Why buy if Sprint's getting LTE?

m_leflore

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I've owned an Epic for about a year now, and that's my first Android device (came from a Pre). I've really been contemplating getting the Epic 4g Touch, but now that there is confirmation of Sprint deploying LTE in 2012, what's the point in spending the money if my phone will be obsolete in less than a year? Thoughts? I mean, I may just buy the Epic Touch anyway, but I'd still like to know what others are thinking about this...

Devtodi

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
I've owned an Epic for about a year now, and that's my first Android device (came from a Pre). I've really been contemplating getting the Epic 4g Touch, but now that there is confirmation of Sprint deploying LTE in 2012, what's the point in spending the money if my phone will be obsolete in less than a year? Thoughts? I mean, I may just buy the Epic Touch anyway, but I'd still like to know what others are thinking about this...

We still have a year left on the contract but probably till 2013 till sprint gets LTE, and will probably charge Verizon prices for LTE phones and service. I think I am still one phone away from LTE but the source code just dropped for GB so there are some seriously fast ROMs coming out very soon. Consider rooting and keeping your Epic- there's tons of life left in the old dog yet.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site

It won't be obsolete per se but I too am holding off to see where LTE goes. If they fail at LTE too I just won't get anything until this dies.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site

Following your logic, my Epic will be far ahead of the technology for a few years yet. Sprint is not going to shut off wimax services anytime soon after the upgrade to LTE (not like there is a whole lot of areas that have it to begin with). I'm lucky to get 1xEV (3g), and am usually stuck on Sprints Vision (2g 1xRTT) network pretty much everywhere I go. Besides, the speed is all relative. I have friends that get LTE on their verizon phones, but can't watch much netflix or youtube (really the only things that really benefit from the higher speed) because of the 2gb cap they are subject to.

cerobles1

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion, if I had the $200 and the upgrade from my line I'd defenitly get the E4GT just because it's a far better device than the Epic. Sprint's LTE wont b deployed until 2012, and if it is like Wimax that took forever for some cities to get (and some didn't get it at all) depending on your location you might not experience Sprint's LTE in your hometown. I'm just glad they deployed it on the Tampa bay area. My phone gets 4G inside my house so that's a good thing for me. Hopefully LTE will do the same and have stronger indoor signal. Overall, I'd get the E4GT by the time your ready for your next upgrade Sprint will b done with the deployment of LTE and u can buy another phone then, after all the bugs have been worked out. The Epic still has a lot of life left in it. Think of a 1991 vehicle that still runs. Yes, it takes you from point A to point B. And as long as you control your itch for soething new and old device would do just fine. Good luck man.

Thadrow

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Well patience is key. If you have a lot of it, wait. My upgrades due in Dec 2012. And with a great dev community for Epic I might hold out till my upgrade with this phone. At that time there should be a upgrade for 3G on Sprint as well as a flagship LTE device. I was going to switch to Verizon, they have great coverage in my area but data caps which is a real dealbreaker. I have bad service here but I use Roam Control to switch when I really need it so I can bare and hope they improve coverage here by the time I can upgrade..

But everyones different, id say be patient for LTE. But if you want to have a new phone your choice and not a bad one. :)

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Unless this phone dies or GB breaks it, I plan to stay with the Epic for a while. I have friends that have the other Galaxy S phones for AT&T, T-Moblile, and some of them don't even care to upgrade to Froyo (yes they are still on Eclair, but they don't get OTA updates and must do it on Kies Mini). So it's all perspective. You get the next phone and it will have bugs and issues too.

m_leflore

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Thank all of ya'll for the responses. My problem is that I have my last Premier upgrade on the 1st of November. My Epic has been freezing and the home screen keeps going blank (all of my apps disappear). Each time I take it in, they offer to reset it (not going to happen). Those reasons are why I'm considering the Epic Touch, plus, I had to delete a lot of apps to make room on the HD of my phone. I live in Houston, so the 4g is pretty decent. I also would love the ET4G's battery life. I think I know what I have to do. I may as well update, although the Epic was a pretty darn good phone and great for my first Android experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87