1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Root for the purpose of speed only

so i'm new to this Rooting of the phone. I have read about it, and it seems that you root, then you have to download and ROM, which seems to me you basically start back to 0 and completely recustomize your phone. OK, so, i downloaded the benchmark ap, and ran a test, I got a 2813, which is like in the middle, i see the galaxy s 2 is over 5500. I've downloaded and utilize all the GoLauncherEX aps and themes and really like it alot, it's seems alot lighter than the stock interface and launcher. My question is this about rooting, can i root my phone, but keep the phone how it is?? what i mean is, can i root my phone, and have everything set up and displayed how it is right now, using the go launcher, basically if i rooted it, i wouldn't ever be able to tell the difference that if it were rooted or not rooted?? It seems like a ton of steps and basically all i want is to get the max Mhz out of my phone and be able to govern that aspect of my phone. Thanks

Default Re: Root for the purpose of speed only

Quote Originally Posted by AdamM76 View Post
    so i'm new to this Rooting of the phone. I have read about it, and it seems that you root, then you have to download and ROM, which seems to me you basically start back to 0 and completely recustomize your phone. OK, so, i downloaded the benchmark ap, and ran a test, I got a 2813, which is like in the middle, i see the galaxy s 2 is over 5500. I've downloaded and utilize all the GoLauncherEX aps and themes and really like it alot, it's seems alot lighter than the stock interface and launcher. My question is this about rooting, can i root my phone, but keep the phone how it is?? what i mean is, can i root my phone, and have everything set up and displayed how it is right now, using the go launcher, basically if i rooted it, i wouldn't ever be able to tell the difference that if it were rooted or not rooted?? It seems like a ton of steps and basically all i want is to get the max Mhz out of my phone and be able to govern that aspect of my phone. Thanks
    Yes you can root your device and not change things. All root is doing is opening the Superuser access to stuff that Sprint/Sammy feels you don't need to access which is root file system levels.

What can you do? Well you can delete out bloatware that you don't want. Run wireless tethering for free. Use backup and restore apps like Titanium or MyBackup Root. Then you have naturally installing custom ROMs and kernels.

Really if your looking at remaining stock then there isn't much more than removing some bloatware or using Titanium to "freeze" certain processes/apps from starting that could help speed up your device a little.. If your looking for a big swing in benchmarks/speed then you would need to go the custom ROM/kernel route because kernels is where the speed is as that controls the processor speed and allows overclocking of the processor.

Really from the sounds of it you probably have your phone optimized about the best it can get with the exception of dumping some bloatware. Comparing it to to the SGSII is a far stretch.... Single core verses dual core.... The SGSII is going to win hands down every time.

FYI, once you do root your device the only way to return back to stock is to use a program called Odin on your computer (PC/Windows preferred) and flash the device's OS back to factory stock to remove root.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

It seems like a fast paced world once you start getting into and staying up with ROMs and rooting's. I do like what it offers for sure, just somewhat intimidated by all steps it requires. It's possible it isn't all that bad to convert to rooting and ROMs, it feels overwhelming right now though. I do appreciate your information about the matter, i may sit on it a little while, learn more and maybe take that leap someday soon.

No problem there Adam.. I have found from helping many members it is good to research as much as you can, get familiar with the terminology involved in rooting and ROMs and you will find things much easier when you do take that next step...

It does open a whole new world for you on any device. Removing bloatware and the stuff I already listed is just the tip of the iceberg.... You start getting into being able to run custom themes for your device, different modified applications, kernels, it really gets to be involved if you choose to get into all those things but people catch on quickly and normally never look back once they see how fun it all is.

Once you do find that setup your pleased with and is fairly stable its a very pleasing experience knowing you took your device and pushed it past the "stock" setup and made it into something you really can enjoy and make even more customized to be your own.

I have a thread you can look at to help with some terminology. Its a bit outdated as far as versions, etc.. but the general terms and methods used are still the same...

[FAQ] Q & A on Rooting/ROMs/Methods
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

Global Posts
    1,090 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock - but Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by AdamM76 View Post

To me the safest way to get speed is to root, get a kernel that can be overclocked, and leave the rom and file system stock.

You will end up with a stock stable phone with the advantages of root and have a snappier phone thru overclocking - but test each step in overclocking - some phones can handle a higher mhz increase more so than others.

I am stable to 1.4ghz - but best battery life is 1.3ghz and with a little undervolting if your phone can handle it will give you equal to if not better battery life with a snappier phone to boot than stock! IMHO.
    Samsung Galaxy S3 (tweaked and rooted)
    Samsung Epic 4G (retired rooted backup)
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
    Apple iPad 3 (yes, I have one of those also)

For all mobile devices - get one!
    XDA kickstand4u tm Review

Oh my! I rooted my SGS3!
    Rock Solid and Perfect!

If I have helped you - visit my site - now that's a new one!