra GPe or any non-rooted device that has an external sd... Please speak up! Can you write to your external sd with any file manager app? If so, how?

    BTW, I also have an LG g-pad 8.3 GPe that received its 5.0 update a week ago and all the problems described above are perfectly reproducible on it. Two lollipops, both with external sds and no joy on either!

    I have also attempted this test with Astro and x-Plore... No joy!

    Thanks,

    Stan
    So the error message I was getting with a non lollipop device was not the same message you are getting. It was along the lines of you must be rooted in order for this operation to work. So it doesn't seem that the problem is with the version of android itself.

    Can you afford to format your SD card and try again from a clean slate? Have you tried a different SD in either device?
  17. #17  

    Default Re: lollipop is here!

    Quote Originally Posted by mchockeyvette27 View Post
    Can you afford to format your SD card and try again from a clean slate? Have you tried a different SD in either device?
    Not this sd, but I'll swap in another newly formatted sd later today.

    Can you confirm that the test procedure I described is exactly the same as you use. Even a minor variation might be the key to what I'm doing wrong.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

    Default Re: lollipop is here!

    Quote Originally Posted by Standroid43 View Post
    Not this sd, but I'll swap in another newly formatted sd later today.

    Can you confirm that the test procedure I described is exactly the same as you use. Even a minor variation might be the key to what I'm doing wrong.
    You have done exactly the same as I.

    Posted via the Android Central App
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

    Default Re: lollipop is here!

    Quote Originally Posted by Standroid43 View Post
    Not this sd, but I'll swap in another newly formatted sd later today.

    Can you confirm that the test procedure I described is exactly the same as you use. Even a minor variation might be the key to what I'm doing wrong.
    This is what I get when trying to create a file on the SD card on my m8 running KitKat. Is that what you get when trying to create a file?

    Posted via Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lollipop is here!-70146.jpg  
  20. #20  

    Default Re: lollipop is here!

    Success!

    Short version: the sd card must be formatted as fat32.

    My 64gb sd was formatted as exfat. That works fine under KitKat and lollipop continued to read and write to it within the limitations imposed by KitKat. I have many apps that used the SD for their own data within the narrow restrictions introduced by KitKat. But, no app could write to any directory other than its own. Thus, since a file manager like ESFE always works with data owned by other apps it was write-locked.

    At your suggestion, I tried a freshly formatted 16gb sd and was thrilled to find that ESFE can do everything you said it can.

    Then, I backed up the 50+gb of maps and other media I had stored on the 64gb sd and reformatted as exfat. No joy!

    I reformatted as ntfs. No joy!

    With a 64gb sd the format options are limited. But, I found a utility that will format the entire 64gb sd as fat32. Voila!

    So, lollipop does indeed restore the ability to read, write and create files/folders on your external sd without the restrictions imposed by the loathsome KitKat, but your external sd must be formatted as fat32.

    Stan
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

    Default Re: lollipop is here!

    Quote Originally Posted by Standroid43 View Post
    Success!

    Short version: the sd card must be formatted as fat32.

    My 64gb sd was formatted as exfat. That works fine under KitKat and lollipop continued to read and write to it within the limitations imposed by KitKat. I have many apps that used the SD for their own data within the narrow restrictions introduced by KitKat. But, no app could write to any directory other than its own. Thus, since a file manager like ESFE always works with data owned by other apps it was write-locked.

    At your suggestion, I tried a freshly formatted 16gb sd and was thrilled to find that ESFE can do everything you said it can.

    Then, I backed up the 50+gb of maps and other media I had stored on the 64gb sd and reformatted as exfat. No joy!

    I reformatted as ntfs. No joy!

    With a 64gb sd the format options are limited. But, I found a utility that will format the entire 64gb sd as fat32. Voila!

    So, lollipop does indeed restore the ability to read, write and create files/folders on your external sd without the restrictions imposed by the loathsome KitKat, but your external sd must be formatted as fat32.

    Stan
    Ahh wouldn't have even known that myself! Glad you finally got it to work!

    Posted via Android Central App
  22. #22  

    Default Re: lollipop is here!

    Ok, I've been happily writing and reading to/from my 64gb external microsd for nearly two months with only the occasional hitch. Now, I've pinned down the cause of those few hitches and I'm in need of a new solution.

    The previous solution of formatting the 64gb microsd to fat32 works perfectly with android 5.0 for files under 4gb, but write operations past 4gb fail!

    What file system solves all the problems?

    1. Read AND write with android 5.0 Lollipop.
    2. Microsd cards 64gb and larger.
    3. Individual files larger than 4gb.
    4. Optional: compatibility with either Linux or Windows.

    Stan
  23. #23  

    Default Re: lollipop is here!

    any new features?
  24. #24  

    Default Re: lollipop is here!

    Quote Originally Posted by mchockeyvette27 View Post
    Anyone else??

    Posted via the Android Central App
  25. #25  

    Default Re: lollipop is here!

    Guys I have a problem with my 64gb SanDisk.. I have xperia z ultra android 5.0.2 not rooted.. I have problem with the exfat format.. when I format my Sd card using the setting->storage->erase sd card, it formats perfectly.. but after I download torrents with large single files, it starts normally, but after an amount of time the sd card deletes its contents like it reformats it self. im using now the fat32 format but the 4gb size limit is kindda frustrating 😤.. any help would be appreciated!!

Similar Threads

  1. Android Lollipop SUCKS!
    By clporritt in forum Android 5.0 Lollipop
    Replies: 120
    Last Post: 01-27-2016, 08:03 PM
  2. Will be an update for Gear 2? Tizen is in 2.3 already (released on November 8).
    By Gilbert Mertins in forum Samsung Gear 2 & Gear 2 Neo
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-03-2014, 07:33 AM
  3. Has the Lollipop OTA update stopped for Nexus 7 2013?
    By brendan killey in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-01-2014, 10:42 PM
  4. Camera improvements with lollipop?
    By erica dapice in forum Moto X (2014)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-01-2014, 09:18 PM
  5. Why won't Lollipop stop ringing?
    By Terry Baldwin in forum Google Nexus 5
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-01-2014, 08:26 PM

Posting Permissions