1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

Angry 4G Constant connect-disconnect?

I know there has been others with this issue, yet despite my searching of the forums can't seem to find a post. Recently purchased the Epic.

Both my home area and work area are plenty within and surrounded by 4G coverage per Sprint's coverage map on their site, yet all I see is "4G network connected" and "4G network disconected" back and forth-and this is while STANDING STILL.

The horrendous, borderline criminal battery life is one thing-but I'll buy spare batteries as I did with the Pre. This 4G stuff is nonsense. All the bragging and it doesn't work?

I did also try this little adjustment exacly as stated, and it seems to make no difference (and might have made it worse-more frequent):

Thanks for any help...
    Banned

Global Posts
    316 Global Posts

That's why I got rid of it. Cause it sucked

Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk
    Banned

Global Posts
    316 Global Posts

Ashame such great hardware & crap shot software

Default Re: 4G Constant connect-disconnect??

Quote Originally Posted by bipoler View Post
    Ashame such great hardware & crap shot software

where do you live if you dont mind me asking.

i had the same issue not too long ago

ROM
    EH17 U. Metamorphosis 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by daveross View Post
    I know there has been others with this issue, yet despite my searching of the forums can't seem to find a post. Recently purchased the Epic.

Both my home area and work area are plenty within and surrounded by 4G coverage per Sprint's coverage map on their site, yet all I see is "4G network connected" and "4G network disconected" back and forth-and this is while STANDING STILL.

The horrendous, borderline criminal battery life is one thing-but I'll buy spare batteries as I did with the Pre. This 4G stuff is nonsense. All the bragging and it doesn't work?

I did also try this little adjustment exacly as stated, and it seems to make no difference (and might have made it worse-more frequent):

Thanks for any help...
    I had the same problem. I decided to rooted and get a custom rom. All my problems were resolved. It has a great hardware like the other person said. However, its software has a lot of flaws. Now, I love my Epic 4g. It is best phone I ever have.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tomy2001 View Post
    I had the same problem. I decided to rooted and get a custom rom. All my problems were resolved. It has a great hardware like the other person said. However, its software has a lot of flaws. Now, I love my Epic 4g. It is best phone I ever have.

Yeah I planned on most likely doing that in the not-too-far future, but did it solve your 4G connectivity issues as well? What are some of the other issues/improvements you speak of?

Thanks

ROM
    EH17 U. Metamorphosis 2.0

Yeah I planned on most likely doing that in the not-too-far future, but did it solve your 4G connectivity issues as well? What are some of the other issues/improvements you speak of?

Thanks
    In my opinion 4G is not very stable. Sprint is working in getting a better modem for the Epic.
    Every single Epic phone is different. I have downloaded a few Ginger bread leak. EE03,EF02,EF10.
    We just got the lastest Leak EG22 it works pretty good on my phone. I get excellent 4g coverage.

Issues:
    1. My phone was very slow. After I rooted my phone has been able to increse the speed of the processor (changing RFS filesystem for EXT4 filesystem),

Getting a better voice signal by getting Roam Control app from the market. Since my phone is rooted I am able to use it.I save a lot of battery life because the phone doesn't waste energy searching for signal.

I have been able to get custom roms created by Dev over XDA and Android Central as well. Most of the custom roms do not have ciq software. CIQ tells Sprint and Samsung what you do with your phone. This CIQ softwear sends everything you sends (texts, calls, searching the internet, wherever you go) it is a waste of energy as well.

When you get a chance go to Epic 4G Rooting,Roms, and Hacks and read more.
    Last edited by tomy2001; 07-26-2011 at 11:38 AM.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by tomy2001 View Post
    In my opinion 4G is not very stable. Sprint is working in getting a better modem for the Epic.
    Every single Epic phone is different. I have downloaded a few Ginger bread leak. EE03,EF02,EF10.
    We just got the lastest Leak EG22 it works pretty good on my phone. I get excellent 4g coverage.

Issues:
    1. My phone was very slow. After I rooted my phone has been able to increse the speed of the processor (changing RFS filesystem for EXT4 filesystem),

Getting a better voice signal by getting Roam Control app from the market. Since my phone is rooted I am able to use it.I save a lot of battery life because the phone doesn't waste energy searching for signal.

I have been able to get custom roms created by Dev over XDA and Android Central as well. Most of the custom roms do not have ciq software. CIQ tells Sprint and Samsung what you do with your phone. This CIQ softwear sends everything you sends (texts, calls, searching the internet, wherever you go) it is a waste of energy as well.

