Phone randomly shutting down

jleakey

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Okay so I have a stock Epic and today it has shut down on me without any audible or visual warning. I've had it sitting on my desk while working and when I pick it up to use it I have to turn it on. It seems if it sits idle for about 15 to 20 minutes it just turns off. When I go to turn the screen on it starts the phone up like it has been off. This has never happened before so if anyone has any idea of what I should look at I would greatly appreciate it.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
This definitely isn't normal behavior if your battery is charged up. I really don't have an answer for this except maybe a factory reset might be in your future but this still doesn't sound right.

I like the OP would be interested in hearing any suggestions to resolve this.

One thought, try installing Spare Parts from the Market. This will give you a more detailed report on the condition of your battery (like exact percentage of battery charge available and temp, etc..) and maybe this might give some more insight as to what is going on.

jleakey

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
This definitely isn't normal behavior if your battery is charged up. I really don't have an answer for this except maybe a factory reset might be in your future but this still doesn't sound right.

I like the OP would be interested in hearing any suggestions to resolve this.

One thought, try installing Spare Parts from the Market. This will give you a more detailed report on the condition of your battery (like exact percentage of battery charge available and temp, etc..) and maybe this might give some more insight as to what is going on.
Already have spare parts installed. It shows the battery as good and currently at 65%. I might have to wipe and reinstall. I also have not installed any new apps on the phone in a while so unless one of them has corrupted than not sure what's going on.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Sounds good, I would attempt the factory reset and if things still continue afterwards then head to Sprint because you must have some sort of hardware related issue causing these shutdowns.

jleakey

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Okay I found the culprit right before using the factory reset. I have a spare battery that I use and when I went to swap them I found one of the metal contacts on the phone was bent just enough to cause the battery not to seat properly. I bent it back and have not had any issues since...