goodbye Epic - hello Photon

mcp6530

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
I upgraded my epic to a photon last week. What a relief! First and foremost, my battery lasts much longer which is a huge relief! I like the screen a lot too and it's larger than the Epic. I must admit i was on the verge of goign to the nexus because i didn't want anything larger, but the photon is just a tiny bit larger and the screen seems much larger to me. The phone is near perfect - it runs very smooth and quick and teh call quality is amazing. My epic earpiece was awful, so hard to hear anyone, but the photon mic and earpiece is much better. No force closes - and not random restarts that i suffered with the epic. I did root my epic after having it for 10 months, but not much really changed performance wise with the phone.

if anyone is on the fence about upgrading - you have to try the photon, it's a much better device in my opinion. i'm so done with samsung....

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
good for you. i guess if i had that kind of problems where rooting/reflashing and such doesn't resolve then i would want off, too. personally, since the announcement of SGSII is so close, i would have waited just so i get hands on with it before jumping.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hope the best for you. Many people have returned the photon in favor of waiting for the sgsii

b737thurman

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Headed over to BB this morning. Will still be watching cause the wife and kid both have the epic. Taking my fathers upgrade. He gets the epic. I stll have a way out if needed for the fall lineup!

kevincwelch

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
good for you. i guess if i had that kind of problems where rooting/reflashing and such doesn't resolve then i would want off, too. personally, since the announcement of SGSII is so close, i would have waited just so i get hands on with it before jumping.

Those are my thoughts as well.

Since rooting and runing SRF, the Epic has been much improved compared to the stock Froyo device we all had (at least in my opinion).

Right now, I am tempted to jump ship and get the Photon; I've played with it a number of times at the Sprint store.

But, we're on the verge of getting Gingerbread. The Galaxy S II phones are almost here. The Photon is new. Too many overlapping arrivals at this point for me to make a definitive decision in terms of staying or going.

I'm not an early adapter...maybe a second adapter. I like to benefit from others when it comes to these sorts of things.;)

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Sorry you had issues with your epic. Neither my daughter or myself have had any of the issues you had and both our epics are stock.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

.....this.....

Hope the best for you. Many people have returned the photon in favor of waiting for the sgsii

......and this!

I've been hearing a lot of problems with the Photon myself. I've never been a fan of Motorola either. I think the screen of the Epic is better than the Photon's as well. I don't think any manufacturer can touch Sammy on their Super Amoled screens. I'm awating the SGS2 (aka the Epic Touch 4g) as well for my next upgrade.

Ricolando

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
The way I see it is that with these new SGSII's being so similar to one another and being released so many months after the international versions will mean that we can expect them to be much more reliable (proven design), and hopefully quicker updates. A big plus is that there's already a huge installed base and community support. The Photon is more of an unknown entity. I personally say if you like the fact Moto is owned by Google now (quicker updates?), the webtop expansion, and the world phone capabilities then the Photon is for you. If you're comparing hardware however there isn't much of a contest.

Q-fugee

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I ran Quadrant and Neocore on the old Epic and new Photon side-by-side and the Photon isn't faster. The screen looks like crap next to the older Epic as well.

I know a few people who have Photons and they all complain about its lousy 4G radio. Side-by-side with an EVO, the Photon had trouble connecting to 4G and then downloading a Netflix app while the EVO sailed away.

Other than the GSM radio, I'm unimpressed with the Photon. I do agree about the total lack of udpates or support from Sammy on their phones, though. If you hate Samsung, have you looked at the EVO 3D? I haven't seen any complaints about those.

--Qfg

mcp6530

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
Thought I would post one more response since i am the OP on this thread. Now that i have about 2 or 3 weeks of real world time with this phone I can draw more comparisons.

There is really only one comparison that I need to make - the most important thing for me is being able to use this phone without carrying 2 batteries at all times. This phone does it! I can use it all day long with Pandora and Iheartradio and not need to change out batteries! It's a huge relief and my girlfriend with her epic right next to mine is always running out of battery. The only thing I can attribute the longer battery life to is a stronger radio and not such a bright screen....beats me, i'm no techi so I don't know, but what i do know is that I can now get 14-18 hours out of this sucker without a recharge....not sleeping time either, i'm talking from 7am til 9pm at night with a lot of texting and at least 2.5 hours of screen-on time! try to get 3 hours of screen on time with your epic - not a chance!

I will go ahead and concede that the screen is brighter and nicer on the epic, but i'd much rather take a longer battery life than a brighter screen! Oh, one more thing, I can actually hear people on this thing! The phone actually works well! Much different from the epic where the earpiece always sounded awful and had a buzz/vibration sound if i turned it up too loud. This thing sounds perfect.

No problems for me with this photon on the 3g/4g signal. works like a charm in the chicagoland area but i rarely need to use it since home/office/and most other locations have wifi anyway.

The last thing I will do is buy another samsung device - they didn't care about the issues I called to complain about. I used to work for Sprint as a wireless business consultant (b2b sales) and samsung always had problems so not much has changed. Motorola did a solid job on this phone and i've never been a big moto fan....I always like sanyo devices but they seemed to have disappeared!

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
While I love the epic screen and overall phone design, the bugs have really reached my limit. That said, moto manages to make the ugliest phones I've ever seen...all of them I find hopelessly trapped in time circa 10years ago. While I feel the photon works well, I just don't want to use it, cheap plastic, weird edges, terrible edge buttons, but I hear it works well... Wish they could team up with samsung who has great hardware and little else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22