are we getting ICS? lol

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Are we serious? Sorry maybe there will be a port one day but thats it....

I see this thread going nowhere fast.. LOL

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Nexus S is getting it. Same hardware. Why not the Epic 4g?

Nexus S is getting it. Similar hardware. Why the Epic 4g?

To elaborate on that, Devs have been trying to work off the other Galaxy kernels and the Nexus S 4g kernel to get a working GB (Cyanogen/Miui/other rom) onto the Epic. They have had a lot of issues getting the kernel to boot on the Epic. This says that even though specs are pretty much the same, there are some underlying differences in the hardware that prevents Nexus S things from being dropped on the Epic. I think it's the Facinate that they found the Kernel to be nearly compatible with the Epic, but still needed some pretty major changes

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I agree with ratsttam. They are close but still have their differences..

I didn't mean to come off as rude on my response to the OP, but seriously the time its taken to get close to a GB release it would take another 2 or 3 years (LOL) to get ICS if Samsung did decide to undertake such a project which it already sounds like the original Galaxy S (Epic/Captivate/Fascinate/Vibrant) series is out of the running for ICS.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I really don't know the real reason behind why its hard to get things rolling on the Epic.. I don't think it has anything to do with the lack of devs in the past.. We have had some great names with a lot of talent that worked on the Epic 4g. Some will disagree with me on that point and say how HTC has had better devs, I don't really think its that HTC or other devices have better devs its just those devices are easier to work with for whatever reasons.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I really don't know the real reason behind why its hard to get things rolling on the Epic.. I don't think it has anything to do with the lack of devs in the past.. We have had some great names with a lot of talent that worked on the Epic 4g. Some will disagree with me on that point and say how HTC has had better devs, I don't really think its that HTC or other devices have better devs its just those devices are easier to work with for whatever reasons.

I've heard of people taking roms from one HTC device, and having them work with little to no changes on another htc device. Either their kernels are built to adapt to more variables (like how a linux live cd works on a LOT of computers). So once they get things rolling on one, getting past the locked bootloaders and such, it's all smooth going from there.

Samsung seems to highly optimize the kernel to the specific hardware. This is exasperated with the Epic having a keyboard, notification light and camera flash, that I suspect causes a hang in other kernels when they find and can't identify the hardware and other slider related items.

cerobles1

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I guess in the end as long as I have a good leaked that's running good and it's not giving me a lot of issues I'd be happy. After all that's exactly what I've been doing this whole time with Froyo and Gingerbread. I think that's never gng to change for this phone. If you want ICS I'd suggets u get a device that's been officially approved to get ICS or wait until next year as a lot more devices will be running that OS instead of Gingerbread and that's just my opinion.

josearmz10789

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I agree with ratsttam. They are close but still have their differences..

I didn't mean to come off as rude on my response to the OP, but seriously the time its taken to get close to a GB release it would take another 2 or 3 years (LOL) to get ICS if Samsung did decide to undertake such a project which it already sounds like the original Galaxy S (Epic/Captivate/Fascinate/Vibrant) series is out of the running for ICS.

Paul is the Epic capable of handling ICS not that it will ever happen but is the hardware good enough for ICS.

cheburashka

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
if you mean the "specs" then yes they are good enough because they are exactly the same as those of nexus s 4g. that said, there are the *differences* mentioned before which make the epic... special... so that created difficulties for devs and even for samsung.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yes I believe also the hardware is good enough but due to the physical kb and other things that seem to have plaqued Sprint/Samsung with updates it makes ICS a near impossible task without dumping major resources into doing so...