Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Brand new epic owner

I am brand new to the epic scene. I just got the phone last week.. I am going to root and rom my epic with the srf 1.2 with the genocide kernal. The video on how to do this seems pretty straight forward. I just have a few questions about after the fact.

1. srf 1.2 has three different versions, how do you choose which one to use, also how do switch between them?

2. On the video it said nothing about making a backup, should I make one? How do I do that.

3. Does flashing this rom increase 3g speeds or reception?

4. Can you put custome backgrounds(the matrix live wallpaper) with this rom or do you have to use the ones provided?

Sorry for the noob questions but like I said I am brand new to this whole epic thing. Any help would be awsome, thanks.

Default Re: Brand new epic owner

Quote Originally Posted by led4lyf View Post
    I am brand new to the epic scene. I just got the phone last week.. I am going to root and rom my epic with the srf 1.2 with the genocide kernal. The video on how to do this seems pretty straight forward. I just have a few questions about after the fact.

1. srf 1.2 has three different versions, how do you choose which one to use, also how do switch between them?
    You would have to download each one of them and flash/switch ROMs. I would just recommend grabbing the latest 1.2 and enjoy!
    2. On the video it said nothing about making a backup, should I make one? How do I do that.
    First you can root your device as instructed and then you can download and use Titanium Backup or MyBackup Root (both free) from the Market to backup app data (like games etc...) and anything else you feel important. Then once your on the ROM of choice, you can reinstall the backup app and restore your backups. * Data only is usually the best, redownload the app then restore data only.
    3. Does flashing this rom increase 3g speeds or reception?
    Yes it should surf somewhat faster since all data throttling and other things were removed in earlier versions of SRF and carried over into the newer updates.
    4. Can you put custome backgrounds(the matrix live wallpaper) with this rom or do you have to use the ones provided?
    You can flash these or install them afterwards.

Sorry for the noob questions but like I said I am brand new to this whole epic thing. Any help would be awsome, thanks.
    No problem... Questions are good.. Always smart to ask first before backing yourself into a corner.

Also, welcome to Android Central and congrats on becoming an Epic 4g owner!
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    You would have to download each one of them and flash/switch ROMs. I would just recommend grabbing the latest 1.2 and enjoy!
    First you can root your device as instructed and then you can download and use Titanium Backup or MyBackup Root (both free) from the Market to backup app data (like games etc...) and anything else you feel important. Then once your on the ROM of choice, you can reinstall the backup app and restore your backups. * Data only is usually the best, redownload the app then restore data only.
    Yes it should surf somewhat faster since all data throttling and other things were removed in earlier versions of SRF and carried over into the newer updates.
    You can flash these or install them afterwards.

No problem... Questions are good.. Always smart to ask first before backing yourself into a corner.

Also, welcome to Android Central and congrats on becoming an Epic 4g owner!
    Thanks for the quick reply. I have not really put anything on the phone, no contacts and not very many apps. So if I don't care about losing that stuff do I have to use a back up program? Also one more question will the wall papers from the market still work with this rom?

Ok maybe not the last question, I have heard alot about touchwiz, sorry for the simple question but what is it? Is it just the way all the touch buttons work. Some people complain about it, but I have not had a problem with it. What is exactly wrong with it.

One more thing does srf totally get rid of all the sprint apps and bloatware?

Thanks again
    Last edited by led4lyf; 07-13-2011 at 04:49 PM.

Global Posts
    560 Global Posts

Thanks for the quick reply. I have not really put anything on the phone, no contacts and not very many apps. So if I don't care about losing that stuff do I have to use a back up program? Also one more question will the wall papers from the market still work with this rom?

Ok maybe not the last question, I have heard alot about touchwiz, sorry for the simple question but what is it? Is it just the way all the touch buttons work. Some people complain about it, but I have not had a problem with it. What is exactly wrong with it.

Thanks again
    The backup program restores data that you've put into the phone. If you don't have any, then you can skip this step.
    TouchWiz is just the interface ("Launcher") on the screen to use the phone. You use it to put widgets on your screen, it's what you use to load programs, etc. It's like the "Start" icon for Windows as well as the "Gadgets" feature for Windows. Their are alternatives. Honestly, they all have their strengths. I personally use GO Launcher EX. Once you install ACS you can install new ones and delete the old ones. Here's GO Launcher EX:
    https://market.android.com/details?i....go.launcherex

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts

Thanks again
    Having just flashed SRF and the Genocide kernel myself, I can say that doing this isn't near as bad as it may seem at first. Follow the instructions given above, watch qbking77's videos and you'll be fine.

To your specific question, yes, doing this does rid you of the Sprint bloat/spyware.