1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Thumbs down WPS button connection

Could someone explain this? Is this a feature on the epic? I found it was on the other 3 galaxy s phones...I know it has something to do with wi-fi, but I'm not sure what

Any help would be appreciated

Default Re: WPS button connection

I have found that it stands for Wireless Protection Setup.

I think it has to do with being an option for connecting to a router that has the same "WPS" button setup feature. Its basically a simplified router connection setup.

Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) is a standard for easy and secure wireless network set up and connections. WPS lets you use push buttons or PINS instead of entering a network name (SSID) and wireless security by hand.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

Global Posts
    1,091 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock - but Rooted

Yup, it is a simplified secure connection between device and router - I have an IP camera that I connected that way - you don't need to make a passphrase/keycode to connect and make your device secure, it does it for you automatically thru a push of a button on each device - it reacts in the same way and simuliar to how you pair a BT headset to your phone, i.e., a push of a button on both devices make a secure connection.
    Samsung Galaxy S3 (tweaked and rooted)
    Samsung Epic 4G (retired rooted backup)
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
    Apple iPad 3 (yes, I have one of those also)

For all mobile devices - get one!
    XDA kickstand4u tm Review

Oh my! I rooted my SGS3!
    Rock Solid and Perfect!

If I have helped you - visit my site - now that's a new one!

okay but where on the phone is the button?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Tauriello View Post
    okay but where on the phone is the button?
    It won't be a physical button
    I don't recall it being in the settings either. You will find it under the wireless settings. If it's there, it will probably just be the two arrows circling each other, with no words. If not, than you'll have to pair it up to the router the old fashioned way, by entering the passcode set in the router.
    Sprint Galaxy Nexus [stock for now]
    BB 8130, iPhone 4 8g, iPhone 3g 16gb, Toshiba e800, Palm Tungsten T
    [retired]Epic 4g, BB8330, BB 9670, Samsung Intercept, Katana DLX, Sanyo 8400, HTC Wizard, MPX220, and many others...