Do you still like your Epic 4G

digitalfan

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I am about to get one and just making sure people like their phone still. I have heard great things about the original Epic then I heard bad things. so what are you r thoughts?

carraser891

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I am about to get one and just making sure people like their phone still. I have heard great things about the original Epic then I heard bad things. so what are you r thoughts?

I love my epic. I've had it since Dec 2010. No problems, blazing fast. Only problem is Samsung's poor update support.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Love the epic but want to do away with the keyboard. I never use it so I want something thinner.

A friend is thinking of using his update for a 4g touch and trading me for my epic and 100 cash. I get the decision from him on sunday.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

lafountain

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Got my Epic October 2010, have enjoyed it completely, but like Keith have come to realize I don't need the keyboard like I thought I would when I first bought it, but overall it is still a great device.

big_bake

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I've had mine since January. Loved it since it was my first smart phone and top of the line at the time. Got me into rooting and all the custom stuff which is fun, but I feel stuck with the Epic and Samsung's support (or lack there of). I've been itching to trade to a nexus s so I can be up to date OS wise and have a slightly thinner phone.

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I love the Epic and the camera is still AMAZING. I have taken some awesome printable pics with my epic.. As other's I got a keyboard slider because I came from a BB and thought I'll be using it, but I no longer use my keyboard.. I however will wait till years end (tax season) and purchase my next phone outright so as to not have any contracts, just in case Sprint changes something that might make me angry lol.. I have already purchased my other lines outright as well and this is now the only line still under contract..

cerobles1

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I gotta say I still love my Epic. Currently I'm running Tunderhawk 1.1 and it's so far proved to be a realiable ROM. I would definitely recommend to spend the extra money and get the Epic 4G Touch as In my opinion the later is a far better phone. I barely use the physical keyboard, and I've gotten used to the on-screen keyboard. You also get a bigger screen. All in all I love my epic, plus I payed too much for it to get one year out of it. Have fun and good luck.

digitalfan

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I gotta say I still love my Epic. Currently I'm running Tunderhawk 1.1 and it's so far proved to be a realiable ROM. I would definitely recommend to spend the extra money and get the Epic 4G Touch as In my opinion the later is a far better phone. I barely use the physical keyboard, and I've gotten used to the on-screen keyboard. You also get a bigger screen. All in all I love my epic, plus I payed too much for it to get one year out of it. Have fun and good luck.

I will probably get a Galaxy S3 and/or Galaxy S4. Depends if I wait a year or two. My two year upgrade is March 2013. But my dad never uses his upgrade(s) unless he has to, neither does my mom, and they both get one next year. I love Samsung phones.

SomeAudioGuy

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I like the Epic a LOT. It's the best option for a keyboard on Sprint at the moment. If you don't need a keyboard though, I would recommend the Epic Touch.
As others have said, Samsung has pretty miserable software support, and the Epic is nearing EOL, so I'll be curious to see if we get any additional bug fixes or updates after GB drops.
If you want good hardware and good software support, it would be best to wait for a Nexus. There are rumors that even the Nexus One may get ICS at some point...

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
My wife and I love ours. She likes her keyboard the best. I found I don't use mine as much, but like it anyway (former Crackberry addict). I use Swype most of the time. I had some probs with it sleeping but finally narrowed it down to 3 apps that I had stayed logged into. We got ours a year ago August the first day of release. I will probably keep them for a while longer. I don't feel I need an upgrade yet. I prefer to wear it out a year or more if it holds up that long.

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I love my epic, recently upgraded to EH17 and also rooted it. Haven't had any reboot or freeze issues since switching from GB EF02.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't start a new contract with one today, but I still like it enough to stay off contract indefinitely if LTE doesn't get here.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I make heavy use of mine. It works wonderfully. I picked it up back in march when BB had them on sale for a low low price of FREE. and have been happy with that decision, especially coming from the Samsung Intercept. I find for longer typing sessions, the keyboard is great, otherwise, it's kinda a pain to slide it out so I use both screen/physical about the same amount. It's a great built device, the software support is horrendous (from carrier/manufacturer), the Devs are great, and it's downright near impossible to truly brick it even if you mess up the "recovery" mode.