When you get a chance go to Epic 4G Rooting,Roms, and Hacks and read more.
    so, for those items you mentioned, what is the rom you use? I know there are many out there, but I want exactly what you outline, so which one works well for you? I am not doing it myself, i'll brick my phone, paying a guy to do it.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mcp6530 View Post
    so, for those items you mentioned, what is the rom you use? I know there are many out there, but I want exactly what you outline, so which one works well for you? I am not doing it myself, i'll brick my phone, paying a guy to do it.
    Ditto that for me-I'd like to know as well. What rooting procedure is safest/best, and what rom is most stable/best overall, etc. In the mean time I think at least on the east coast they need to rename this phone the Epic 3G, since I've yet to be able to ever use 4G or even have it stay on for more than 20 seconds. This of course again, is both at home and 41 miles away at work, BOTH places are saturated and surrounded in DARK ORANGE on the Sprint coverage map. This phone is false advertising in east PA-there is no 4G out here despite what Sprint's maps and claims.

Quote Originally Posted by mcp6530 View Post
    I could be wrong, but as far as I know, the 3G/4G switching shouldn't be fixed by just flashing a new ROM. The modem needs to be flashed with ODIN and is never changed with any ROMs. I know that is fact, but I don't know if they switching between 4G/3G is handled in the ROM part of the software or the modem.

and yes, I have the same issue. I'm on EF10 modem now and it works OK. Still switches alot. What I have found with this one is that I will have a 4G signal (one bar), then it goes ZZZZ on me since I'm not using the phone. But then I go right to my RSS app and it connects with 4G and I get one bar. It's not exactly right, but it does work for me.

one last thing, 4G is DEFINITELY faster. way faster. I can't stand when I can't get a 4G signal.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by frankwhite8536 View Post
    I could be wrong, but as far as I know, the 3G/4G switching shouldn't be fixed by just flashing a new ROM. The modem needs to be flashed with ODIN and is never changed with any ROMs. I know that is fact, but I don't know if they switching between 4G/3G is handled in the ROM part of the software or the modem.

and yes, I have the same issue. I'm on EF10 modem now and it works OK. Still switches alot. What I have found with this one is that I will have a 4G signal (one bar), then it goes ZZZZ on me since I'm not using the phone. But then I go right to my RSS app and it connects with 4G and I get one bar. It's not exactly right, but it does work for me.

one last thing, 4G is DEFINITELY faster. way faster. I can't stand when I can't get a 4G signal.
    But I do need to be rooted in order to change the modem firmaware, correct? From what I've heard it is handled by the modem, and for me personally-updating to 2.3 Gingerbread is just an additional plus (I hear it has improved a number of issues anyhow, and it seems Spring/Samsung is going to take an eternity to release it officially)

I had some 4G in the very beggining, and yes it was more than twice as fast as my 1.5 Mbps home DSL. But then it went away. I've only had the Epic about a month now-and only had 4G maybe the first week. We bought two and the wifes was recently factory reset and it didn't fix it so I doubt apps are causing the problem.

But I do need to be rooted in order to change the modem firmaware, correct? From what I've heard it is handled by the modem, and for me personally-updating to 2.3 Gingerbread is just an additional plus (I hear it has improved a number of issues anyhow, and it seems Spring/Samsung is going to take an eternity to release it officially)

I had some 4G in the very beggining, and yes it was more than twice as fast as my 1.5 Mbps home DSL. But then it went away. I've only had the Epic about a month now-and only had 4G maybe the first week. We bought two and the wifes was recently factory reset and it didn't fix it so I doubt apps are causing the problem.
    I'm not totally sure if you have to be rooted to flash the modem. I would say yeah, but then again, I've flashed a ROM with ODIN without being rooted. The rooting (whatever it does) is embedded within either the Kernel or the ROM. Do some digging and you it will be more clear than I'm doing. But the rooting that I've always dealt with and seen deals with the ROM or the Kernel parts. And like I said, the Modem doesn't get changed just when you flash either one.

I would suggest rooting though. Tethering is reason enough. I also own an ASUS Transformer that's wifi only. I don't abuse it, just to update email or browse for a couple minutes. Sync up Words with Friends or download in a pinch.

ROM
    AC!

Quote Originally Posted by frankwhite8536 View Post
    I'm not totally sure if you have to be rooted to flash the modem. I would say yeah, but then again, I've flashed a ROM with ODIN without being rooted. The rooting (whatever it does) is embedded within either the Kernel or the ROM. Do some digging and you it will be more clear than I'm doing. But the rooting that I've always dealt with and seen deals with the ROM or the Kernel parts. And like I said, the Modem doesn't get changed just when you flash either one.

I would suggest rooting though. Tethering is reason enough. I also own an ASUS Transformer that's wifi only. I don't abuse it, just to update email or browse for a couple minutes. Sync up Words with Friends or download in a pinch.
    From What i've learned throught, the kernel is what gets rooted and changes when a rom is flashed, the modem is untouched when it comes to rom flashing.