Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts

Default Updated to Gingerbread yesterday. What's different?

What should be different in GB. I really notice no difference other than the notification area looking different.

Also, all my contects are stored to the phone, how do I merge them to my Google account?

ROM
    Rooted, EB13

Default Re: Updated to Gingerbread yesterday. What's different?

I noticed that I cannot go into running applications and clear data for contact storage.
    Just my $2 worth.

It used to be my 2 cents worth but things have gone up a bit because of inflation.

Global Posts
    359 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brody8898 View Post
    What should be different in GB. I really notice no difference other than the notification area looking different.

Also, all my contects are stored to the phone, how do I merge them to my Google account?
    Go to official Sprint Epic GB release thread and you will see full delta list.

Use the Import/Export option from contacts. Export to SD card, then turn around and import. You should get a prompt to Phone or Google account.

via Tapatalk

As I have said to others... This is a lot more than visual aspects.. It is highly optimized for our devices & processors...

Many people are reporting very snappy... Better than Froyo...

Many little bugs from Froyo fixed.. Some are not like GPS for some...

There is a lot of behind the scenes fixes and updates that the user doesn't really see but its there to help and improve the device.. Compared to Froyo updates this seems to be working out as the best update yet.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

Global Posts
    780 Global Posts

Most obvious so far:

- Better bluetooth reception
    - Faster overall performance
    - Much improved battery life

no keyboard lag
    better gps for me so far
    fixed my keyboard in and out screen rotation lag
    date on lock screen (i find that super handy)
    my phone "feels" peppier and a bit more snappy in responsiveness

Hoping it fixed the bluetooth issues, but I haven't had a chance to test it out with plantronics voyager 755 yet.

Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 alpha 1

Nothing. Forget it. Go get an iphone.
    Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean people aren't after you.
    emmy1515 likes this.

ROM
    EI22, Nubernel+ 2.6.35.7

I gotta admit I'm getting some fantastic battery life on initial review! It may change as I continue to get everything installed and running again, but in the mean time, I'm noticing a massive difference! Add this along with soon getting the 1800mah battery and I'm golden. So happy this finally came out!

Global Posts
    359 Global Posts

Ted, dude. Harsh.

via Tapatalk

Hey now.. Ted is my guy... He's come a long way.. Teds a ROM flashing monster now..
    Paul

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tedcousens View Post
    Nothing. Forget it. Go get an iphone.
    Thanks for the info. A massive help.

**side note** It does seem like I'm getting better battery life now.

Global Posts
    171 Global Posts

huge battery improvement...was holding off root waiting for GB, am now rooted and loving this phone as much as my old pre.

ROM
    Rooted, EB13

Quote Originally Posted by bakerja View Post
    huge battery improvement...was holding off root waiting for GB, am now rooted and loving this phone as much as my old pre.
    I am also having huge battery improvement. I also enjoy the battery status. Much more information. I have noticed that instead of my screen hogging most of the usage it now is the Android System with battery life much improved.
    Just my $2 worth.

It used to be my 2 cents worth but things have gone up a bit because of inflation.

ROM
    EI22, Nubernel+ 2.6.35.7

I'm now going on 22 hours since my last charge! This is huge! I was only getting on average 10-12 hours before.

I noticed that I have 2 QIK Apps on my phone and I can't delete one of them. Has anyone noticed this?

ROM
    EI22, Nubernel+ 2.6.35.7

Quote Originally Posted by tchughes View Post
    I noticed that I have 2 QIK Apps on my phone and I can't delete one of them. Has anyone noticed this?
    Are you rooted? Some apps require this to remove them.

I haven't done anything like that to my phone. I just manually updated my phone.

If you have tried to uninstall them via Settings/Apps/Manage Apps/Qik then uninstall and it won't allow it then its bloatware that can't remove without rooting your device.
    Paul

Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 alpha 1

Thanks for the info. A massive help.

**side note** It does seem like I'm getting better battery life now.
    Sorry, perhaps a bit impulsive on my part. I think the biggest change is reception, the EI22 modem should be pulling in a much stronger signal, of course if you root, then you can see massive changes in performance.
    Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean people aren't after you.
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by garapueto View Post
    I'm now going on 22 hours since my last charge! This is huge! I was only getting on average 10-12 hours before.
    I'm getting the same or worse battery life.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif

Quote Originally Posted by keithvetter View Post
    I'm getting the same or worse battery life.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    My battery life is also about the same or slightly worse.

Not good to hear.. Well its coming that time now a day or two into things to truly see the battery life.... Especially if you can't shut down extra processes running as Keith Vetter stated... Bummer

I guess like in the past it will continue in the future.... Best battery will always be achieved by rooting and installing a nice battery sipping kernel..

Phone manufactures figure if your getting an average of 6, 8, 10 hrs on battery life you have successfully made it through a normal day of life or work day. ( Ya right...)
    Paul

ROM
    Rooted, EB13

Quote Originally Posted by gyoung345 View Post
    I noticed that I cannot go into running applications and clear data for contact storage.
    Anyone know how to do this now?
    Just my $2 worth.

Quote Originally Posted by gyoung345 View Post
    Anyone know how to do this now?
    I think this is unresolved at this time...
    Paul

So far I've updated two phones. Both updates went smooth. Only one app that put the date on the status bar doesn't work which frankly doesn't matter now as Gingerbread has a nicer display on the unlock screen anyway.

I've noticed the phone is definitely more responsive. Before updating I was comparing the two Epic's we have and it's just a bunch of little things like how fast if goes from portrait to landscape, or how fast an app opens, or how fast Bluetooth connects or how fast google voice search responds or the fact that Skype is actually useable on Gingerbread where is was very poor/useless on Froyo.

I have also noticed the battery life is better now. I haven't had a chance to do a proper test, but as I have a 3500 extended battery, the change is probably more noticeable. Even with the extended battery if I turned on Wifi and Bluetooth I would see a few % drop after a phone call or checking/reading mail. Normally as of this writing I would be down to 80-85% by this time in the day WITHOUT wifi on. Today WITH wifi I'm only down to 90%.

I am a power user, but not a super user. I use the phone, bluetooth, wifi, email, texts and internet and get over 200 emails per day. I don't play games except for the occasional Solitaire or Angry Birds.

Other users may have different results, but so far for me... the phone is finally acting as it probably should have been acting, when it was new. No complaints.

I'll keep testing and do a good battery test as well. I'll do some testing on the stock battery as well. For us the stock battery was pretty much useless. We had to keep the phone on a charge, especially using the GPS. It think it may be different now, but that's speculation.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast