Swapping SD cards.. how to move content?

flynlow

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I did a search on this, tried what I read and it didn't work. I am putting a 16GB card into the Epic but want to move the content from the card that came with it to the 16 card. I read to just copy and paste. That didn't work for me. The folders went in but they are empty when they get to the bigger card. Could anyone give me a walk through, or a tutorial on how to get this done? I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
You should be able to just backup your old card to your computer via USB mass storage then using the same method move the data to your new card.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Ted, some people swear by the fact that the better the class the better the performance on the card. My recent cheapo $30 sdcard performs just as well as my older card that I spent $60.

I think it all comes down to preference. My biggest concern seems always to try and stick with a good name brand on storage devices of any sorts (sd cards, hard drives, etc..) then 2nd worry about the difference ranges of quality on a certain make.

In this case I stick with SanDisk, they seem to hold up very well.

rdybala

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Amazon has 32GB SanDisk for $46.99, just bought mine today. Do I need to do anything special after copying all files over? Or will the phone recognize automatically that there is now a 32GB in it?

Devtodi

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
good question, just bought the same card. I suspect all we need to do is copy the files over and when the phone does the initial scan upon bootup, it will know how many gig the card is. Since the card is not an essential part of the boot up process, it wont matter, nothing needs to be configured. Experts, please correct me if I am wrong.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Only thing I'm aware of is the Epic won't format a 32 gig card. So if you do go to format it you will have to do it using a computer and card adapter.

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Only thing I'm aware of is the Epic won't format a 32 gig card. So if you do go to format it you will have to do it using a computer and card adapter.

I am almost positive I formated my card in my epic - cause my 32gb got corrupted and I had to do a reformat - and I was always told from a long time agao to only reformat it on the device it is in for the most compatibility - thats why I think my epic did the formatting.

Hope I don't have to find out again! :)

rdybala

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Did anyone test this out yet? Does the Epic format the 32GB card or will I have to on my PC? If no one knows, I will test it out when mine arrives today.

Devtodi

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
Got my 32 GB card last night and popped into my laptop. No formatting at all. Plugged in the phone, dragged and dropped and poof, faster than you can say "Harry Potter " I am up and running with double the capacity. Too easy.

Reactions: rdybala

rdybala

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Awesome, thanks for the info Ted! I cant wait to load mine up with movies so I have something to do on long trips. Ha! :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Got my 32 GB card last night and popped into my laptop. No formatting at all. Plugged in the phone, dragged and dropped and poof, faster than you can say "Harry Potter " I am up and running with double the capacity. Too easy.

When I get my cards (so far I have bought; 4gb, 8gb, 16gb, 32gb) x2 because I have 2 epics, I have never formatted my cards, I just pull them out of the package and transfer my files. The only time I had to format my cards was when they got corrupt from something I probably did, and as far as I can remember, I have always formatted them in my phone.

Reactions: rdybala

rdybala

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Got my 32GB card in today. Copied everything over using CWM and then swapped them out. Started my phone and shazaam! Works like a champ. Muchas gracias to the amigos here who helped me root, rom and now hot swap mini sdcards with confidence! :D :D :D :D :D

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana