did Sprint's coverage get bigger?

carraser891

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting bars in places I never did before. Then I looked at the coverage map and it looked like the coverage is much more expanded than it was a couple of months ago

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I agree it does seem like its getting worse... I have roaming kick in inside my house now and I never had that before... I only live maybe 2 miles off the major citiy and I'm sure Sprint towers nearby for 4g coverage in town.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I move around a pretty large area of northeastern PA. I've found better coverage in some areas that were dead spots, and weaker coverage where I used to have a solid 2-3 bars. It seems like they are doing something with the towers, OR that the "expanded coverage" agreements are changing, and giving Sprint access to towers they didn't have, and removing others that they were able to use. Note: this is different from "roaming", as they show up as native Sprint towers. In the case of the OP, Sprint may have simply lit up a new tower near him :)

eharty

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Voice coverage seems to be staying steady but data coverage and speeds are definitely declining here. Most of the time I am lucky to get 200kbps down on 3G and 4G is non-existent even though Sprint's coverage map says I should be getting good 4G coverage indoors. Thankfully, I am able to connect to wifi most of the time.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
There are a lot of changes going on with Sprint right now.
Some have to do with other carriers towers and roaming agreements. Some have to do with LTE conversion now that they are trying to partner with LightSquared.
Some have to do with loosing towers from Verizon / Alltel merger a while back.
Right now it seems they are having a lot of gworing pains.

ejohnnyk

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I used to get full bars on Sprint at my desk at work with the Pre and then the Epic.

All of a sudden, sometime last winter, I stopped getting service in the same location. Noticed lower signal strength at home too and in my usual hangouts around town.

Everyone on Sprint I know experiences the same thing. Sucks.

I live in Buffalo btw.

cerobles1

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I live in the Tampa, FL. Area and seem to be geting better reception. Just today I notice while I was in one of the buildings I had gwo bars where my phone usually switches to roaming. And overall better reception. I'm running EH06

wiltonmanorsx

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I have to say over the last 3 months in Fort Lauderdale coverage has pretty much doubled (at least in the areas I frequent). I can get 4G almost everywhere and haven't seen a drop below 2 bars in a long while. Gone are the days (AT LAST!!!!) of only finding out someone needed to speak to me when I saw their voicemail on Google Voice.

I just wanted to add that the coverage map is far from accurate. When I first got my phone I was upset to find out there was barely any coverage where they claimed full 4G and Voice reception. My parents got really hosed with their service out west. No data and no voice although the map claimed both. Sprint was very unhelpful. They went right back to AT&T and got 2 Atrix phones instead of Epics.

Last edited:

thebullfrog

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Over the last few days my coverage has gone to complete crap. Not having signal at work was normal, but now I suddenly have zero reception at home too. My phone is in roam almost 24 hours a day now. Honestly, my phone has become nothing more than a tiny-ass tablet since I have zero data or voice capability anywhere that Im at on a regular basis.

Marshmallow713

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
It sounds pretty random, but my coverage is better. I live in Jacksonville, FL and have always had issues with coverage at work (which kills the battery) but the past month it's gotten 2 or 3 bars better. Florida at least seems to be getting better!

jimweda

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm originally from Southern California and I've never been able to trust the maps. I have tried all the other carriers and I still get the best reception and customer service from Sprint which is why I have always come back. The one issue I've always had with any carrier though is my residence. I always seemed to be in an area that gave weak signals. Now I live in Arizona and same thing. Weak signal but I don't seem to be missing any calls or anything. Browsing is the biggest issue. The only safe place now IS at home because I brought with me from California the Airave they gave me and I get fast WiFi and cell strength. I'm more heartbroken that I finally switched over to a Smartphone, (Aug 12, 2011) and there is no 4G service. Why would I get a Samsung Epic 4G when there is no 4G service anywhere near here! Didn't really think about it. I guess originally I was just going for the best free upgrade I could find but then they gave me all these discounts on the 4G it was almost free so I jumped on it hoping it would help me ween away from my iPod Touch 2nd Gen. I hated lugging around 2 devices but my Instinct was horrible and nowhere near as great as the Touch. Hated AT&T and swore I would never get the iPhone because of them which is why I got the Touch plus at half price I couldn't say no to that when it first came out.

So far I have been able to find about 85% replacements from the Touch so I'm getting closer but its hard to beat their library and graphics.

Jim