I would not start a new contract with it at this point, as it's already got a year under it's belt in this fast moving world of devices, and it's upcoming? upgrade to GB will likely be it's last official update. I have no problem hanging onto the Epic for quite a while longer. I've had it almost a year, and I'm not itching for a new device, a first for me ;).

prEvo

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I got it in Aug 2010 and I still love it. I really like the keyboard. The screen is way bright. It works. I got two extended batteries off ebay from China for 10 bux a piece. Killer. Last long time! Playing Neo Geo games rule! The keyboard is great for emulators etc... still love it!

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
My wife and I love ours. She likes her keyboard the best. I found I don't use mine as much, but like it anyway (former Crackberry addict). I use Swype most of the time. I had some probs with it sleeping but finally narrowed it down to 3 apps that I had stayed logged into. We got ours a year ago August the first day of release. I will probably keep them for a while longer. I don't feel I need an upgrade yet. I prefer to wear it out a year or more if it holds up that long.

I could almost quote you word for word, except I came from Palm and I use SwiftKey X. Both my wife and I are also rooted, undervolted and overclocked at 1.3ghz on a stock froyo rom. This is truly a wonderful and fast phone and with super battery life to boot. I get about 16hrs and she gets about 36 per charge on a stock 1500mah battery. No special software or weird regimes, all radios are on and we just simply use them.

I paid $150 for mine on a special discount and she got hers free on another special promotion. ne of the best deals I got! :D :cool:

Reactions: rando991

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I could almost quote you word for word, except I came from Palm and I use SwiftKey X. Both my wife and I are also rooted, undervolted and overclocked at 1.3ghz on a stock froyo rom. This is truly a wonderful and fast phone and with super battery life to boot. I get about 16hrs and she gets about 36 per charge on a stock 1500mah battery. No special software or weird regimes, all radios are on and we just simply use them.

I paid $150 for mine on a special discount and she got hers free on another special promotion. ne of the best deals I got! :D :cool:

Yeah that reminds me, I leave my GPS on all the time now...I just make sure if I call up an app that needs a GPS signal to end it if it doesn't get the signal it wants after a few seconds. Had no problems with battery life doing this...at least this way I don't get prompts for my location all the time. Another thing is, that once I verified I was getting normal battery life, I turned off Battery % widgets, since I was paying too much attention to have a battery charged in the 90% range (Li-ion batteries drop signicantly fast thru 90% than they do the rest of the 80% range, so the plain stock battery bar works better for me).

brody8898

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I just got mine a few days ago after swapping from an EVO, while I do like it I find the slide-out keyboard to be endlessly annoying. I HATE the wiggle (even though it's slight) while I'm on the phone.

Since I'm new to the phone I was just wanting to ask a few things.

-Anyone have any advice for me improving battery life?

-And finally, has anyone glued to keyboard to keep it from moving?

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
-Leave Auto sync off until you want to check for email, then turn it back off.
-Go to Airplane mode for 20 secs after a reboot then back to stop the phone search bug
-Go to menu/settings/applications/running services and stop OmaDRM and SNS Service (must do this after every reboot)
-If you use Lattitude, Amazon MP3, or Facebook apps sign OUT of the app (don't just exit with the back key)--if you FB running to get updates, then you have to accept less than average battery life. (you basically don't want to remain logged into any APP unless it's thru a browser).
-Use QuickPics instead of the stock photo Gallery
-Use Dolphin Mini browser instead of the stock Internet Browser
-Use Adv Task Killer ON MANUAL (don't use auto kill), and peridodically check it, you will see things like NASCAR and SPRINT ZONE, etc starting up on their own, which you can kill
-you can root, and use Titanium Pro to freeze autostarting apps, but my wife is unrooted and gets just as good a battery life as I do.

Funky Cricket

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Love mine.

I wouldn't start a contract with one though. I'd go Epic 4g touch instead.

But I see no reason that I will need to upgrade until LTE is rolled out or they refuse to honor it under insurance. I do have one issue with home screen rotation when sliding the kb in and out, but I think a hard reset to default will fix. i haven't wanted to backup and restore everything so I've been living with it. Otherwise everything works great.

It does have a few bugs. bluetooth sound occasionally and some oddness with screen rotation in apps that takes an odd fix, but nothing that is a deal breaker for me. and the screen is AWESOME. netflix on this thing is great.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon