Volume anyone?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Are you talking about speaker volume or headset volume? Volume+ on the Market will increase speaker volume, but you must be running Gingerbread (the API it uses doesn't exist in Froyo). And Voodoo Sound can increase your headset volume, but you do need a custom kernel that has it built in to use the Voodoo Sound app from the Market.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Are you talking about speaker volume or headset volume? Volume+ on the Market will increase speaker volume, but you must be running Gingerbread (the API it uses doesn't exist in Froyo). And Voodoo Sound can increase your headset volume, but you do need a custom kernel that has it built in to use the Voodoo Sound app from the Market.

Not ENTIRELY true. The FREE voodoo requires a kernel with the driver embedded in it. The PAID works just fine 100% stock ;) I will say voodoo rules for headset, especially if you use it wired up to a home/car stereo. The audio hardware is second to none.

I haven't tried the volume+ to boost the speaker volume. Thanks for that, I'll give it a try.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
what's a custom kernel? See what I mean?

The Kernel is the low level portion of the Operating system, it sits somewhere between the power button and what you see on the screen. By tweaking the kernel (devs have to do this), updated drivers, other enhancements such as overclock and undervolt (faster, more efficient respectively) etc. can make the device operate much differently than it does stock.

The stock audio drivers can be swapped with the voodoo ones which allows the free voodoo to work.

Devtodi

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
Not ENTIRELY true. The FREE voodoo requires a kernel with the driver embedded in it. The PAID works just fine 100% stock ;) I will say voodoo rules for headset, especially if you use it wired up to a home/car stereo. The audio hardware is second to none.

According to the market description, I need to be rooted for the app to work.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
According to the market description, I need to be rooted for the app to work.

OOPS. Ted, you are absolutely correct! Rooted and custom kernels are different (although root can be part of a custom kernel). I've never ran unrooted, so I missed that part.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Just another one of those reasons to consider rooting.... But I understand rooting is not for everyone.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
nice sales pitch Paul, like saying that Ferrari's are not for everyone.
LOL.. Sorry Ted, it was not intended to come off that way... I've been around here with you long enough and I've read and understand your concerns about rooting. I don't have a problem with your choice to run stock.

Heck I don't even have a Ferrari match box car, but my 3 yr old does!

Devtodi

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
the thing is, if I am not understanding the directions then I am not going forward. If someone had a comprehensive blow by blow instruction, I would try it.

Devtodi

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
Okay. Post root (sound of crowds cheering) I wanted to report on my initial foray into volume enhancement. Volume+ 1.7.3 is available in the market but if you register at the website, you can have it for free. Problem is, you can have it. Initial boost is clean but lacking in bass. If you boost a little bass, sound gets muddy. But mostly, whether playing songs from SD card or streaming, if you multitask, you will be rewarded with glitchy cut outs. Very annoying. Any feedback on Voodoo would be welcome before I spring $4 for it. Thanks for reading.

cerobles1

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I would also like to know if it's possible to make Galaxy Tuner work on Ginverbread, I love that app and it almost make me stay with SFR 1.2

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Okay. Post root (sound of crowds cheering) I wanted to report on my initial foray into volume enhancement. Volume+ 1.7.3 is available in the market but if you register at the website, you can have it for free. Problem is, you can have it. Initial boost is clean but lacking in bass. If you boost a little bass, sound gets muddy. But mostly, whether playing songs from SD card or streaming, if you multitask, you will be rewarded with glitchy cut outs. Very annoying. Any feedback on Voodoo would be welcome before I spring $4 for it. Thanks for reading.

Ted,
I run Voodoo on my epic. It ONLY enhances sound from the headphones, not from the built in speakers. The quality of the headphones and their power handling varies wildly. High quality headphones (such as my Panasonic and Koss Studio headphones, and line-out to my car), will work just fine with the widest range of settings. My Blackberry earbuds don't respond well to bass enhancement but are just fine with increased power output. My crappy headphones I keep at work, I can't change anything or it kills the sound.

Devtodi

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone else tried volume +? Anything to report? RE: Voodoo, I don't care about speaker volume, it's headphone all the way. I use Bose noise canceling headphones on my commute combined with better earbuds in the car ($30 range). I think Voodoo would work for me and GB EG22 stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy