Gingerbread for Epic 4G now in the "if" status

kitchin

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
So after not hearing about any sort of leak in the gingerbread builds for a while on the OG Epic 4g, I decided to straight ask Sammy to see if I just might be lucky enough to get an answer from them or maybe get a Tech Support guy that would just uncaringly just spill the beans already.
Instead I get a response that puts me in the worst state of mind about this update. Here's what I got back:

Dear Guy Manliness,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Unfortunately, we are unable to speculate when/if this Gingerbread software revision might be available for
Samsung Epic 4G
due to the fact that this might lead to inaccurate information and confusion.

Should this become available, it will be posted on our website in the Samsung Download Center.

Should you have any issue with your phone, we invite you to call Samsung Customer Support by phone at our
toll free number 1-888-987-4357 between the hours 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Monday thru Friday, and 9:00 a.m.
to 6:00 p.m. Saturday, Central Standard Time.

Thank you for your continued interest in Samsung products.

Sincerely,

Sammy Guy

Technical Support (no names for privacy blah blah blah....)

Sh1t. That's what hits my gut as I read that it might not even be coming out in the first place. They could have easily just scrapped the whole thing and said f*** it.

this sucks

cheburashka

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't see anything wrong with that response. They simply said they don't want to give ETA and then not be able to meet that. That's all. They will push it when they think it is good and stable.

That said, I am quite upset that Verizon Epic LTE (Stratosphere) came out and has GB right out of the box! It is EXACTLY the SAME phone! ...and from Verizon, who is known for taking their sweet time with bloatware and updates. Un-friggin-believable!

Last edited:

kitchin

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
That's what I want to feel like but just having that EOL thing nagging at the back of mind, it's just making me too paranoid to not consider that they just stop the effort. No one ever said they have to do the update, and working at a retail tech store it's all too often I see this stuff happen. Usually I'm not this easily spooked but I love this phone and I want it to be the best phone possible.

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I don't see anything wrong with that response. They simply said they don't want to give ETA and then not be able to meet that. That's all. They will push it when they think it is good and stable.

That said, I am quite upset that Verizon Epic LTE (Stratosphere) came out and has GB right out of the box! It is EXACTLY the SAME phone! ...and from Verizon, who is known for taking their sweet time with bloatware and updates. Un-friggin-believable!

Well, it's not EXACTLY the same phone. It has different 4G hardware (LTE vs WiMAX), so maybe there are other differences too.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
One thing to keep in mind even with the Epic hitting its EOL that doesn't mean it won't get an update after its officially on the EOL. There have been devices that still received final updates long after they were pulled from the shelves.

thebullfrog

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, but I stll have serious doubts. Theyve been stringing us along for far too long and then suddenly stopped. I dont blame Sammy at this point either as I doubt they did that much work for so long just to drop it, and after all it is in the Stratosphere. I still think Sprint has decided to use updates (or lack thereof) to push people to upgrade. Which worked for me, I should get my Nexus S tomorrow, but only so I could be free of this kind of crap from the carriers. I think I'll just stic with Nexus devices from here on out. Gonna miss my keyboard though.

tomy2001

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
One thing to keep in mind even with the Epic hitting its EOL that doesn't mean it won't get an update after its officially on the EOL. There have been devices that still received final updates long after they were pulled from the shelves.

I agree with you Paul, the Epic 4g will get its upgrade to Gingerbread now that Ice cream OS is coming out in two days. I will probably buy a Nexus S because it will be one of the phones that is going to get ice cream OS first.:D

tomy2001

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, but I stll have serious doubts. Theyve been stringing us along for far too long and then suddenly stopped. I dont blame Sammy at this point either as I doubt they did that much work for so long just to drop it, and after all it is in the Stratosphere. I still think Sprint has decided to use updates (or lack thereof) to push people to upgrade. Which worked for me, I should get my Nexus S tomorrow, but only so I could be free of this kind of crap from the carriers. I think I'll just stic with Nexus devices from here on out. Gonna miss my keyboard though.

I am going to keep my Epic 4g until I get enoug money to buy a Nexus S 4g. I do not believe Epic 4g users will get Ice Cream OS. If the Epic 4g got the new Ice Cream OS, it would be when Nexus Prime becomes free with two years contract at Sprint. I believe the Prime will not come to Sprint any time soon, because it spent a lot of money on the Iphone 4S deal with Apple. 20 billion (according to some news at Phonearena)

thebullfrog

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I have a hard time imagining Sprint (or maybe samsung) failing to provide an update being a good reason to go to Apple. Plenty of other Android devices out there.

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
"IF" they dont have news soon, my anniversary is up and may go to the fruity darkside.

I'll second that. The instability of Android is too unnerving for me. I like the system but hate the support or lack there of. My Epic has too many problems that my fruit phone friends don't have. And when fruit phones do have problems, Apple usually has a fix in a reasonable amount of time.

Android is great, but spread too thin. Too many phones. Too many carriers. Too many variations. All eguals, not enough support.